The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bonnie Mosser clinic -anyone done one? UPDATE: I have!

Hi guys,
    I'd love any thought on Bonnie Mosser as a XC clinician for a green youngster I'd like to be fairly conservative with. I've always loved watching her ride, but have never seen her teach, and teaching green horses is a game of its own.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Saskatoonian; Sep. 8, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: update

Saskatoonie, Mikey and I did a winter-indoor clinic with Bonnie a few years ago. It was fabulous. She's perfectly great. Tell her what you're up to with the horse and she'll set stuff up for you. I'd do it if I were you. Come to think of it, where will it be and when!??

Hey, thanks Pol,
    It's at Triple Combination, right down the road from me - so near Burlington, VT, and I'd sure like to support it if I can do it without wrecking Toucan. I could take Toony to pretty much anyone, but Toucan's at that stage where I have to be a little particular, you know?

I would definately recommend Bonnie for both experienced and greener horses. I have cliniced with her with a prelim horse and a youngster that had never set foot on xc and really benefited with both horses, would go again for sure. She's very practical, good explanations, big on safety so will not push past your or your horses' comfort level. I learned a lot and both horses had very good experiences.

Great person to clinic with! go and learn and best of all, enjoy!!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

I agree with the abover posters.

Bonnie is great with newbies - riders and horses alike, and she is excellent for those of us with some mileage. She can "read" what your horse is diong like no other. She helped me with a problem that was missed by other instructors.

I agree with the others - Bonnie is a great instructor!

Karen

Sweet! Thanks guys! We'll see if I get in.

ETA: I did get in! Wish us luck: it's his first clinic ever!
    Last edited by Saskatoonian; Sep. 5, 2008 at 12:39 PM.

Default Update!

Hi all,
    Thanks for the excellent advice. We went to the clinic and had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the excellent advice. We went to the clinic and had a blast.
    Details!!?!
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

I wonder if anyone could give me contact info for Bonnie?
    please PM me if you do.
    Her dad bred one of their mares to AFR a few of years ago,and they had a filly, but I have lost touch.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Default contact info

The best way to contact Bonnie is via e-mail--> info@bonniemosser.com (www.bonniemosser.com).

~Rebecca

Oh, I'm not very good at concise details, and, in all honesty, what's interesting when you're looking through the ears of a 4 year old at his debut won't even come close to that for you guys! So let's see, with that caveat, I'll give you some general stuff.
    First, Bonnie really did a great job juggling different needs and skills. There were some common themes - awareness of your surroundings - the stadium course, what's there, how it flows, the terrain - and how your horse will react to them - like speeding up on this downhill swoopy turn or shortening and balancing himself at the top of this hill. Focus on the exercise - no letting your attention go outside; focus on the jump. No looking at your horse - "he's still there!!!" (when did I start doing that?!). Mostly for me, no slipping your reins in stadium, even when you get a chip & launch. I think I made it over the first X one time before she took away my stick and handed me a stone to hold in each hand so I'd have to hold my reins (can't hold my reins to save my life). One stone did not make it all the way back to the X on my next go! Lucky for me, she has a great sense of humor. You try it - it's not that easy!
    She's got a big bag of tricks - a good number of people got to ride with driving reins to cure the stiff elbows. Stirrups went up and down (mine up two holes - felt great, so they didn't move from there - and I usually hear that I ride to short, so loved that).
    For the horse who was deep and pulling, no bridge. Get his head up by lifting one hand, leg on, do a few rapid canter / walk transitions, and then go. Worked. I'll be trying that out, because Toucan tends to be like that.
    The jumps themselves weren't complicated - an X with a placing rail, 5 strides to a pole (later an x, then a vertical), an oxer on the short side, a 3 stride line on the other long side, an oxer and a vertical on the diagonal, and a random jump that ultimately became a skinniesh thing. Nothing like Lucinda's skinnies. Between the slope of the ring and the turns, and the fact that Toucan hadn't cantered jumps before, it was plenty challenging.
    I only rode the first day - the second was at a farm where all of the XC is on hills, and he's not ready for that, but I had a great time watching, especially the guy who goes like Toucan.
    Sorry so long - it's the least I could write! In short, though, if you have the chance to ride with her, do.