The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I Have It! The "Holy Grail" of Dressage Videos!

Yes, in my trembling hands I have the "Holy Grail" of dressage videos - the victory lap of Reiner Klimke and Ahlerich at the 1984 Olympics doing their 75 one tempi changes. I have viewed it and the quality is good - you can clearly see each tempi change. Now to get it on YouTube for the world to see.

Many thanks to Carol O on this BB for supplying me a copy of the video she took.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Waiting!

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Just let us know where and when! Waiting on pis and needles.

Mike - I find it very amazing that people think 75 one tempi are a great feat or, in your words, "the holy grail of dressage". You guys who get so upset over RK find absolutely nothing wrong with a horse being made to do 75 one tempi?????

Sorry, but it seems that we're working with some big double standards.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Mike - I find it very amazing that people think 75 one tempi are a great feat or, in your words, "the holy grail of dressage". You guys who get so upset over RK find absolutely nothing wrong with a horse being made to do 75 one tempi?????

Sorry, but it seems that we're working with some big double standards.
    *boggle*

What's double standard about a horse that has been trained correctly doing something that it can do without being hurt, and a horse that has not been trained correctly that can't even use its back properly?

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

How do you know that 75 of anything won't hurt a "correctly" trained horse anymore than RK will? I don't know where the myth started that Dr. Klimke was the be all and end all of correct dressage training.... let me assure you that his reputation among dressage riders in Germany that knew how he trained was somewhat different.

P.S.: Eileen, I love some of your work!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I'll let the video speak for itself. The CotH readers can render the verdict.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    How do you know that 75 of anything won't hurt a "correctly" trained horse anymore than RK will? I don't know where the myth started that Dr. Klimke was the be all and end all of correct dressage training.... let me assure you that his reputation among dressage riders in Germany that knew how he trained was somewhat different.

P.S.: Eileen, I love some of your work!

But that's the overall problem, they read the vintage books, they watch the vintage vids, but they never watched these ODG's train their horses in real life. And to me it's obvious that Mike Matson prefers circus above dressage.
    His next post will probably be about the complete GP test that Sven Rothenberger did some years ago, riding the whole test with the reins in one hand. And did I tell you that Sven's horse was trained by Sjef Janssen.

Now how would you know MM prefers circus to dressage? I clearly remember the thread in which there was a huge discussion about an elephant at Ringling that wasn't quite "through "
    Seriously what is wrong with you people ? starting another RK discussion? This is about a video with 75 tempis, not about the training method.
    I would love to see it

Quote Originally Posted by vestito View Post
    Now how would you know MM prefers circus to dressage? I clearly remember the thread in which there was a huge discussion about an elephant at Ringling that wasn't quite "through "
    Seriously what is wrong with you people ? starting another RK discussion? This is about a video with 75 tempis, not about the training method.
    I would love to see it
    Because I can read

And because I agree with Siegi B. that 75 tempi-changes has nothing to do with dressage. But I don't want to spoil your circus so enjoy.

I'm a big fan of Klimke and have his books and videos etc. But a "Holy Grail" might be a little too much. To be fair, I'd like to remind that as previous video that Mike posted clearly shows the lateral tendency in the collected walk during Klimke's Olympic test. Some classical masters would argue that lateral walk is the sign of tension and faltered training somewhere in the program and usually scored "4" or lower with out a bias

Default WOW!! The holy grail????

So by definition and my powerful sense of indisputable logic ... IF 75 one tempis are really not all that and totally non holy grail and i can't do a single change surely it follows that i am, like way better than Klimke?

Yay me!!!!

I'm better than klimke, I'm better than Klimke, I'm better than klimke!!!!

Just to clarify, by "Holy Grail" I mean a video of something that many people have heard and talked about but very few have seen. This is the first copy of the video of the tempi changes I have ever run across in all my years of searching.

how are 75 tempis harder on a trained horse than 75 canter strides?

Quote Originally Posted by class View Post
    how are 75 tempis harder on a trained horse than 75 canter strides?
    I agree with that.

Reiner's horses all did the most amazing & relaxed one tempis. Some GP horses manage one tempis but not without looking as though they are seriously struggling, the rider is throwing himself all over the place to achieve them, they are swinging side to side...

Reiner's horse is not under stress, he is not tense, he is not struggling. He is freely using his whole body, his back, his neck is free. The horse is so incredibly straight there is no twisting or torsion. Because the horse is trained so correctly, it's a walk in the park for him. It's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolfe001 View Post
    I agree with that.

Reiner's horses all did the most amazing & relaxed one tempis. Some GP horses manage one tempis but not without looking as though they are seriously struggling, the rider is throwing himself all over the place to achieve them, they are swinging side to side...

Reiner's horse is not under stress, he is not tense, he is not struggling. He is freely using his whole body, his back, his neck is free. The horse is so incredibly straight there is no twisting or torsion. Because the horse is trained so correctly, it's a walk in the park for him. It's beautiful.
    Funny that you mention this, because Reiner once stated in an interview that his son Michael was the first of the family who didn't have problems with the flying changes. And Biotops flying changes were a complete disaster in the beginning.

well, I was there for the amazing victory celebration and I also have it on video..which I havent watched all that recently but which I can see again just by closing my eyes.

Ali's canter work was just wonderful--in the test and in the celebration part. I dont think Dr. Klimke planned any of it. He was sooooooo happy (understatement) to finally win the individual gold..he really did 'dance' out there, making it up as he went along.

It was a defining moment for the rider, the horse, and the sport.

If he had planned a whole bunch of one-tempis, a la Baucher demonstration, then it might have been a bit much. But this was just Dr. Klimke in one of his finest moments ever, on a horse that at that moment he truly adored.

Every one in the stands and watching realized we had experienced catharsis--everyone was changed by this celebration.

It is just so rare to have this kind of feeling during competition; it's more common while schooling, as that is so much more spontaneous.

OTOH, MM, calling it the 'Grail' might be just a bit over the top. LOL.

I still think my favorite part was the very end, when Dr. K decided to leave in high-octane extended trot, still one-handed, regally waving his hat at the crowd--but Ali had different ideas.
    Pointed toward the tunnel--and out of the arena-- Ali's trot turned from merely spectacular to hat back on head, BOTH hands gripping the reins, and sparks beneath the horseshoes as he hit the ramp going down, full throttle.
    It is a testimony to Dr. K's cojones ,core strength and general stubborness that he managed to keep Ali in trot.
    of course, I think he realized that he simply could NOT afford to allow Ali to break from the trot, the consequences would have been devastating.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

One of those total verklempt moments.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    I think he realized that he simply could NOT afford to allow Ali to break from the trot, the consequences would have been devastating.
    like ended up screaming "help?"

canyonoak,

Your post sums up exactly what is on the video. I would not be surprised if it becomes one of those YouTube "viral" videos for dressage.