The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Special Event

I realize a lot of these post are years old, but I am wondering if anyone here has current information on "Special Event." I have one of his babies who is 6 yr now and am just wondering where he is standing these days and how he is doing... What about Final Pool is he still standing at all? I know he is must be pretty old now..

Thanks!

Default Special Event

Contact information is still correct...he's with Nancy Free and her parents (Karl and Nancy) at her Brass Ring Farm in Buckley, WA. You can find her on Facebook. I don't think they're standing him anymore and I'm pretty sure Final Pool is dead but I don't know that for sure.

I have a Special Event baby as well, same age as yours....mine is unstarted at 6 because he had colic surgery (2x) as a two year old and the subsequent incisional infection left him with an unstable abdominal wall until last year. He's a quirky guy at best but very sweet. Don't really know what I have and don't know if it's too late to start him. He's 17.1H and very pretty but he's going to be hot.

I know it has been some time since people have posted but im looking for answers or others that might be going through the same as me. I have been doing some research because I have a gelding who's Sire is Special Event out of Final Pool.
    I inseminated our mare 8 years ago with Special Event and its been a roller coaster ever since. To make a long sad story short, a little over a year ago he went to training and has been lame ever since. Our vet and Washington State University Vets diagnosed him with DSLD or I should say ESPA (equine systemic proteoglycan accumulation) this disease affects the horse's connective tissue through out its body but most of the time it shows up in the suspensory's, that's where the DSLD comes in (degenerative suspensory ligament desmitis) We have been devastated every since we found out about this. His suspensory's will eventually breakdown until his fetlocks are parallel to the ground making him so painful he will be euthanized. We now have him on supplements that help prolong the disease, which thankfully he is doing well but is not rideable. Im reaching out to see if any other pool or event babies have been diagnosed, because our vets and research are telling us it's hereditary. Which I'm not blaming the sire, I realize it could also be from our mares. I Am just wanting some type of answers and thought I'd start here since I found this forum and some where speaking about stopping or lameness issues with their babies. What kind of lameness stopping issues are being seen? Thanks and hopefully ill hear from someone soon.

1 members found this post helpful.

After having a few Final Pool mares and other offspring, I can say in my experience they were very sweet and highly rideable. Won't comment on SE's offspring as I have not owned any, just seen them at shows.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    (former)Chair, USSHBA Positive ID Working Group; USSHBA Steering Committe member

This kind of type of situation has been brought up before. I certainly understand wanting to place blame on a stallion but your horse had a mother as well. Do they tell you how this condition is inherited? I too have had a couple horses and known of 3 more with dsld classic symptoms. One was a purebred Arabian and the other a warmblood...likely Holsteiner cross and the other came from a repeated cross of a Clyde on a TB mare and every offspring was affected but neither the Clyde or the tb mare seemed affected. It is known to be in warmbloods though not talked about. It is being studied in Paso Finos and related breeds and perhaps the high incidence in Pasos will help define the inheritance genetically. For you I would become involved in any research so the genetics of your horse might be included and they can learn as much as possible about this condition. Genetic conditions that don't occur until the horse is older are much harder to get control of. Often horses have been sold and are lost track of and their conditions are not reported to the breeder. Some stallions like most mares have too few offspring to be able to tell if there is a genetic issue. People get all unctious about faults they see but they are much less sophisticated about lurking recessives waiting for a gene they can dominate. Again I am sorry I have been there with DSLD and EPSSM. There is a lot to learn from horses clearly diagnosed I hope you give them the opportunity to learn as much as possible. PatO

Interestingly, I know a Final Pool granddaughter whose front pasterns did not hold up to jumping and she's since retired. Super mover though.

I would think that anyone who saw FP show with his amateur rider( way back when) would have nothing but good things to say about the stallion. Once he started breeding the tables turned and he IMO was very inconsistent and was not a great sire. Many offspring very considered "wonky" behind, or weedy especially the full TB's. The apples fell pretty far from the tree. He had some nice foals to be sure and the group out of Silver Lining were by far the nicest. Silver Lining was Holst IIRC. FP had a few foals that were so oversize it was weird. Huge awkward creatures.They were never much use and kind of faded away. He was a bit straight in the hocks and did show some DSLD as a teenager. He lived to a ripe old age but I never saw him as an old horse.

I had a stallion that showed signs of DSLD and he had 2 foals that I thought "inherited " his weak fetlocks. It was not considered "inheritable" as it is today but more of a sign of weakness, old age or injury. Quite common in TBs especially older broodmares.

I bred a full TB by Final Pool - purposely picked a sporthorse TB pedigree - and she was a gorgeous mare. She won everything she was entered into, and especially did well in breed shows....champion broodmare in her last show. I have her daughter and her son.

My mare was the talk of her Westphalian inspection, even though she was the only TB, judged by Albert Kley and Margaret from the Westphalian registry, including a ridden portion and a chute jumping portion. She won her CSH inspection, too.

If Pool was not used a lot, it may have had more to do with the fact that his owner did not keep his registrations paid up, and he did not 'campaign' him too much.
    Pool was the first - and for a long time - the only TB stallion to have been licenced by the Dutch Warmblood society. But at one time there were quite a few around. It is all quite far back now. There was frozen around...don't know if it is still.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

No one said there were not some nice horses but the line is pretty much gone now at least in the lower mainland. The OP was discussing DSLD not Westphalen or KWPN inspections. That was something else completely different.

The bottom line here is that it is incredibly heartbreaking for an owner to deal with such a condition, not to mention the suffering it causes to an affected animal!

Imagine having a beautiful 5 year old who has a great mind and is build for Dressage break completely down in both hinds as soon as he enters Dressage training and is shortly after that positively diagnosed with DSLD/ESPA!

I wish we already had a test that would put a stop to breeding affected animals. This would clear up this issue once and for all. Instead the condition still gets passed on due to indifference and ignorance.

It is most likely that the trait gets passed on by recessive genes, which explains why it does not show up in all horses but they may be carriers.

If a stallion has a reputation for throwing foals with 'soft' leg issues with a variety of mares I think the ethical thing for the breeder to do, would be to have the stallion thoroughly checked out for DSLD/ESPA, using Dr. Mero's diagnostics guidelines and if that comes back positive, to 1. stop breeding him and 2. inform owners of all his foals, that they may be carriers and to avoid breeding these horses!

The fact that he was retired early due to an in jury also increases the possibility that he is affected !

I had a Final Pool daughter, out of a Polish Arabian mare. Still sound at age 20+. Never any issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Choice Reg 12 jump 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	39491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Choice pasture.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	39492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalChoiceReg12 Resized[1].jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	39493  
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org