The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    How, pray tell, did he pay his dues?

You cannot "pay" for murder. Heck, even the death penalty used on humans does not bring back the lives of those who were killed.
    UUmmm, serving his debt to society, isn't that what the court system calls it? There is nothing that brings back those lives, that is the point. Turning cold and bitter doesn't either. I am not suggesting you turn him into your new best friend. I am pointing out the rude and snide comments. It is unnecessary and uncalled for. It is NEVER okay to wish ill on someone. It makes you no better than him!

This thread ISN'T ABOUT THE PAST!
    It's about a well known trainer in our industry who got brutally injured by a horse in a freak accident.

I know Paul, his wife, his staff, and his business very personally and very well. He hasn't lived in Rhode Island in over 10 years and never publiclly thanked himself. I love when people write things based on hear-say and not facts.

Jingles for Paul. Here's a too a speedy recovery, knowing how much he hates sitting around!

Quote Originally Posted by IveGotRhythm View Post
    If there is no hope for redemption then why bother to better yourself?
    EXACTLY!

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Quote Originally Posted by IveGotRhythm View Post
    If there is no hope for redemption then why bother to better yourself?
    Because it's the right thing to do.

People who better themselves without worrying about redemption are the ones with real integrity.

People who change for redemption's sake are not really changing. They're doing something for their own benefit, which just makes it more of the same.

For the mods' sake I will leave it at that.

I wish Paul's family the best.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    However, he took my childhood innocence away when he killed my absolute favorite horse when I was a junior (Rub the Lamp). I'll never forget no matter what he does now to try to make good on his bad deeds.
    That was really sad. Rub The Lamp was the leading small junior hunter in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    Because it's the right thing to do.

People who better themselves without worrying about redemption are the ones with real integrity.

People who change for redemption's sake are not really changing. They're doing something for their own benefit, which just makes it more of the same.

For the mods' sake I will leave it at that.

I wish Paul's family the best.

But a part of redemption is being recognized for what it is.

You are correct, it should be about your actions and intents. But if they are unrecognized, it is meaningless. Except, of course, to you. Which is ultimately the only important thing.

Unless, of course, you are being publicly persecuted on a BB.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

Sorry, but I still find the irony amusing. I really don't care whether he repented. I don't care whether people choose to forgive him or not. I don't really care that he's on his death bed. There are hundreds of thousands of people on their death beds every day, and I don't care about most of them. I'm sure that makes me a horrible person, but I only have so much caring to go around.

The IRONY is amusing. The deathbed thing? Meh.

I'll let you know when I'm ready to storm the hospital with my pitchfork. It could be a while.

[ETA: By "I don't care," I meant I don't wish him well or ill.]
    Last edited by Sithly; Sep. 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by diamondblue View Post
    It is NEVER okay to wish ill on someone. It makes you no better than him!
    Hmm...Thinking he got what he deserved vs arranging murders. Yepp, sounds like an equal crime to me. Oh wait, is that the Feds knocking on my door? See you guys in a few years....Will someone make a bracelet to prevent me from being reinstated into the USEF? Can it be pink? I LOVE pink.

Any time someone posts something on this board about PV it is going to open a lot of old wounds. You did not have to lose a horse to this "man's" actions to feel nothing but contempt for him.

"The dues" for such actions are NEVER repaid. His actions were reprehensible. His story was not exactly a "Crime and Punishment" type situation.

That being said- and irony aside-

My thoughts are with his family.

If I thought for one second that it was one horse, one time, I might find it in my heart to forgive. However, I am old. I have been around a long time. The last one was just the first time he was caught.

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    what goes around, comes around. sorry for his family, but really, the man should have NO friends in the horse world, imo.
    I have to agree with your statement.

Well first I have to say I pray for him and his family, age brings wisdom and as many said, people make mistakes in life (hello 50% divorce rate - I bet EVERYONE thought they were truly in love) and forgiveness is the key. I probably would be bitter against this man if he had taken the life of any of my horses but again, I wouldn't request an insurance kill either. All that aside, I do remember the late 80's when he was still training great equitation riders, I was in awe of him and extremely disappointed when I heard of his involvement in that whole disgusting situation. My only question now is, if he is banned from any and all USEF competitions why is he teaching, who do the kids end up going to the show with? Horses are dangerous in general and many good, educated people have gotten hurt, I wouldn't joke about it. I would only hope he has grown in life, learned to respect the animals who bring him money, no not insurance money, but actual income from teaching and selling. This may be his epiphany. Who knows but I don't think it is my place to cast judgement and that also goes for telling someone how they should feel about this situation and what kind of response they should have...

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    what goes around, comes around. sorry for his family, but really, the man should have NO friends in the horse world, imo.
    What I can never understand is how all these bad folks, Paul included, were able to rebound and thrive in a business they so brutally betrayed. I see it in
    the midwest where trainers who were booted out of the AHSA have now gotten
    their numbers back and are showing again. Sure, forgiveness is great, but I'd rather see them working at Costco then entrusted with the well being of animals. I also agree with Judy's statement.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

That sounds like a freak accident.

It sounds like he has made a positive impact in the lives of some people and I hope for the people who's lives are made better by him that he recovers.

World is not black and white. People can be good and bad. Don't forget that even "bad" people leave friends and family behind and that it is often those people who need the support and are most hurt by the ugly comments.

So he got kicked by a horse, has broken ribs. What else happened--why is he "fighting for his life"? Does anyone know his current condition?

Maggy Guest

"karma being a bitch" and "what comes around goes around"...well, I'd rather leave that to the man upstairs...we all have better things to put our energy to.

thoughts and prayers for Paul and his family and friends.

Yes, he's in serious condition...they are concerned about pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I do feel badly for him and his family but I have to say the irony of his being injured by a horse was not lost on me.... sorry but it is quite ironic. Have to admit to a little chuckle when I read that. (I am going straight to hell I know)

and for those of you praising him, it's your right and I don't blame you for liking him or feeling that he's reformed. However, my childhood innocence was taken away when my absolute favorite horse when I was a junior (Rub the Lamp) was murdered. I'll never forget no matter what he, or is cohort BW, does now to try to make good on thei bad deeds.
    SO sorry for your loss. Loosing a horse, it least for me, is one of the most difficult things we go through.

It's understandable that this accident--or any mention of those involved in those terrible events years ago--would spark a fresh exchange regarding that history.

There should be universal agreement that these crimes were horrific--likely no debate there. Whether or not individuals involved in and punished for crimes can be redeemed or are deserving of forgiveness, or well-wishes in the face of injury, is a topic that is greater than this horse-related board.

This thread pertains to PV's injury. This board should not be used to wish ill upon someone, regardless of their past. We've removed one post.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    Like she said, it was Rub The Lamp
    pirateer, i think that the question eq rider was asking was which horse did paul valierre contract to have electrocuted in order to collect insurance money. that horse was "Roseau Platiere".

Thanks Mods for trying to keep this on topic.

Can anyone provide an update on Paul's condition?

Thoughts and Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon