The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

As much as I despise what he did, he made a huge difference in my life.
    I was in my last junior year in 1981, my trainer from Florida had changed his show schedule when we got up to Long Island, and he (for absolutely no reason except he had a big heart) took me under his wing, and got me qualified for the Maclay finals. I was already qualified for the Medal. My Dad was a schoolteacher, and we did things on a shoestring, so there was not a big checkbook anywhere. My horse was lame on 3 legs, so Paul sent my parents (and my horse) back to Florida and gave me a place to stay in RI. I got to ride the sale horses, and I still remember my lessons as if they were yesterday (and that's saying a lot!). I was able to get qualified under his training, and he coached me in PA and NY. For him to do that, he made my dream as a young child (to ride at Madison Square Garden) come true, and I am forever grateful.
    When I read about him being part of 'the bad stuff', I was, and am still very sad. That is not the part of him that I want to remember. That was not the horseman that he showed me he was. Times and people change

Anyway, I wish him a speedy recovery.
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

CH, what a wonderful story. It's great that you have all those memories of him and what he did for you, in spite of what he may have done later on in his life. Thank you for sharing that.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Not everyone knows who he is. Especially younger kids.
    ya lol.. i know who he is now, i remember hearing about the drucks and sandman not too long ago (im only 16 so that was before my time) lol.. but ya i guess some people make bad decisions although i would have a hard time forgiving someone for that.. are there any pictures of the horse.. he ugh gulp.. collected on??

For all you people who are bashing Paul let me tell you something:

I wrote that article that appreared in the chronicle the other side of Aaron Vale". In it I mentioned that I was wheelchair bound and could not ride anymore beacuse my horse Fancy died. Paul V, Chuck Waters, Michael Kirby read that article, and went together and bought me a horse. Not only did they buy it but they drove up it up to me from Wellington on Christmas Eve to suprise me. Now because of their genorosity I have my legs back and I am able to see eye to eye with human's instead of always looking up at them. You people that are bashing him remember this there are many other prominate trainers of this day that were caught up in doing bad things to horses they just dident get caught. People can change what happened in the past is in the past and I don't care what he did all i know is he played a huge role in making my life more livable!!!!!!!!!
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"

It's a fine thing that many people defend someone who is badly injured and have good memories of how he related to "them". However, that doesn't change the character, ethics and measure of anyone who could purposely harm and kill and innocent animal for insurance money. It doesn't excuse it or make it better. He should have suffered the same torment and end years ago. There are no excuses or forgiveness. JMHO!
    PennyG

PV may have done nice things (and very publically thanked himself for it, i might add) but he probably SHOULDN'T have skipped that day in school where one learns about business ethics.

(I skipped the day on Manners- what can I say- tack of the day had a good sale)

This is what I hate about this board. People can be so ignorant. Human nature is comprised of both good and bad. People make mistakes. I do not believe PV would even consider doing something so horrible now. I am not condoning it, but all of you laughing and making snide comments should put yourself in someone elses shoes sometime. PV may have made a bad mistake, but he has also done some good for horses and the horse community. He was a big contributor to the Katrina rescues and the two stories posted here are just a few of the nice gestures he has extended. His heart is not cold and closed as it appears some of yours are. People evolve and learn everyday. Paul and his family should be in everyones prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Anything less is just as cruel as the acts you speak of!

Quote Originally Posted by diamondblue View Post
    I am not condoning it, but all of you laughing and making snide comments should put yourself in someone elses shoes sometime.
    Let me clarify my own statement here so that I don't get ambushed, imagine it was you lying there in that hospital bed fighting for you life . . . At some point, the bitterness has to wear off and forgiveness has to begin.

I do feel badly for him and his family but I have to say the irony of his being injured by a horse was not lost on me.... sorry but it is quite ironic. Have to admit to a little chuckle when I read that. (I am going straight to hell I know)

and for those of you praising him, it's your right and I don't blame you for liking him or feeling that he's reformed. However, my childhood innocence was taken away when my absolute favorite horse when I was a junior (Rub the Lamp) was murdered. I'll never forget no matter what he, or is cohort BW, does now to try to make good on thei bad deeds.
    Last edited by Mayaty02; Sep. 3, 2008 at 09:39 AM.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Let me clarify my own statement here so that I don't get ambushed, imagine it was you lying there in that hospital bed fighting for you life . . . At some point, the bitterness has to wear off and forgiveness has to begin.
    Imagine the feelings of the innocent horses that died at the hands of those who killed them for insurance money. Electrocution is not a painless death. They didn't get the option of fighting for their lives...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I do feel badly for him and his family but I have to say the irony of his being injured by a horse was not lost on me.... sorry but it is quite ironic. Have to admit to a little chuckle when I read that. (I am going straight to hell I know)

and for those of you praising him, it's your right and I don't blame you for liking him or feeling that he's reformed. However, he took my childhood innocence away when he killed my absolute favorite horse when I was a junior (Rub the Lamp). I'll never forget no matter what he does now to try to make good on his bad deeds.
    if you dont mind my asking what horse was it??

Quote Originally Posted by eqrider1234 View Post
    if you dont mind my asking what horse was it??
    Like she said, it was Rub The Lamp

This is what I hate about this board. People can be so ignorant. Human nature is comprised of both good and bad. People make mistakes. I do not believe PV would even consider doing something so horrible now. I am not condoning it, but all of you laughing and making snide comments should put yourself in someone elses shoes sometime. PV may have made a bad mistake,
    Not.
    A "mistake" is entering a non-eligible horse in the first year greens.

Contract insurance killing of an animal is a premeditated crime.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Gosh, yall, let's all just say an eye for an eye! Let's go grab our pitch forks and our torches and storm his hospital! And you know what? Let's put all them convicts on death row and cleanse our nation while we're at it! right? No forgiveness! Are you guys kidding?

You talk about karma and then you say how you are happy this happened. Maybe you guys should watch out...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Imagine the feelings of the innocent horses that died at the hands of those who killed them for insurance money. Electrocution is not a painless death. They didn't get the option of fighting for their lives...
    And two wrongs don't make a right! I am a horse lover day in and day out. I think it is horrible and I think many of us have learned a fonder appreciation of these guys having witnessed what went on, but it does not make it okay to laugh and ridicule when he is on his death bed. You all should be ashamed, it makes you no better than he is!

Default here we go

My thoughts are with Paul and his family and especially Cecilia who taught me when I was 13. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Guys, please, let's not turn this into another PV bashing thread.

Please simply extend your thoughts and prayers to his family.

Thanks!

Mod 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Not.
    A "mistake" is entering a non-eligible horse in the first year greens.

Contract insurance killing of an animal is a premeditated crime.
    And he payed his dues. This place is like a snake pit with all this venom

And he payed his dues. This place is like a snake pit with all this venom
    How, pray tell, did he pay his dues?

You cannot "pay" for murder. Heck, even the death penalty used on humans does not bring back the lives of those who were killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    How, pray tell, did he pay his dues?

You cannot "pay" for murder. Heck, even the death penalty used on humans does not bring back the lives of those who were killed.

Maybe he's sorry. Maybe he hates himself every minute of every day for what he did. Quite frankly, I think that hating myself would be a worse punishment than anything else you could do to me, as I have to live with myself and what I've done. Maybe the good things that he's done since are an attempt to keep from hating himself so much for what he's done.

I don't know this for a fact, of course, and I'm as appalled by his past behavior as you are, trust me!

But I still want to believe that people are good, or can change for good, and may be driven to tragic decisions by circumstances they think they can't controll...

An excuse? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! A reason? Yes....Can he make up for it? I don't know...will we let him? Probably not to the extent where we will let him have control of our horses (I wouldn't) but to the extent where we simply let him be without being persecuted?

If there is no hope for redemption then why bother to better yourself?

In the meantime, my sincerest best wishes to his friends and family.
    Last edited by IveGotRhythm; Sep. 3, 2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway