The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

NRB, will do. I'll send an email to the mother right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    I know silly, guess why I mentioned Emily?
    Lexington itself is a 2 college town so the diversity will be there. Outside of it though ... And the hospital is frightening. I pray that I don't have a nasty fall at the HC!
    I will email my friend. The downtown mall is 'diverse'. Did you get hit up by a bum or a punk selling crack? Yeah, a real problem there. Check out Cville Coffee. They cater to lunch with the kiddies.
    OK yes Lex has 2 colleges but one is VMI, not exactly the bastion of the progressive left. (FWIW My grandad went to VMI) Can't say that I know much about W and L. I'm going to bet that UVa is more liberal and progressive than either. Can ya tell I'm a lefty?

And no Lisa I had a positive experience on the mall, no druggies or bums in the short time I was there (ok been there 2 days)

Belladonalilly thinks!

I know silly, guess why I mentioned Emily?
    Lexington itself is a 2 college town so the diversity will be there. Outside of it though ... And the hospital is frightening. I pray that I don't have a nasty fall at the HC!
    Yes, I sustained a fall in lexington and had to go to the hospital. My horse reared and flipped and I got away with just a nasty cut and some major soreness. I had to finish everything and went to the ER after dinner to get the cut cleaned. I had to fight for a teatnus shot, waited for three hours, then they proceeded to scrub the cut out with a brush. This is common practice. Not numbing the area beforehand because 'look, I am really busy right now'? Not common practice. Ack. I got over it, but my three hours there were miserable.

I live in charlottesville now for UVA. I know there are a ton of kids of asian descent here as students, but I don't know about the normal town population. I know that covenant and STAB are the two very good schools, but that STAB has more issues int he way of drugs/booze/whatever so covenant is gaining on them. There is also a montesorri school at pantops which seems to be pretty popular.
    -Grace

If you're a lefty then Charlottesville will be more your cup of tea. VMI is military but you'd be surprised how liberal some of those folks are. I was when I came to work for the DoD.
    You might also look into Harrisonburg. Again, college town. You will definitely find some really nice farms there.

Oh yes, Charlottesville is extremely liberal. I'm fairly certain they chop conservatives up and put them in freezers after midnight around UVa. Not sure how I wound up here But anyways, I have some very nice liberal friends around here, even if they are wrong

I would guess H'burg, Staunton, anywhere "over the mountain" would probably be more conservative, but times they are a'changing, so I could be wrong. Beautiful country over there, though.

Nah, it was true Bella. He came into work that day with the story.
    And here's an example of school. Bella is very eloquent. So, I don't think it matters what school they go to. They will either succeed or not, depending on the parents and their genetic makeup.
    Mr P and I have 45 acres in Louisa near the power plant. FWIW it's zoned A1 or 2 and we were told by a Realtor it is worth $700,000 though I seriously doubt we could sell it for that.

Unfortunately Louisa has a number of parents who don't put much emphasis on education. Parents make a HUGE difference and the SOL's and "No Child Left Behind " programs seem to be helping also

When our daughter was accepted to Annapolis another woman was from Bumpass. A friend's son graduated from Brown.

If I were sending a child to school in Louisa I would make sure they didn't ride the bus.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Consider visiting "over the mountain" in Augusta County where Waynesboro and Staunton are. I live here in Waynesboro and LOVE it here. The schools are good just kind of depends on which district you live in. I am in the Wilson district and the schools here are EXCELLENT. Land is a bit cheaper here too than in Albemarle and it's still a huge horsey area.
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Default speaking of schools.......

Did I mention that I grew up in WV? In my public Jr High School (your middle school) there was the math teacher who would play a prerecorded lesson off of his tape recorder for the classroom while he sat at his desk, silent, eating a bag of Doritios...in front of the class...... Another teacher was fond of literally picking up male students and slamming them up against the lockers and yelling at them. And yet another teacher marked my paper off for capitalizing the word "Thoroughbred" and using the word to indicate the breed of a horse. She insisted that thoroughbred should never be capatalized, it was emphaticly NOT a breed of horse, but rather a descriptive term........Sigh you should have seen that argument. Me a wee little 12yo horse crazy kid going up against the english teacher. The list goes on......all though the 9th grade I never had to take a year end exam nor write a tern paper. This would have been 1983......

Sometime good parenting can't over rule bad schools. I went to a private boarding school from 10th to 12th grade.

Eh Beladonnalilly I have a pack of friends and family who are staunch republicans and I loff em anyway...despite they are wrong to...hehe. Loff folks who can accept each others differences and let it be. Just don't want to be the only leftie in the town. Which kind of rules out large ammount of rural Virginia and West Virginia areas.

Default C'ville is nice but..

I think it's nicer over the mountain in Staunton, Try Harrisonburg, it's diverse and good shopping. Plenty of horses anywhere you look.
    And land is way cheaper in the Shenandoah Valley plus the taxes are lower.
    Check out the Shenandoah.
    YOUrs
    Melyni
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Default Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Consider visiting "over the mountain" in Augusta County where Waynesboro and Staunton are. I live here in Waynesboro and LOVE it here. The schools are good just kind of depends on which district you live in. I am in the Wilson district and the schools here are EXCELLENT. Land is a bit cheaper here too than in Albemarle and it's still a huge horsey area.
    I second that motion! Less than 45 mins to the VA Horse center, you can show and sleep in your own bed at night!

Come on over the mountain.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    I think its l;ike 40 min from Grayson to C-ville.
    I boarded and worked at Grayson when I was at UVa. It's 20-25 minutes when you're used to the drive and take the secret shortcut. It's 25-30 if you're just coming straight down Route 20 and obeying the speed limit.

So I think Scottsville and Keene are reasonable places to look. I also really, really like Free Union and Earlysville. And I'd probably take a look at Stanardsville/Greene county if I were you. I don't know much about Stanardsville, but with all the new stuff north of town, Stanardsville is suddenly a much more convenient location. Also, Afton is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    Location and the school issue does really become a bugaboo for me.
    If I were looking for a school, Peabody, Tandem, and STAB would be my top three.

Good luck! Cville is a great town!

Default Making me homesick

All this talk of Charlottesville is making me homesick. I've been in Florida for 25 years now (minus 1 yr hiatis back to VA) and often wonder what it would be like to live back there. I don't know if I could handle the cold anymore. I've lived in Barboursville, Gordonsville, Orange ,Charlottesville and kept my horse in Louisa when my parents got divorced. My dad lived in Culpeper and my brother still lives in Madison. He is the chef at a restaraunt called the Bavarian Chef. Ah.....the fond memories of that area. Thanks for the flashback

Bavarian Chef! Yummmmm!

Was just there Bella, on Friday. Still have leftovers!

I have a farm between Lexington and Staunton, no kids though, so schools and carpooling are not an issue for me. I just love it. I can't really say there is much diversity though but it is surprising the depth that you will find. I am in Northern Rockbridge County, near Augusta. I would not say that it is a "liberal" area either. Charlottesville would be much more cosmo and also much more crowded (never even considered the area for that reason). Have good vet care, good farriers, but I have to go to Charlottesville to get the "A level" training that I am used to. But that is ok. Prices are not cheap here but certainly less than Charlottesville.

Send me a PM if you want me to recommend a good Realtor. I was happy with the person I used.

Glad to see my brother is still cooking up some good food! See OP if you move to the area you already know of a good restaraunt

Yak, your brother is the cook at Bavarian? Does he have myopia or something? The portions are HUGE! Delicious but HUGE.

Default LisaB

Hey atleast ya get leftovers, right? I guess he thinks everyone eats like he does, hes a BIG BOY I haven't been up there in years! Bad Sister, I know, but thats a long way to haul my horses

Yakmaniac, Who is your brother??? I have a bunch of family that works at the Chef My brother-in-law is the head chef, my sister-in-law is the hostess, and my niece is learning to waitress (currently bussing tables)! What a small world!

Well, shoutten and I just found out that we share family members. SMALL WORLD! She is married to my brothers wifes brother, small world!!
    Hey ,was I not right about him being a "big boy"