The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Talk to me...weird hind end issue, updated;Its EPM.

Ok, horse is an 18yo QH gelding, I have had him since he was 3. Leased him out for about 2.5 years, got him back in March. At that time, horse has been our of work for about 6 months or so. Started him back, jumping once a week flat once to twice a week either undersaddle or on the lounge.

Showed him in July, all was fine. The following symptoms started off gradually over the course of the past 2 to 3 months: He would swap from his right lead to left lead (behind) a few strides before a jump, this progressed to changing right out of the corner, to doing on the long side, to not wanting to pick up the right lead at all. This was also not on a consistant basis, some days he would be just fine, no swapping, others it took all I had to get him to pick up the right lead at all. Had chiro out who adjusted his pelvis. He seemed to improve a little bit but the issues described above were still an "intermintent" problem.

Moved horse home and started watching him moving in the pasture, etc. Had hocks injected with HA on 09/09/08. 09/13/08 came out to feed int he AM to nice road rash on both front legs and the outside of the left hock. Bell boots were shredded. Some swelling no heat, cold hosed and cleaned and moved to a smaller paddock so he could still move but not run, etc.

Yesterday evening swelling was down, no lameness at all.

This AM, no swelling, no heat, etc. Put him int he round pen and heres what I saw;

To the left; walking, horse stepping under himself well, no lameness, tripping, etc. Trot, REALLY moving well, hocks seem to be engaging well. Left hind seems a little weak, toe slightly drags, and he trips slightly with the left hind. Asked for canter, RUSHES into transition, once in the gate back end goes down, left hind seems to nto come under his body and he trips, which results in his entire back end coming out from under him.

To the Right: walking...left hind seems to "twist" inward (toe point outand the rest of the leg leans in) Each step gets worse, it like he could not control that leg or wasnt aware of what it was doing, his rear end swings outward due to the fact that that left hind is now practiclly touching the right hind and is not supporting his weight, down he goes in the back. Asked for a trot and stopped him as he fell in the back again while attempting to pick up the trot.

Watching him walk in his pasture and that left hind just seems to be completly useless to him. He seems to forget its there or is unable to bring it back under him when it starts to lean inward.

I will be placing a call to the vet tomorrow AM, but just wanted thoughs or opinions on this. I dont think its his hocks, those seems to be working better, and its only his left hind. I'll post a video as soon as I get one too...that may show it better than I am explaining it.

I am at my wits end...could it be neurological? EPM, Lyme? Just weakness?
    Last edited by relocatedTXjumpr; Sep. 15, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Default Hay

Will you post what the vet says, I'll be curious. It might just be old age but it does sound like there's more there....
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I will post what the vet says when I talk to him tomorrow.

My old guy was swapping behind and toe dragging and it ended up being severe bilateral high ringbone. Jingles for Rudy!

Did you do any neuro checks on him yet? If nothing pops up neurologically, I would think SI. He has many symptoms/behaviors that are exactly what my guy did when he did something to his SI. Is he sore at all on palpation around his pelvis or SI joint?

No repsonse to palpations that I could see. I checked along his spine, hip, rear end, etc and got no pinned ears, tenderness, etc.

If its SI, is that something the chiro should come out for? I'm trying to figure out if the chiro should be the next visit or the vet, I really dont know.

Rudy fell down in his stall while eating and wouldnt get up. Had to open the back door and pull out the partition to get him up, call has been placed to the vet.

Oh my, how scary!! Jingling for your boy!

Oh no!

Jingling for you and your boy!!

Would an allergic reaction to the hock injections cause this? Right now i am thinking EPM, but my brain is going crazy trying to figure this out.

An allergic reaction would most likely have occurred earlier than now. IMHO. I also would suspect EPM. How is his temp?

Yikes - watching for an update on Rudy!

Certainly sounds like it could be neurological, especially with the falling

If he's not EPM positive, take a look at the cervical spine. Blush's weird hind end issues were due to problems at C6/C7.

No temp, no swelling or heat in any feet or limbs. General disposition is fine, hes eating, drinking, pooping, nickering, etc.

Got to thinking and, for about the past week or so when i had him in the cross ties, he stands very oddly (now that I think about its odd anyway). He stands with those back feet directly under him, almoth too far under him and LEANS on the cross ties, head up in the air, almost for support.

And he will not back up, at all, period. He also has muscle or fat loss in his hip area. I didnt think anything of these things at the time, but now when you put them all together they seem like so much more.

Maybe the hock injections have nothing to do with it, coule be we did them about the time whatever else this is was starting to show, or maybe it unmasked something else, I dont know.

I'm trying to research as much as possible on EPM and such and trying not to panic, but of course my mind goes to the worse case senerio.

I'll update as soon as the vet gets out here.

What were the hocks injected with?

I have seen steroid hock injections cause an EPM flare. The horse was normal or nearly normal prior to injections and was very, very not normal neurologically following injections.

Good luck!

Jingling hard for Rudy!!! Please let us know asap what the vet thinks. It does sound an awful lot like EPM, the stance, the hind end issue and the loss of muscle mass in the hips.

So sorry you have to do this. Jingling for you too.

If you need anything, lemme know.

Blu
    (formerly sunshinega... and too lazy/stupid to figure out how to get my old name back)

Jingling for you and Rudy.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My mare (20) had some strange issues as well, thought it was EPM at first, but not until she lost the muscling on her rump ( only one side) and started to stand with her hind legs under her, did we finally find, through the help of an acupunture vet and a masseuse, that she has a broken hip point that is displaced ! Had to have happened way back in may when she fell getting up from a roll in the pasture. She's doing well now, the muscles are building back up again.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

What do the feet look like? Long toes can lead to a horse standing like that to unweight the more painful areas, such as the heels.

Jingling!