The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Ouch. That, my sweet little evesadopter is an adorable little slide show with about 8 recycled pictures of a pony and some precious little slides neatly timed to give us the lyrics to the deeply emotional music track.

It is not and cannot be confused with anything like a case against (or for) euthanasia for that particular animal. It does not say or prove she was or was not dangerous. It is the true story of absolutely nothing as judged by every reasonable standard out there. In fact, about all it says is something about the creator of said video, and that is that this person appears to be an emotion wracked angst ridden teen, who in the way of teenagers is not likely to understand that we can't save them all and just maybe there are hard choices to be made by the adults.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by evesadopter View Post
    I have the true Maggie story now. And it's SAD.

It wasn't necessary.
    Of course it's sad. It is sad every time it is necessary to euthanize a horse, any horse.

MaggieMae's unsafe status is witnessed in the latest video, in which she sports a yellow tag (how old is that photo?), and a red tag when being held by the child who, I understand, was not red-level rated. Days End horses are rated green, yellow or red depending on how safe a horse is for handling. So are volunteers, but they don't have to wear (duct tape) tags.

The OP will believe what she chooses to believe, as will everyone else reading this thread. I don't see how continuing videos, websites, petitions, mass e-mails and internet posts will help any of the 60+ horses at Days End. I'm thinking that, based on her actions, that the OP doesn't consider them worthy.

I do, and I always will. It's why I bothered to respond this time.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

OP, I am not sure how old you are. I am sure you loved those horses/ponies. I love my horses and can't imagine them ending up in a slaughter plant somewhere down in mexico. Euthanasia is a much better and kinder option . It is a sad state of affairs today. As one who has dealt with a lot of loss in life-mostly human, I can understand how painful it might be. But such is life-it is part of a cycle and much as we humans may not want to admit it, we too are part of this cycle.. So hopefully you come to terms with it-it is part of growing up-assuming you are young...The rescue seems to be a nice rescue and I think that it is nice that they are looking at the quality of the horse's life vs. quantity. It is nice that horses can graze and have room to move about. She also appears to have put in a lot of years for he horses. Sometimes the horses have to come through too. Some maybe too far gone... Hope you feel better...

I don't think you or rescuemom wasted your breath at all. Days End has an excellent reputation - it's a horse rescue that others should look up to - not down on.

The problem with people like the OP is that they spread falsehoods and misinformation - and it could damage your rescue. There are a lot of people that have had bad experiences with rescues, or have seen bad ones that are actually run by hoarders, charlatans, or lunatics. It would be all too easy for your Days End to get lumped in with those - just because of posts like the OP's.

And that would a great disservice to horses that are in need - even if the decision is to end their lives humanely after attempts to rehab and place them. Responsible decisions aren't about sunshine and rainbows and happy thoughts.

Anyway - I'm glad y'all posted and hope things are going well. Doing good rescue work is emotionally and physically draining - and I know you guys must be exhausted.

Stay your course. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy it. I know you loved the mare, but did YOU adopt her? Pay all her bills forever? Find a trainer? Why not? Your video shows the same 4 or 5 still pictures over and over again of a horse not put under any pressure to do anything other than stand there. If you had hours of footage of her being impeccable under saddle, standing for the farrier, the vet, learning new things, and never blowing up I *might* think differently. But I do know a bit of this mare's history, and her loving and quiet moments were interspersed with very difficult and downright dangerous behavior. There are too many horses out there that are suffering, and we can't save them all. Tough decisions HAVE to be made, and truly death is NOT a terrible thing for a horse, not unless it a death by starvation, neglect, catastophic injury - all those things that happen to horses who are not lucky enough to end up in a top notch rescue like DEFHR.

But... you are going to believe they are evil no matter what, so I guess I've wasted my breath and several minutes of my life.

Well what is the truth??

If you have evidence of animal cruelty or neglect - report it to Animal Control.

Otherwise - shut the hell up. In case you haven't noticed, no one is nibbling at the bait.

ETA - tkhawk - sorry - my post was not directed at you!!! Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Well what is the truth??
    I'll PM you

*snort*

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Well what is the truth??
    OP did you delete your quote?? My above one was a respondse to yours -I think it said something along the lines of we guys don't get it. But what is it that we don't get???

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    If you have evidence of animal cruelty or neglect - report it to Animal Control.

Otherwise - shut the hell up. In case you haven't noticed, no one is nibbling at the bait.

ETA - tkhawk - sorry - my post was not directed at you!!! Oops!
    Oh no I was responding to OP-I think she deleted the post... OP would like to hear your sid ein public though. Because when you say someone is killing their horses for no reason-that is starting to sound like the other two unpopular rescues we hear about .. It is one thing to be angry/sad, but this person does not sound like Celeita-so most of us would like to hear both sides before accepting that this recscue goes around killing horses for no reason...

Rescuemom,

I watched your video. GREAT job with the before and after. You are the type of rescuer that makes not hate rescuers.

So ... good on ya.

Evesadopter,

I am sorry that a horse you obviously cared so much with was euthanised. Death is a very, very difficult thing to handle, especially if you felt that it was uneccessary. I suspect that there were a lot of things going on that you perhaps didn't have total visibility into. I volunteer with a rescue in TX and perhaps feel that there are more horses that should be euthanised. Every horse that is saved, that is not adopted, costs hundreds a month to keep. For every horse that stays a long time in a rescue there are many other horses that end up not being rescued. It's a trade off unfortunately, not something you want to hear when you loved that horse so much, but by letting one or two horses go that had had a good life, albeit shorter than you wanted, it has freed up the space and money for other horses that hopefully will be able to find long term homes.

Thanks, Sithly! We are so fortunate to have a good number of volunteers who post great YouTube videos about us and our horses.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Default I don't think that's the true story......

Quote Originally Posted by evesadopter View Post
    Actually I do!

Maggie May was killed because "she was too dangerous".

Here's a movie about this KILLER PONY!
    http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRrif_dI-Q

I have the true Maggie story now. And it's SAD.

It wasn't necessary.
    So if the adopters loved her so much and had her for two years why did she end up back at the rescue? Why didn't she have a forever home with them? And if every horse is adoptable, why did they un-adopt her? Why didn't you adopt her? Again, I think there's more to the story. If people are going to relinquish their rights as adopters, then they (or you as an outsider) have absolutely no right to then bemoan the fate of the pony that they made someone else's problem. The only way you can control what happens to a horse is to own / adopt it yourself, and then it can live the life that you want. But I think I'm about the 9485354th person that has mentioned this so blatently obvious point and you still.just.don't.seem.to.get.it. Seriously, my mellow is so harshed.

It's funny how on the youtube sites you'll only post comments that agree with yours. But look what happens on this forum where people are actually able to tell you how it really is. Your passion and drive are admirable, but your focus is on the wrong people. Get mad at the original owners who caused the starvation or mistreatment or abandonment. Get mad at the "trainers" who overface horses and scare them past the point of safety. Get mad at the world for not allowing all horses to live a long and happy life in a green field filled with faeries and daisies where everyone gets along and horses pee whiskey and poop butterflies. But why get mad at a well run, well respected rescue that is trying its hardest to rescue as many horses they can, and place as many as possible.

Seriously, how do you think that pictures of Maggie are the TRUE story. Heck, some of the most dangerous horses I've known have also been the most photogenic, most talented and even the most likeable..... But that doesn't mean that the pretty horse won't spook spin and buck every time a saddle is put on, or the talented one won't rear and flip over when it is asked to work, or the likeable one won't break your arm when it pulls back because you moved too quickly around its head. My TB mare was stunning, but she had a spin/rear move that would leave most in the dirt nine times out of ten. After three years trying to work through it she ended up in a field because I didn't want to risk selling her to someone as a jumper and have her flip over on them. But I have tons of gorgeous pictures of her, hanging in a paddock, draped over her neck, jumping bigish fences. But she was still dangerous.

Oh, and the innuendo - "I'll tell you about the REAL goings on in a PM" is just gossipy bull. If you don't have the guts to post it here (likely b/c you know the reaction), then don't snidely suggest that you've got all the "insider's information" in the hopes that we'll be on your side.

Wow, can't remember the last time I posted on this board. OP, I really hope you one day can see past the black beauty or misty of chincoteague stories and realize that reality means hard choices, and sometimes the happy endings for horses is a quick and painful death. And sometimes that death may lead to numerous other happy endings that wouldn't have been possible without some hard decisions being made.

Hey Evesadopter you seem to be avoiding the questions you are being asked. Instead of spewing emotions every where why not answer the questions with some facts. Did you offer to pay board on these horses that you feel were wrongly put down? Did you offer to adopt them? Were you willing to pay their way?

To me it sounds like the rescue is being very responsible. Two thumbs up to the rescue for doing the right thing.

We permitted this thread as a general discussion about euthanasia policies in rescues; not as a means for accusations to be made against a specific rescue. We're closing the thread.

Thanks,
    Mod 1