The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ring Lighting Input Needed

I am ready to put lights in my ring and I need some input. My ring is approx 110 x 185. I have telephone poles that are 30 feet out of the ground. I am looking for good lighting for a personal farm. I do not have boarders, do not put on shows, etc so it does not need to be shadow free. I am looking for lighting that will be suitable to safely have a lesson at night.

Any pros/cons to the different lighting options???

Thanks!!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

PM someone like Tom King, FrankB, Tgcelec (think that is the name - he doesn't post much here but does post on Chronicle of My Horse). They can all give you useful input as to types of lights & where to buy.

The ring where I board is slightly larger than yours and is illuminated by eight 1500-Watt sharp-cutoff Metal Halide fixtures on 20' poles. "Sharp cutoff" means the fixtures are designed so little or no light is wasted into the sky. We have six of the fixtures concentrated along one long side for jumping, and the remaining two filling in the other side for dressage and flat work.

Our fixtures were freebies from an auto dealer that was modernizing his lot, and I've been retired for 10 years, so have no idea what fixtures cost these days.

Most electrical supply houses have software that will recommend lighting fixtures and placements for various applications. They do tend to be on the generous side so you'll have to decide the light level (in footcandles) you're willing to pay for.

Our fixtures are wired on two 220 Volt circuits so only half the ring can be illuminated if necessary.

If you're in an area with a lot of electrical storms, ask your electrician about discharge points on the poles. They'll reduce the probablility of a lightning strike getting into your electrical system.

Give a little thought to the aiming of the fixtures if you have neighbors nearby and you ride late at night. The glare can be very annoying.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

http://www.ruudlighting.com/literatu...ets/AC1-22.pdf

Poke around on this company's site and you will find all sorts of information including the amount of light the different fixtures throw over what area for different heights.

Ruud used to sell direct from their website but it looks like you need to go through at least an electrical contractor now.

You can still find the same sort or fixture online. I found all sorts of stuff with a Google search for "MH floodlights" such as:

http://www.affordablelighting.com/22flood.html or if you want lots of light put up multiples of these like on a ball field
    http://www.affordablelighting.com/sp...ng_lights.html
    Last edited by Tom King; Sep. 6, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks guys! I have emailed Tom King and will PM the other name that was suggested.

Frank - any idea how many footcandles I would want to shoot for? I went to an electric supply house yesterday and the guy was dumb as a dirt. I am guessing I will have to go to Charlottesville or something to get a supply house that deals more with horsey type lighting. I'll be printing out this thread and taking it with me, that's for sure!

Do you know what type of bulb your barn's lights have? What is a good type to go with? I know (at least I think I am correct) that the sodium lights are yellowish and I don't want that...

Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    I am ready to put lights in my ring and I need some input. My ring is approx 110 x 185. I have telephone poles that are 30 feet out of the ground. I am looking for good lighting for a personal farm. I do not have boarders, do not put on shows, etc so it does not need to be shadow free. I am looking for lighting that will be suitable to safely have a lesson at night.

Any pros/cons to the different lighting options???

Thanks!!
    We have about the same size outdoor as you, but a little longer. I have 3 poles that run down each side, 6 total. My poles are a little shorter at about 25' out of the ground. Higher would have been better as if you look up at night, you might see spots for a minute . We have a 1500 watt metal halide on each pole. The only thing I'd change besides making them higher is I wish we'd have put a pole on each end of the ring as that's the only place that's not well illuminated. It's fine for riding and jumping at night though.

Maybe these charts will help you decide how much light you want. In other words, if there's enough at twilight for you to see what you're doing, you can get by with one foot candle. Another feature of dealer's software for various lighting fixtures also recomments fixture placement for the most even illumination across the area. Don't expect most salespersons to know how to use it correctly, though! The larger supply houses usually have someone (perhaps a consultant) that does, though.

Human's and horse's eyes have a nonlinear response to light levels, so people often overestimate the light levels they require. Notice the range between full daylight and moonlight on the above chart. It's only for the really detailed work that high levels are required. Do some research on the eye's rods and cones for an explanation.

The lights we use are Metal Halide and have a fairly neutral color balance.

BTW, ever seen a foot candle?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Thanks to everyone who has helped me. After many headaches... I finally made a decision and the lights should be here in a week or so. The poles are up... wiring is in.... they just have to mount the lights!

I got the most sensible, straight forward advice from you guys and I greatly appreciate it!! Granted most of the headaches came when I was dealing with the distributors trying to place an order... but it's finally a done deal (Thank God!!!).

I am certain I made a great choice - I went with the Hubbell 1000 watt metal halide Sportslighters.

Thanks again!!!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Cool. I'm sure you'll like the light.

http://www.hubbellonline.com/lightin...veBrochure.pdf

I want the setup like on page 15. Did you get the "wireless remote control activated by your cellphone"-page 34 I think?

The sodium lights cast that spooky orangey/yellow light. I don't like those

What I have are 400 watt Metal Halide lights on about 25' poles? Four lights for a 66X120 arena. It's not enough to jump by, but fine for me doing flat work.

Glad you found the information you needed
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

A neighbor has a set of gas logs that are ignited by a hand-held remote control. SHEESH!
    John Adams

we just put up back yard arena lights too.. not for jumping , just to keep the horses fit thru the winter early dark nights... We used trees for mounting.. and 500 w bulbs on two trees and one bulb on the tip of the barn.. this casts a low light , enough to hack around , yes there are shadows but the horses get used them quickly.. This was most cost effective for our personal needs..

have fun night riding..

P~

Quote Originally Posted by LaBonnieBon View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me. After many headaches... I finally made a decision and the lights should be here in a week or so. The poles are up... wiring is in.... they just have to mount the lights!

I got the most sensible, straight forward advice from you guys and I greatly appreciate it!! Granted most of the headaches came when I was dealing with the distributors trying to place an order... but it's finally a done deal (Thank God!!!).

I am certain I made a great choice - I went with the Hubbell 1000 watt metal halide Sportslighters.

Thanks again!!!
    YAY! I think you made a great choice and will be very happy!! Just in time too!! Darn time change is this weekend.

BTW - You probably already know this but I'd highly recommend one of those lifts that you can drive from pole to pole, not the one you have to pull behind a truck when you hang the lights.

LBB, if you don't mind sharing it here, what will this lighting project cost by the time you're finished?

I'm just now starting to think about putting an arena in at home but will have to have lights to be able to ride during the week. Just wondering how costly of a project the lights will be.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    LBB, if you don't mind sharing it here, what will this lighting project cost by the time you're finished?

I'm just now starting to think about putting an arena in at home but will have to have lights to be able to ride during the week. Just wondering how costly of a project the lights will be.

Thanks!
    I can share some with you. These are off the top of my head as we did ours this time last year so I don't remember exactly. I do remember it was very hard to find info online about how to go about doing this, unless you wanted to spend A LOT of $$$$$. This was sort of a DIY project.

Six telephone poles - $500.
    Pretty long wiring run from the barn - $2,000.
    Electrician (friend of ours) - $500.
    Six 1500w Metal Halide Lights - Used briefly on a golf driving range - a COTH poster gave me the hook-up with these lights!!! $1200.
    Brackets to hold lights - $250.

Total = $4,450.

I don't recall what we paid to rent the trencher to get the wire down to the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Cool. I'm sure you'll like the light.

http://www.hubbellonline.com/lightin...veBrochure.pdf

I want the setup like on page 15. Did you get the "wireless remote control activated by your cellphone"-page 34 I think?
    Thank God I did not know about the wireless remote before we ordered!!! What a neat concept!

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post

Thanks!
    I really did a lot of legwork and would recommend you doing the same. If you hire ABC Electric Company to do the job from start to finish, it will be 2x as much. If you want to do some of the legwork by pricing stuff and seeing where you can get things the cheapest, you will save some good $$$.

I got 4 additional poles brought in and put up by a company - $930. They are 30' out of the ground. We had one existing pole.

I got the lights at cost by a friend who works at a lighting supply shop. They were $378 each (price includes everything - shipping, tax, bracket, light fixture, bulb). We got 5 of those. The retail price is out of this world!!!!

The electrician has not given me his bill yet, but he did let me buy the supplies and he did not add on to that (a lot of contractors do). I think that is about $1,500-1,800 for supplies. We did 220/8 wire. It was outdoor wire, but we put it inside 1-1/2" piping, too. We put a switch in the barn and have outlets on 2 poles (for a radio!). The ring was 360 feet from the barn so we had a lot of wire to lay... not to mention the wire around the ring to each pole. All the wiring is underground.

Originally we were going to have the power company drop a meter at the ring (it's near the road) and they wanted $8,000-9,000 just to drop a meter. At that point I decided to just lay the wire. I'd much rather pay a little guy the same amount of money than pay Dominion Power that much just to drop a meter!!! Grrr!!

We also rented a ditch witch - $220. The guy who works on our farm dug the ditch and then filled it in. I did not pay attention to how long that took, but he picked up the machine and took it back, too. I guess 4 hours - 1 hour to dig, 1 hour to cover, 1 hour each way to get machine. That's another $100 (we pay him $25/hour).

We will be renting the lift.... My electrician said he would climb the pole, but I suggested the lift as I know it will make my him happier.

So... when we are totally done, I will let you know the project total. As of now, without the electricians bill and the lift... it is $4,500-5,000. It's expensive so I put my motto into play - if you are going to do it... you might as well do it right!

egads.. well mine with using the trees as poles and with shadows but good enough for flat riding , doing it all ourselves, ours was just over $500.00 .. I have a dressage court size arena..

again i am private and this is for me only , it is like riding at dusk.. shadows but nothing to scary..

P~

Pippin, my set up is similar to yours. Used trees for part of the 'poles' and 1500-watt quartz lights from Home Depot that were about $40 each. (I like the light from the quartz lights - a 'blue white' light.) Only neeeded 4 lights on one side. I could 'aim' the lights well enought hat they light the whole width of the arena. Plenty of light for me, and costs maybe $600 including wire. Helps that husband is an electrical engineer.

My husband is an electrician. We got the lights at cost, wire, etc...did the poles ourselves with derrick on tractor, holes via auger on tractor...hand dug the wiring from barn to arena (it's close, maybe 40 feet away)...all told our cost was about 1500 dollars. I didn't have trees in good places and I do like that it's very 'normal' looking. We have ample plenty jury-rigged, I wanted my arena lights to be as nice as I could get away with. And I wanted as much light as I could afford I used it last night and was reminded that it's really worth it. I teach some lessons and having enough light to do that by was important to me.

This is it, you can see the pole height along the right side. I'd just disassembled my round pen, hence the panels.
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D720/ry%3D480/

He just quoted a full size dressage 'arena' with 8 lights - double what I have, and 1000 watt lights...for about 5-6K.
    Last edited by katarine; Oct. 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: detail
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)