The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    One more thing and then I am done feeding the troll...

If you honestly believe that every horse is wanted and should not be euthanized despite soundness, age, or temperment.... you do it. You open a rescue. You try to solicit the needed donations. You end up taking on a 2nd or even 3rd job all while caring for these animals, just so you can pay the bills. You go through what few apps you get and try to weed out the people who plan on picking them up and making a quick stop at New Holland. You do the training, or hire some one who will take on rank ponies that have tried to kill people (I guarantee those trainers will be few and far between). You do all that, for no pay, and just see how long you can make it like that.

If you wanted to have some credibility, you would have come on and stated your issue and agenda against this particular place. You would not have tried to suck people into what might have been a debate. As it is, you are railing against what most will see to be as one of the good ones. If you want to throw yourself on the ground and have temper tantrums over the care of rescue horses, look up the threads on CBER and that one in Colorado. As it is, you have no argument, and there are enough real rescuers on here that do the grunt work every day that in the end you just look foolish.
    I don't want to argue with anyone. If you don't believe me fine. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throats.

Arguing with people is pointless, as it only makes more flaming. Don't accuse me of anything until YOU'VE talked to the rescue yourself. I guarantee if you ask why they put those horses down you will receive 5 totally different answers from 5 different people. There are no straight answers as to why those horses were euthanized. The rescue doesn't have a legitimate reason.

Before I even posted this I asked the mod. for permission, so call me a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by evesadopter View Post
    I don't want to argue with anyone. If you don't believe me fine. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throats.

Arguing with people is pointless, as it only makes more flaming. Don't accuse me of anything until YOU'VE talked to the rescue yourself. I guarantee if you ask why they put those horses down you will receive 5 totally different answers from 5 different people. There are no straight answers as to why those horses were euthanized. The rescue doesn't have a legitimate reason.

Before I even posted this I asked the mod. for permission, so call me a troll.
    They don't need a reason. Some asshat didn't want the horse. They end up in rescues because no one wants the responsibility. If said rescue thinks they aren't worth the time, energy and resources, they put them down. And they probably don't explain the reason in detail to everyone involved with the place. So step up and take the horses yourself.

I have nothing against humane euthanasia, either, because there are so many worse things that can happen to a horse. Here's a little taste of what horses, responsible horse owners, and rescuers are up against:
    http://www.tbfriends.com/
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

In my opinion, they are not doing anything wrong by euthanising unadoptable horses. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to, but the truth is that there are too many horses out there that are adoptable that rescues don't have room for.

I think if you are so concerned about it, you should put your money where your mouth is and open up your own rescue. Then you can do anything you want with the horses

Having rescued, rehabbed, rehomed and retired more than my fair share of unwanted and abandoned horses, I know the money, time and emotions that come with this territory. When it comes to the hard reality out there, I fully understand the problems the rescues are facing. When it comes to my moral compass, I think the rescues that run their barns like the town or city dog pound, giving a horse a certain amount of time and resources towards rehoming, and then euthanizing them in order to manufacture an opening in the barn for another arrival is disgustingly reprehensible.

But that's the state of affairs in many of these rescues today. They got into this thing to rescue, rehab and rehome a horse, and that's how they wish to continue their operations. They do not wish to become retirement facilities, they do not wish to slow their rescue rate down further or change their conveyor belt rescue mentality by closing their doors for years until the horses are really at the end of their time and then are euthanized, and there are not enough homes and retirement facilities available to place or dump these horses on (depending on your point of view), even if they are willing to tolerate the rescues' restrictions and policies. Unfortunately, OP, that is the type of rescue you became involved with, and, although I wish you the best of luck trying to change this situation with this particular rescue, you probably will not be able to.

If you lack the funding to start your own retirement facility, I would suggest searching for a rescue that has learned how to realize its own size and limitations, picks its battles with more care, and has the resources or funding base to absorb and retire those horses it cannot rehome. Although the good ones are in the minority in this country, these rescues do exist, and are worth working with. I think you would be happier working in one of those over the long run. In lieu of that, I would suggest adopting horses as your own finances will allow, and learn to be at peace knowing you have done something to better the lives of a few horses in your own corner of the world. That alone can make quite a difference. JMHO.

Good luck in your work with horses.

Chief2, fyi you might want to do some research on Days End before assuming anything. They're a good group

A lot of other rescues disagree with what DEFHR is doing also.
    Two simple questions:

First is the one you didn't answer - you claim that other "rescues" had offered homes for several of Days End's horses, so why are two of those horses still being "featured" on your website and video as being in danger of being euthed??

Secondly, in reference to the first question, and the quote from a later post of yours that I referenced above, exactly who are these "other rescues"? Do you know them personally? Been to their facilities? I'd like to know who you consider responsible and reputable rescue organizations, please.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    Chief2, fyi you probably want to do some research on Days End before making those kinds of statements.
    Boy, you got that right.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Having rescued, rehabbed, rehomed and retired more than my fair share of unwanted and abandoned horses, I know the money, time and emotions that come with this territory. When it comes to the hard reality out there, I fully understand the problems the rescues are facing. When it comes to my moral compass, I think the rescues that run their barns like the town or city dog pound, giving a horse a certain amount of time and resources towards rehoming, and then euthanizing them in order to manufacture an opening in the barn for another arrival is disgustingly reprehensible.

But that's the state of affairs in many of these rescues today. They got into this thing to rescue, rehab and rehome a horse, and that's how they wish to continue their operations. They do not wish to become retirement facilities, they do not wish to slow their rescue rate down further or change their conveyor belt rescue mentality by closing their doors for years until the horses are really at the end of their time and then are euthanized, and there are not enough homes and retirement facilities available to place or dump these horses on (depending on your point of view), even if they are willing to tolerate the rescues' restrictions and policies. Unfortunately, OP, that is the type of rescue you became involved with, and, although I wish you the best of luck trying to change this situation with this particular rescue, you probably will not be able to.

If you lack the funding to start your own retirement facility, I would suggest searching for a rescue that has learned how to realize its own size and limitations, picks its battles with more care, and has the resources or funding base to absorb and retire those horses it cannot rehome. Although the good ones are in the minority in this country, these rescues do exist, and are worth working with. I think you would be happier working in one of those over the long run. In lieu of that, I would suggest adopting horses as your own finances will allow, and learn to be at peace knowing you have done something to better the lives of a few horses in your own corner of the world. That alone can make quite a difference. JMHO.

Good luck in your work with horses.
    Thank you.

Days End keeps saying "We're not a sanctuary." But that never stopped them from keep other horses at their farm before.

To the poster right above this, You can do as much research about this rescue as you want. It doesn't mean they're a nice, innocent rescue. Until you've volunteered with them, and have seen the things that go on within the rescue, you really won't be able to understand the situation.

That's all I'm saying. Thanks to everyone who responded! If you ever want to get updates on the protest, you know where to find me.

Thanks again! ~evesadopter

Personally, I think the Days End euth policy (as stated on their web site) is eminently fair and sensible. It's not just one person making arbitrary decisions and it's done after careful consideration and with proper professional input. I feel that a lot of rescued horses have a lot of time, effort and emotion expended on them when it could be argued very reasonably that they should have simply been (HUMANELY!!!!) PTS when their situation was first encountered. Thus I am not against slaughter, per se - just against inhumane transport and treatment (of any animal).

To the poster right above this, You can do as much research about this rescue as you want. It doesn't mean they're a nice, innocent rescue. Until you've volunteered with them, and have seen the things that go on within the rescue, you really won't be able to understand the situation.

That's all I'm saying. Thanks to everyone who responded! If you ever want to get updates on the protest, you know where to find me.

Thanks again! ~evesadopter
    Just as I figured; you won't answer two simple questions. As for "finding you" for "further updates", nope, not interested. I already know what I need to know, but apparently that's not the case with you.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I'm not assuming anything about this rescue because I know nothing about it, nor do I wish to research it, period. I just don't see that launching an internet campaign against it is the most productive use of the OP's time and resources. She isn't happy with the group and isn't happy with their way of doing whatever it is they do,, and that should be enough to tell her to move on to more productive pastures, where she feels her talents, time and resources will be better utilized. That's it from my end.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I saw Days End in action in Mississippi after Katrina. They sure looked like 'good guys' to me and I know for a fact that they put out a lot of their own money to be there and help out!

Did you see Days End, or did you see Allan? (no longer associated with DEFHR)

Not saying that I doubt Days End was involved at all, but I believe Allan Schwartz works for the Humane Society disaster rescue, so he may have been there on this organization's behalf, not DEF....

What is a protest and sign-in going to accomplish? You'll bring the list to the rescue and they'll what? Change their already decent and working policy? Suddenly decide to become a warehouse and retirement facility? Stop rescuing more horses that *can* find new homes easily and let them continue to be neglected, abused or sent on the now l-o-n-g road to slaughter? All so *you* can feel better about the two horses you got to know and now feel they should live thier lives out on the rescue's dime because you love them but aren;t ready or willing to take financial responsibility for them yourself?
    Does that make sense? You want them to care for those horses forever and/or take the months and income to try training them better hoping they're trainable horses so YOU feel better about horses you got to know personally? And yet YOU won't try making a collection for adopting them yourself? Or are not out trying to find adopters for these horses? You just want to try to smear the excellent reputation of a rescue who is doing the right and correct things according to *most* responsible horse owners so they (in your mind) fold to your wishes and keep spending their donated money on currently unadopable horses...that's childish, unpofessional and ridiculous. Buy them, adopt them, find adopters for them, raise money for training them further...but don't try to force someone else who already saved them once to keep supporting forever because of your emotions.
    Why have you not taken them? I'm guessing either you can't afford them or they won't adopt them to you because you're not capable of safely handling them. In either instance...your point becomes moot.
    I understand the emotions behind your feelings...but it's time to grow up and face reality. And stop trying to discredit a VERY reputable organization...if I sign any petition it will be that reputable rescues have to give a sanity and maturity test to all potential volunteers.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If you've got a problem with it - adopt the horses and take care of them yourself.

Or write them a check for 200K so they can keep the horses in the style you demand until they die of natural causes.

Otherwise, shut up.

I'm currently protesting a rescue who is euthanizing their horses because they are too old and lack training. Here's a link if you're interested:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/sto...ays-end-horses

J Swan thats exactly what I think when some of the anti slaughter people flip out. It never works with them either.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

OP,you need to volunteer at a RETIREMENT facility,not a RESCUE facility.Or,open your own rescue,and run it as you see fit.There are plenty of needy horses to go around these days.Good luck to you.

What are you trying to accomplish? Post inflammatory comments and get everyone to hate DEFHR so that they don't get more support/donations? You will have shot yourself in the foot, if your goal was to save more horses.

You say that DEFHR is a rescue, not a shelter. I have yet to hear of a shelter that takes in horses in any significant quantity. SOMEBODY has to shoulder the burden of unwanted horses. What should DEFHR start doing, turning down more horses? What of the new horses that will have to be turned down if they decide not to euthanize more unadoptable horses?

If I can fault DEFHR for anything, it would be for not screening and educating their volunteers more carefully -- your ethics and priorities and philosophy about horse rescuing clearly do not mesh with theirs, or those of 90+% of this board, and I am amazed that you lasted 8 years there.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
    Eventing Yahoo In Training

Ok this is all I am going to say: I would rather see a horse that is too old, and unadoptable be HUMANELY euthanized, to make room for another horse... then for a rescue to turn down a horse that MAY be adoptable, then that horse to sit somewhere and starve, or be abused...

Whats better starving to death OR dying in your sleep?
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy 8 View Post
    Ok this is all I am going to say: I would rather see a horse that is too old, and unadoptable be HUMANELY euthanized, to make room for another horse... then for a rescue to turn down a horse that MAY be adoptable, then that horse to sit somewhere and starve, or be abused...

The problem with this is when the line is not as clear cut...

Say Horse A is a 10 yo QH mare, not sound right now but could improve with proper farrier and veterinary care and maybe some supplements/medications. Horse B is sound and healthy, but is 25 yrs old. Who goes - who stays?? I wouldn't want to be the one to decide...