The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I have no idea if he does what you think he should or not? Nor do I know of any way to find out?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I have no idea if he does what you think he should or not? Nor do I know of any way to find out?
    Nope, and I don't even know his name or where he is, so I'm not going to hunt him down and torture him either. Just figure if he isn't deserving of the scorn I'm mentally sending him, some other breeder out there probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    What I meant was that it wouldn't be in the headline of the ad unless it was a "good thing" (you don't usually see "own daughter of gus down the street."
    That's because it wouldn't be true. You have no idea what it means, and obviously didn't read what Dad wrote. "Own daugher of" means they OWN the sire. You can't have an "own daughter of gus down the street" if YOU DON'T OWN HIM why is this so hard for people to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    That's because it wouldn't be true. You have no idea what it means, and obviously didn't read what Dad wrote. "Own daugher of" means they OWN the sire. You can't have an "own daughter of gus down the street" if YOU DON'T OWN HIM why is this so hard for people to understand?
    Um, no, Dad said "own daughter of" means "bred by the owner of the sire." If gus down the street's owner bred a horse and then sold it to you, it would be the "own daughter of gus down the street."

But thanks for inaccurately trying to point out my inaccuracy.

Ambrey I think you need to go back and read it again.

An " own " get means the horse was bred and born where the sire stands. If its from an outside mare its then a " direct " get.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Um, no, Dad said "own daughter of" means "bred by the owner of the sire." If gus down the street's owner bred a horse and then sold it to you, it would be the "own daughter of gus down the street."

But thanks for inaccurately trying to point out my inaccuracy.
    NO, it would not. Because it was not owned by the stallion owner any more. No one but the stallion owner would be able to say that. It would just be "the daugher of gus down the street." You reveal yourself with every post.

NO, it would not. Because it was not owned by the stallion owner any more. No one but the stallion owner would be able to say that. It would just be "the daugher of gus down the street." You reveal yourself with every post.
    People other than stallion owners say that all the time. If I was unclear on the concept, then a zillion others are as well. Including the person who explained it here as:

No, "own daughter of..." or "own son of..." is a way of saying that the horse is a product of the stallion owner's breeding program, rather than being out of an outside mare.
    Most people use it to mean that the horse in question is actually sired by that stud rather than just being of that stud's breeding ("own daughter of Poco Bueno" vs. "Poco Bueno mare"), and that's how I've always interpreted it. I'll believe Dad that it's actually meant to imply something else, but your definition is way off from general usage.

Most people use it to mean that the horse in question is actually sired by that stud rather than just being of that stud's breeding ("own daughter of Poco Bueno" vs. "Poco Bueno mare"), and that's how I've always interpreted it.
    That's not my experience. Most people I know KNOW what it means. It means that the mare was part of the stallion owner's broodmare band. Nothing more, nothing less. I ship semen in from Studly, or take Marey to visit Studly, my foal is not an own son or daughter. Studly's owners breed him to one of their mares, the foal is an own son or daughter. Now if that own son or daughter is sold, I think the new owner can still refer to it as an own son or daughter of Studly. But the other stuff? Not a question about it, and I don't hear it used incorrectly.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    That's not my experience. Most people I know KNOW what it means. It means that the mare was part of the stallion owner's broodmare band. Nothing more, nothing less. I ship semen in from Studly, or take Marey to visit Studly, my foal is not an own son or daughter. Studly's owners breed him to one of their mares, the foal is an own son or daughter. Now if that own son or daughter is sold, I think the new owner can still refer to it as an own son or daughter of Studly. But the other stuff? Not a question about it, and I don't hear it used incorrectly.
    Hmmm, a lot of people don't seem to know what it means.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7084910AA4Xi9I

One of you should answer!

A lot of people don't know how to spell voila, but that doesn't make them right either.

Nope, but neither does being able to correct them make you a good speller.

Nope, but neither does being able to correct them make you a good speller.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Being able to do an internet search and find a million pages doesn't mean you're correct. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that that's your only means of fact checking. Lordy loo. You get about a million pages for "chemtrails". OMG, it must be true!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ambrey
    Most people use it to mean that the horse in question is actually sired by that stud rather than just being of that stud's breeding ("own daughter of Poco Bueno" vs. "Poco Bueno mare"), and that's how I've always interpreted it.

Someone is being confusing here.

Been breeding for many years and have been around breeders for all my life and in MY experience, everyone I have ever heard say a horse is an own daughter/son of XYZ stallion means to emphasize that she/he is not only of that breeding, but really his direct daughter/son.

We have an own son of Docs Quixote.
    He was definitely not bred by us, but a neighboring ranch.
    All that mention his breeding say he is "an own son" of the old great Docs Quixote.

I have never heard someone mean that it was bred by any one owner or breeder.

Being able to do an internet search and find a million pages doesn't mean you're correct. I don't know whether to laugh or cry that that's your only means of fact checking. Lordy loo. You get about a million pages for "chemtrails". OMG, it must be true!
    Um, yeah... except that you were the one who thought "own daughter" meant "owned daughter," so I think crying would be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Been breeding for many years and have been around breeders for all my life and in MY experience, everyone I have ever heard say a horse is an own daughter/son of XYZ stallion means to emphasize that she/he is not only of that breeding, but really his direct daughter/son.

I have never heard someone mean that it was bred by any one owner or breeder.
    Glad someone else has had the same experience I have had

Um, yeah... except that you were the one who thought "own daughter" meant "owned daughter," so I think crying would be the best option.
    Hmmm, I don't think you want to go there Ambrey. At least I know you don't have to put bandages on a horse every time he's put in a stall and why cowboys wear chaps. Crying indeed.

Hmmm, I don't think you want to go there Ambrey. At least I know you don't have to put bandages on a horse every time he's put in a stall and why cowboys wear chaps. Crying indeed.

Except I am not running around telling people how wrong they are about either bandages OR chaps and then trying to get snarky afterward as though I was actually right.

p.s.: I'd like you to come tell some of the high priced horse owners here that they don't need standing wraps on their horses overnight, and I'm guessin' I have known more actual cowboys in my life than you can imagine. Going there, indeed... I'm not even sure where "there" is, but it must be a frightening place.