The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The "culicoide" bites may show up as bumps with or without oozing, or just as localized swelling. They have a complicated reaction in horses that usually involves a previous exposure and sensitizes the horse to the bites. I think omega-3 supplements may help in general with skin sensitivity.

I washed the area well with Nolvason scrub. A betadine scrub was recommended by my vet if she developed open sores.

I used a Benadryl spray once the area was dry. I think a cortisone cream would work well. I used a lot of Swat on her belly prior to turn out as the culicoides do not bite through oil based products.

I tried 2 doses (a.m. and p.m.) of tri-hist granules and that did not make a difference.

My vet recommended 20mg of azium (one dose) which was very effective and improved her discomfort level a lot. I would consult your vet before given that much azium.

I know culicoides love warm, humid weather and as we had some rain last week I think that is why they came out in our area. They are at their worst during the dusk and dawn hours. I try to avoid turn out during these times.

Is your horse rubbing it's mane or tail too?

Try to google "culicoides" or sweet itch and you will find a lot of info on these pesky, little menaces.

Good luck

Hey, just wanted everyone to know, I got the chiro out and the problem's solved. Among with some other adjustments, he had commented that a few ribs were off and he did a lot of adjusting at his big 'ol wither. The girthiness has pretty much all but vanished now. He doesn't like to give up on bad habits too easily.

how much did chiro cost? I have a few in my area and they are pretty expensive, are they really worth it? do they do more than just fix that one problem?

anyone have any idea how one would go about learning chiropractic adjustment techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    how much did chiro cost? I have a few in my area and they are pretty expensive, are they really worth it? do they do more than just fix that one problem?
    Given you're in my neck of the woods, I can't recommend Dr Kim Josey out of Charlotte highly enough. She comes through GSO about once a month. I pay $65/horse, BUT, I'm a long-time client (so might have some "rent control", I have NO idea, I don't ask), and I know she does charge more for first time evaluations. I know there are others in the state who charge WAY more than that, some up to $200

If the horse's problem is chiro-related, absolutely it's worth it

There is rarely just one problem. A good chiro will go over the whole body and fix anything that needs to be fixed. It's very very common for one issue to cause others, particularly if it's been going on a while. Bigger issues can lead to muscle issues, so you might also need massage therapy in conjunction with chiro to really get a horse straightened out.

anyone have any idea how one would go about learning chiropractic adjustment techniques?
    Go to school for it Seriously - this is not something you want to learn from books for sure, not even videos.

It can also be front foot pain-there is a 'hoof point' that runs along the girth area.

Hind gut ulcers?
    Girthiness?
    The colon is closer to the girth than the stomach? His sides are flinchy?
    Gastric scoping won't show hind gut?
    Gastro-gard, Ranitidine won't help with hind Gut?
    Oh, these questions and more, but lots to consider.
    Having the Chiro out certainly can't hurt.
    Hope your boy feels better soon.

Well heck, you got your answer while I was posting
    Glad you got it resolved.