The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Three "teenage" semi-feral kittens need barn home

Matilda, Marlena, and Madeleine are three older kittens (probably 6-7 months old) who were trapped from a feral cat colony. Their caretaker couldn't bear to put them back in the alley where they were living, so I'm hoping I can find a barn home for them. They are presumably sisters -- two are solid black and one is solid gray. (And, um, I can't tell the black ones apart, so their names are interchangeable! But Matilda is the gray one!)

I've had them in a crate for a couple of weeks, and all three can be petted, but some like it better than others. If someone wanted to put more time into them, they would almost certainly get even friendlier. As it is, they would probably be out and about in a barn, but not rubbing up against you or underfoot.

They have been fixed and vaccinated. They were NOT tested for FIV/feline leukemia, because the caretaker was planning to release them. I can probably get that done if someone wants it. No other cats in the area have tested positive for either, so these guys are probably fine, and if they were to be the only cats on a farm it would likely not be imperative to test them. If they were to have other kitty neighbors, though, I would get them tested just in case.

The kittens would need to be crated at their new home for about two weeks. (And I have crates and other supplies to lend out for that purpose.) They are very playful and quite healthy, and would much rather live on a farm than in a Baltimore alley! Plus, it can be kind of fun and rewarding to work with the feral ones and watch them get more trusting of people.

I would like to adopt all three out to one farm, if possible. Maybe someone out there has a new farm and needs to install a fleet of barn cats? I'm willing to deliver anywhere within reasonable driving distance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/...561b5c2145.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/...f6303cd859.jpg
    Last edited by Erin; Sep. 9, 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Giving the girls a little bump! They're really sweet and would be a blast to have zooming around a barn. (They've been in that crate a good long time now and would like OUT please! )

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Another bump! I would consider splitting them up if necessary, but they're so cute when they sleep in a grayscale kitty pile, I'd really like the trio to find a barn to patrol together!

BBer imissvixen has a couple other Baltimore street kittens as barn cats, and last I heard was having a blast with them.

I have a very generous definition of "reasonable driving distance," so if you're anywhere nearby and are interested, please let me know!