The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I don't think enough rescues euthanize hard to adopt horses. Go ahead and flame me if you like...I'm a strong supporter of rescues (financially) but will not donate to any rescue who warehouses unadoptable horses. I also will not donate to any rescue who will use funds for an expensive operation for a rescue...this country is literally flooded with healthy, sane animals that need the second chance too and a rescue by definition should rescue and rehome as many as possible and not pick and choose expensive, unwanted cases because they tug at heart strings. You get into being a rescue because of your heart...you *have* to run it with your head as a business otherwise you will not be helping more than a very select few. IMO, that's absolutely ridiculous. It's a numbers business if it's going to be succesful.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sorry guys, I just don't think that humane euthanasia is a bad thing.

Horses don't conceptualize life like we do. Our attachment is not theirs. There is nothing wrong with a quick end.

Eavesdropper, there's just not realistic way that every horse can be saved. IT's just not gonna happen.

Those that have a better chance usurp those that don't.

Rescues do not have ifinite funds. Their money is very finite. Choices have to be made.

If you want to be the one making the choice create, and fund, your own resuce.

If you can't do that then support the rescue you're talking about w/enough funds to take care of those horses you don't want to see put down.

Or... suck it up and realize that every horse can't live indefinately in this imperfect world. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

Quote Originally Posted by evesadopter View Post
    Because of this protest many other rescues and organizations have offered to take in Mountain, Gatsby and have offered to help the other horses.
    Wonderful! So, why are they still being touted on your website and video as in danger of being euthed if numerous homes for them have been found?
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Are YOU bankrolling the rescue? Are you OFFERING to bankroll the rescue? There's more to rescuing animals than SPACE.

If you can do it better, start your own rescue. Then you can deal with the time, money, and space crunch and show us all how it's done.

Again ... what makes a horse different than the thousands and thousands of healthy (and infinitely more adoptable than an 'aged' horse) dogs and cats put down in shelters all over the US every week?

PS: Unadoptable does exist. You must not have been paying very much attention in those eight years of volunteering if those rose colored glasses are still firmly over your eyes.
    DEFHR has spent $2400 on euthanasias. They have the funds to take care of these animals. $2400 could've been spent on food, training, etc.

I support shelters, but shelters are different than rescues. Rescues don't euthanize their animals to make space for more. I worked with a GSD rescue a while back and they never euthanized their dogs, ever.

It would be wonderful if there could be a forever home for every horse that ends up in a rescue. But, realistically, it doesn't happen. For all the reasons that have been given above, sometimes horses have to be euthanized, at every rescue. If not, what happens when the next group of horses that need rescuing comes along, and all the rescues are full of unadobtables? Do they, figuratively, stand outside the gates, waiting and suffering?

You have the gumption to be devoting time and energy to this idealistic cause of yours. Sounds like you have plenty of energy and drive. Your time, however could be much better spent campaigning to help Day's End, which is one of the premier rescue organizations in the United States, rather than discrediting it. You are not doing them, or all of the horses that they help any good.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default BINGO!!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I don't think enough rescues euthanize hard to adopt horses. Go ahead and flame me if you like...I'm a strong supporter of rescues (financially) but will not donate to any rescue who warehouses unadoptable horses. I also will not donate to any rescue who will use funds for an expensive operation for a rescue...this country is literally flooded with healthy, sane animals that need the second chance too and a rescue by definition should rescue and rehome as many as possible and not pick and choose expensive, unwanted cases because they tug at heart strings. You get into being a rescue because of your heart...you *have* to run it with your head as a business otherwise you will not be helping more than a very select few. IMO, that's absolutely ridiculous. It's a numbers business if it's going to be succesful.
    Go look at the Giveaways forum here. People are having trouble giving away healthy useful horses.... It's hard to find homes for the good ones and really hard to find homes for the ones with issues. There just aren't that many homes. Rescues need to be responsible with the funds they get - especially in the current climate.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Sorry guys, I just don't think that humane euthanasia is a bad thing.

Horses don't conceptualize life like we do. Our attachment is not theirs. There is nothing wrong with a quick end.
    I'm with Paragon on this one. Euthanasia is sad, but it's not cruel. I frankly am tired of bleeding hearts who think that euthanasia is a 'bad' option for an unwanted horse- even if the horse is perfectly healthy. Euthanasia is far preferable than the treatment some 'rescued' horses receive from well meaning but under financed and overburdened rescue groups. Witness the periodic press accounts of rescued horses that have to be rescued from the rescuers.

Quote Originally Posted by fourh mom View Post
    Eavesdropper (evesadopter, but that's ok ), there's just not realistic way that every horse can be saved. IT's just not gonna happen.

Those that have a better chance usurp those that don't.

Rescues do not have ifinite funds. Their money is very finite. Choices have to be made.

If you want to be the one making the choice create, and fund, your own resuce.

If you can't do that then support the rescue you're talking about w/enough funds to take care of those horses you don't want to see put down.

Or... suck it up and realize that every horse can't live indefinately in this imperfect world. sylvia
    Actually, this rescue does have the funds. That's what I'm saying not every horse can be saved. So DEFHR needs to focus on the horses they have now, instead of irresponsibly taking in more horses than they can.

It sounds to me like they are being responsible for the horses they have - just not how you would be responsible.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    It would be wonderful if there could be a forever home for every horse that ends up in a rescue. But, realistically, it doesn't happen. For all the reasons that have been given above, sometimes horses have to be euthanized, at every rescue. If not, what happens when the next group of horses that need rescuing comes along, and all the rescues are full of unadobtables? Do they, figuratively, stand outside the gates, waiting and suffering?

You have the gumption to be devoting time and energy to this idealistic cause of yours. Sounds like you have plenty of energy and drive. Your time, however could be much better spent campaigning to help Day's End, which is one of the premier rescue organizations in the United States, rather than discrediting it. You are not doing them, or all of the horses that they help any good.
    I can't support a rescue that is killing their horses...and almost killed my horse. A lot of other rescues disagree with what DEFHR is doing also.

DEFHR is being dishonest, and I can't support them, not anymore.

You mentioned they spent $2400 on euthenasia.

You mentioned there was a horse who jumps 4' fences w/a rider aboard.

Now... if they spent $$ to train that ONE horse it would, most likely, come to well over that $2400 mark.

For ONE horse.

Not to mention the others who might need comparable training or special meds or just plain ole hay. Hay isn't free.

I just can't take your word for it that they have plenty of money to sustain, and train, all the horses in their care.

I also am not buying into your comments about how they have so much more land now why should they stop at 65 horses? Well, if they were horribly overcrowded w/50 in the old place why, oh why, would they want to then become over crowded in their new place? sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    It sounds to me like they are being responsible for the horses they have - just not how you would be responsible.
    If you knew DEFHR like I do, you wouldn't think they're being responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by fourh mom View Post
    You mentioned they spent $2400 on euthenasia.

You mentioned there was a horse who jumps 4' fences w/a rider aboard.

Now... if they spent $$ to train that ONE horse it would, most likely, come to well over that $2400 mark.

For ONE horse.

Not to mention the others who might need comparable training or special meds or just plain ole hay. Hay isn't free.

I just can't take your word for it that they have plenty of money to sustain, and train, all the horses in their care.

I also am not buying into your comments about how they have so much more land now why should they stop at 65 horses? Well, if they were horribly overcrowded w/50 in the old place why, oh why, would they want to then become over crowded in their new place? sylvia
    Okay.

$2400 on euthanisation? Honey, 2400 is nothing in horses. Maybe that will cover care for 4 horses in most areas for 1 month. That's it. One month. Not including training... I'm talking board, farrier, and vet. And that's a young and healthy horse with no training issues. Add training, or emaciated horses, or the geriatric care... well you are looking at far more.

Sure maybe they have more LAND... but hay is up, grain is up, gas is up which means farrier and vet are up. And that means that donations are down. Money is finite, and rescues can only do so much. At least they are letting them go peacefully and responsibly rather than giving them a one way ticket to Mexico. It's called the final act of kindness... take the ones that are not adoptable, or even easily adoptable, and give them a kind peaceful ending. Quite frankly that is better than the "rescues" that are over horsed and under staffed and funded and letting their horses starve to death out in the pastures. Like an EMT, the rescues have to triage too.

If you knew DEFHR like I do, you wouldn't think they're being responsible.
    Then freakin' TELL us why you don't. What is your personal experience that makes you so against them? Or are you just going on rumors and innuendo. No one can take your word for it if you don't present a cogent argument.

Rescues have the responsibility to care for horses most likely to be adopted. If no one is going to want them, then humane euthanasia is a wonderful option. No one wants another old horse. No one wants a horse they can't ride. No one wants an unruly poorly trained nag. You should thank the stars that there are rescues that can provide these horses with a quick end.

I think they should be euthanizing a lot more horses to be honest. The county here recently seized 40 horses, people spent a vast amount of time and money getting them to a decent weight then they were auctioned off for a couple hundred bucks each

Half those horses will probably be dead in 2 years, and just about none of them are ever going to become useful riding horses given the folks who bought them. Not to mention that there is a serious hay shortage and money shortage in this rural county right now. They should have saved everyone a lot of time and resources and euthed them at seizure imho.

There are plenty of people making more untrained, unattractive horses out there. We're not going to run out anytime soon.

ETA
    I also will not donate to any rescue who will use funds for an expensive operation for a rescue...
    Me either. I think that is insane.

I support shelters, but shelters are different than rescues. Rescues don't euthanize their animals to make space for more. I worked with a GSD rescue a while back and they never euthanized their dogs, ever.
    Really? I do border collie rescue and we have euthanized unadoptable dogs. What's the alternative? Let that unadoptable dog occupy a foster spot for ten or fifteen years? Then how many perfectly adoptable dogs die because we haven't foster homes for them?

Resources are finite. I don't like it either, but BuddyRoo has it right. The villains here are the folks who either ruin a perfectly good animal and then pawn it off on rescue, or the folks who lack the ovaries to step up and make the tough decisions themselves.

One more thing and then I am done feeding the troll...

If you honestly believe that every horse is wanted and should not be euthanized despite soundness, age, or temperment.... you do it. You open a rescue. You try to solicit the needed donations. You end up taking on a 2nd or even 3rd job all while caring for these animals, just so you can pay the bills. You go through what few apps you get and try to weed out the people who plan on picking them up and making a quick stop at New Holland. You do the training, or hire some one who will take on rank ponies that have tried to kill people (I guarantee those trainers will be few and far between). You do all that, for no pay, and just see how long you can make it like that.

If you wanted to have some credibility, you would have come on and stated your issue and agenda against this particular place. You would not have tried to suck people into what might have been a debate. As it is, you are railing against what most will see to be as one of the good ones. If you want to throw yourself on the ground and have temper tantrums over the care of rescue horses, look up the threads on CBER and that one in Colorado. As it is, you have no argument, and there are enough real rescuers on here that do the grunt work every day that in the end you just look foolish.

It is far easier to sit back and complain about what shouldn't be done then it is to step up to the plate and put your money where your mouth is.

If you feel so strongly about keeping every horse alive no matter what it's life outlook is, then great! Buy a big honkin' piece of land and start adopting!

Your outlook is EXACTLY why I have shied away from starting an official rescue. The last thing any rescue needs is someone second guessing their responsible and caring decisions they make for the animals in their care. NO MATTER WHAT THE DECISION IS.
    -Jessica