The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nearly impossible? Event horse to lease.

**I am not trying to make this an advertisement post of any sort*** Please let me know if I need to delete this!

I am a college student looking to get back into eventing after a 3 year hiatus. My last event horse I lease needed to be retired and I just never got the urge to get back into it. I got a job at a H/J barn and have been in that scene since then. I've been lucky in getting things to ride in the H/J world, and I really do love it. But, I miss eventing! I work for an event trainer, and the more that I am around her barn the more I REALLY want to find something again!

Catch 22. My parents will not help me. They pay for college and insurance, but they will not spend a dime on a horse. period, which is fair. I would LOVE to get back into the event world and find something I can event up to training with. I only went thru training, so I'm not all THAT experienced. What are my chances of finding something to free/or really cheaply to lease? I could of course go the route of an ottb but I really dont want to own something. I would ideally love to find a horse of a kid that is off at college and wants to keep the horse going. Does that sound very un-realistic? Should I just suck it up and not get a horse until I am out of college and can really afford to buy something and put money into?

Thoughts/suggestions welcome!!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Honestly, I've been surprised at how many many event horses are out there looking for someone to pick up the expenses on them for awhile. Particularly a good egg of a Novice/Training horse who might not necessarily win everything but is looking for a job to do. You have to offer exceptional care, pick up the insurance on them, and usually the expenses, but there's often not much more, and it can be a real win-win solution for everyone: you get a ride, horse gets a job, owner gets a break on the expenses. These horses usually come about through word of mouth - someone's got a new job, new baby, new horse, etc. and doesn't have time for an older horse. Where are you located?

Check the AreaIII and AreaII website classifieds. There are lease offers on there - especially in this market. I have 5 for sale/lease and nothing is moving. I'm not in your area and mine are only prospects so can't help you there- but definitely check the usea sites! good luck!

I think you'll find something if you look hard enough. If I were you, I'd contact all of the pony clubs within a reasonable distance to make initial inquiries, and then the local Adult rider programs, fox hunts, horse vets and farriers. I'd also post fliers at every event in your area (at the secretary where packets are picked up and, most importantly, on the inside door of the portajons) - the fall season is just about to start and so this is a good time to do that. You need to be proactive, because most are done by word of mouth from what I can tell.

I would expect that if you do find one, you may discover that keeping the horse at its regular farm, taking lessons with the owner's regular trainer, using its regular vet and farrier, etc. may be required, so you may want to take that into account as you ask around, or even offer it up as a possibility if you find someone who is interested in sharing their horse with you, but somewhat reluctant to really let go. You might also want to consider a half lease for the same reason.

I would urge you to avoid buying something if you don't realistically have the funds for horse keeping. It always, always, always costs more than you expect, and if you aren't able to handle it, your horse will suffer for it. There is always time later to buy a horse if you don't find that special lease now.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

*FoxFire*, I'm PMing you.

Don't just look at event horses. There are some nice allrounders out there who can event pretty well. Ask in other barns too (H/J, dressage) There are often horses out there looking for a change. It might be worth putting an ad of your own in your local tackshops etc. Good luck!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yes...I think you can find something. My daughter is leaving for college on Sunday. We've found a lovely woman to free lease her horse while she's gone. The benefit for her is a solid novice/promising training level horse for no money up front. The benefit for us is that his costs are paid & his training will keep moving along while my daughter's at school. It's a win-win for both parties.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I feel you there... I spent all of last summer trying to find a horse to lease, finally found one in September, only to have him break in December in a pasture incident. Since then I've been stuck in limbo, trying to find a horse to help get me back in the game and a new barn to board at.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

might have a novice/training packer coming up soon. new horse getting vetted tomorrow. will have to see if owner will lease out of state. really nice, easy horse. it seems there are lots of people looking to lease out horses now. check around the local tack stores, and do try the area 3 website.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Wow, these responses are very good to hear. I may need something to lease in a while, but I just assumed it would be impossible. Thank you for not deleting the thread!

Those people looking for leases.. are you looking for full/free leases? As in, you pay horses's upkeep/board/farrier fees? Or just to ride for someone else who is paying the upkeep?

I have heard of many horses who are available for free lease. Owners would like them off the payroll! It's a little more difficult to come across a situation where the owner is willing to foot part of the bill for someone else to ride and show. Not impossible, just more difficult.

I would guess it also depends on what levels you want to do and what experience you'd like the horse to have. Obviously less-schooled horses are far more available than well-schooled ones

FrittSkritt - if you are local, I have a guy I don't have enough time for. A former Novice/Training/3'6" jumpers who needs reconditioning. I have been trying to do it myself but my heart is really in working with greenies and OTTB's and I can't get up the same drive to work him! Ha, I know people would kill for an experienced horse and I'm dying because I've had to turn down nice, but seriously unproven, OTTB's!

Yes, WOW!
    Very inspiring to know that there is hope!!!

Thanks for all of the PM's.

And to clarify, I'm looking for a free lease...and I pay, not someone else to foot that bill. I do have several very steady jobs that will be keeping the horse ship afloat.

I'm not sure about your area, but I've seen a few "free" (pay expenses only) full-leases on event horses in my area. I was hoping for more of a part-lease situation, since I actually ride for free on the weekends, and also do vaulting, but wanted to get to ride about 3 weeknights per week. I'm still finalising the details, but it looks like I'm going to get to part-lease a foxhunter who also has dressage and stadium-type jumping experience. His owner is fine with me eventing him (depending on scheduling/etc.) of course.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

I'm in Area 3 but very close to area 2 as well. I live in Greenville SC, but ride in Columbus NC with the trainer. We are litteraly a 15 minute hack to the top of the FENCE XC course.