The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flashy 13.2 Welsh X Bay Roan Pony - Companion or Project - Ohio

Hello everyone - I am posting this for a friend - please take a look. This really is an adorable pony. References and possibly a first right of refusal contract will be required - thank you!

If interested, please email Shannon at Tntequestrian@aol.com or call 330-461-2318.

J D is an 8 yr. old Welsh X Pony, adorable in every way. Stunning color. He was started under saddle as a 6 yr. old after coming from an abusive home. In the beginning he was very hand shy and flinched at all human made sudden movements. He had overcome that and was doing very well under saddle. At the point where he was quietly carrying a 5'9" rider w/t/c and over tiny cross-rails, he was sent off to a hunter/jumper barn to gain miles under more suitably sized kids. Within 2 weeks of going, he went to a schooling show and placed in all of his classes, including over fences. After about 6 months, he was suddenly sent home. When he returned, he was flinchy and easily startled again. A quiet adult rider was the first to get on him and he promptly panicked and bucked her off. Since then, he has gained some confidence under a very tiny, very quiet adult rider and has had about 10 rides without bucking but with a lot of tension. They have managed to walk, trot and canter as his trust has grown. I heard through the grapevine that the trainer of the lessee got frustrated with the pony's progress and had large riders get on and be rather abusive. With his rough beginnings, this pony could not tolerate that and went right back to where he started when I first got him. I have been told by a number of knowledgeable people this pony has the look and jump to be a 20k pony but obviously needs a lot of work to get back to where he was and progress further. I do not have the time. I run a mainly adult oriented dressage barn and don't have a lot of smaller/skilled riders. I would really like to see this pony go to someone with the skills and heart to help him through and maybe eventually see a profit. But in the absence of that, he would make a suitable companion horse. He is timid and low on the pecking order. By the way, he is not spooky of almost anything - only fearful of humans when they move suddenly or threateningly. He also has never reared. He usually doesn't bolt (almost wish he did rather than buck) - instead he bucks. He will NOT do well with a timid or aggressive rider. If you would like to try him and it didn't work out, I'd be willing to take him back but he will only go to someone who I feel has the skills to help him as he doesn't need to be messed up further. Or as a lawn mower - he'd be suitable to any home, he has decent ground manners. He would do well with a bold and skilled kid (A level Pony Clubber) or smaller adult. Size intimidates him. Thanks for your time.

I will try to get some pics.

where are you located?
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

We are in Ohio - closest major city is Cleveland - thanks!

Default Interested in pony

Hello, I am interested in your pony. I am a small rider looking for a training project for the year while I am at college. Can you please send me pictures if the pony is still available? My email is Caitlinseldin@yahoo.com.
    Thanks