The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lincoln, CA Fire

Edgar - Is your place safe? I'm behind on checking in as I wasn't online all weekend and just happened to hear about it from my friend Kara who lives there and said there were a lot of big trailers in the area evacuating horses but she didn't recognize any as yours.

My thoughts to out to everyone during these fires.
    Cloverfox Stables

Power just came back on, yes, I think we were lucky as it burned on 3 sides of us but we have flood irrigated pastures and a hay field that is luckily still green so that gave us a big buffer. We moved some of the horses closer to the head quarters and brought in the stallions and some of the horses out of pastures closest to the fire as it was getting lots of low flying planes and helicopters dumping water and orange stuff. It was a good feeling today to have a mostly green irrigated property as I saw the fire rip through the neighbors quickly past us, jump the road and turn around us continuing all the way to hwy 193. Tonight we are still smoldering at the edges of our hay field but I think that is it. The command center is set up in our driveway, hopefully not too much personal damage was done but it did burn some structures including at least one of our neighbors homes and big old barns. I also found about 30 sheep in our hay field that fled from somewhere.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Thats good to hear that your place is safe Edgar! The smoke up here in Placerville was insane (From both the Sacramento fire, and Lincoln fire I guess). As soon as I heard about the Lincoln fire I was wondering about your place.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I saw it on the news last night (I'm far enough south where I didn't see any smoke here).
    I hope all the people and animals are okay! The high winds yesterday were a bad set-up for fires! I keep wanting to irregate my pastures for so many reasons, fire prevention being only one of them! Glad to hear Edgar and his place where okay!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Edgar -

Duh, don't know where I was, but didn't even realize until reading this post that there was a fire in your area. Guess I've gotten so used to the smoke this summer I didn't notice, or else the winds were so strong they blew it out the other direction.

If you need any help with mopup/cleanup, just let us know. We'd be glad to come out and help.
    SherryM
    WildSwan Hanoverians

Glad to hear you are doing ok Edgar. That must have been pretty crazy for awhile.

Congratulations on the new sheep. Lucky for them they found a safe place to shelter until the danger passed.

We're in for a bad fire season - 2nd year of drought, everything is dry, dry, dry. And irrigated pasture is not an option for many in the area, Edgar is really lucky to have water, I know people who live in that area who have to truck in enough to water their arenas! And here (two counties due south), irrigated pasture is a great rarity, wells are going dry, and my friends whose husbands are firefighters say it has already been a long tough year - months before fire season usually starts.

Hoping for rain - soon...

Glad to hear no major damage at Edgar's (or anyone else's that I know in the area).
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Default Glad to hear your place is safe Edgar!

I'm just over in town here in Lincoln, and as soon as we saw where the fire was coming from, we drove over there, but they had all roads in blocked so we couldn't tell where or who exactly was being affected. Our friends live just off Wise Rd. between McCourtney and Garden Bar and the fire burned right up to their property line (they have 80 acres), but thank god for the fire fighters as they were able to stop it there and save his barns and home.
    Really scary stuff...I'm another volunteer for if you need any help let me know...I'm only about 5-10 minutes from your place

We are doing fine, just burned the edges of our property; trees, fencing and some irrigation pipe. Sheep are still here, they like my hay field. Went over to see my neighbor across the street and offered him a place to stay as his house is not just burned but completely gone as well as trucks, cars, farm equipment, 62 years old, lived there just about all his live, he had enough warning to find his wife and get out of the house, they are OK but how sad to see them lose all their belongings and so many memories. Several others were burned and several amazingly saved with everything around the homes burned. Hard to believe how fast the fire traveled fueled by the wind.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

This is just so terribly hard to imagine. Edgar, I'm glad to hear you and yours are safe.. and so sorry for your neighbors and friends. My prayers are with you all.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Glad everyone over there is okay. I was wondering when I heard on the news where it started and then got a call from a client over there needing a place to bring horses.... Edgar's right smack in the middle of the two spots. I was hooked up ready to go over and hustling moving horses to take in a bunch of hers, but it came up to them so fast they could only move a few horses down the street to the west throw the others in a pasture and turn on sprinklers. It burned up to her place, took out the neighbors house across the street and then kept on going east.

I posted her pics and email on my blog. Just a good reminder to have an evac. plan and some supplies at the ready.

Default Edgar's farm

So glad to hear you were spared, Edgar. What a dreadful thing to have happened.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

Hello Edgar,
    Glad to hear that you and your family (including the four-legged ones) are alright and your place is too, though sorry to hear about your neighbors. I did not hear of the fire until now - don't know where I've been either. My family is also available to help (even though I know that you said you were alright) as we aren't that far away. How is the amount of smoke in your area? It is still pretty breezy in the Tri-Valley area.
    Take care,

Thank you,
    It is not smokey anymore, sky is pretty clear, but because so much around us has burned it smells a bit like a smoke pit. I think that will stop in a few days...
    www.immunallusa.com