The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Treating for Ulcers with Cimetidine (Tagamet)

(Not sure if I've spelled any of it correctly!)

My retired hunter lives on it after a nasty attack that ended with a week at New Bolton.

I recently got an OTTB who seems to have ulcer-like symptoms. Rather than spend the $ on scoping, since I have the stuff already, thought I'd just treat for ulcers and see if I see improvement.

What kind of dosages do you use? I was told 5 morning and night.

This study: http://gastrogard.us.merial.com/pix/...metidineTB.pdf which compared cimetidine to omeprazole, used 20 mg/kg every 8 hours. That is just shy of 11 grams three times a day for a 1200 lbs horse.

[QUOTE

What kind of dosages do you use? I was told 5 morning and night.[/QUOTE]

Thats the dosage my OTTB is on. Feed 5 approx. 10-15 minutes before feed time (when the stomach is the emptiest (LOL ~ mine eats ALL day), I was told to crush, and boy are they hard!, mix with a handful of grain, then feed your grain 10 min. later. I was told he would need to stay on it 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVE*MY*NAGS View Post
    I was told to crush, and boy are they hard!
    A coffee grinder is the best investment ever.

It my understanding that the only thing that heals ulcers is omeprazole.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I use 6 tablets for an average (16+ hand) horse per my vet. What I do is dissolve it in water and then either pour over feed (if horse will eat it) or use dose syringe.

Anytime I see someone treating for ulcers I always recommend this website: http://www.lunatunesfreestyles.com/ulcers.htm It is so informative and tells you exactly what causes ulcers, how to heal them, and how to prevent them from coming back. I have had my guy on her system (tweaked to my own preferences) and he has been amazing! Good luck. Also, if you want to treat with Omeprazole instead (which I used and it was great) then a website to get horse doses for cheap is http://ponymeds.com/ HUGE savings compared to what you will pay anywhere else. They can treat ulcers for about $4 per day.

As another poster stated, the only thing known to heal the ulcers is gastrogard. Expensive but worth it.

For those responding.....you may want to add what mg dose your tablets are as Cimetidine tablets come in 400mg and 800 mg tablets (they may come in other doses as well). So one person's 5 tablets may be a total of 400mg x 5= 2000 mg while another persons may be 800mg x 5= 4000mg.

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomBlues View Post
    Anytime I see someone treating for ulcers I always recommend this website: http://www.lunatunesfreestyles.com/ulcers.htm It is so informative and tells you exactly what causes ulcers, how to heal them, and how to prevent them from coming back. I have had my guy on her system (tweaked to my own preferences) and he has been amazing! Good luck. Also, if you want to treat with Omeprazole instead (which I used and it was great) then a website to get horse doses for cheap is http://ponymeds.com/ HUGE savings compared to what you will pay anywhere else. They can treat ulcers for about $4 per day.
    While I didn't use ponymeds, I did try the compounded omeprazole from myprecisionpharmacy.com. It did nada. Very disappointing.

The Merial products gastrogard and ulcergard contain a buffer to get the medication through the stomach environment. Omeprazole has to get into the bloodstream to do it's magic. Other cheaper formulations do not contain this buffer. It doesn't seem to matter for some horses--some horses seem to do very well on the ponymeds product or the product from myprecisionpharmacy.com--but some horses do not. Of course mine is in the "do not" group. Merial gets an awful lot of my money.

Try this:
    www.ponymeds.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Bullet View Post
    For those responding.....you may want to add what mg dose your tablets are as Cimetidine tablets come in 400mg and 800 mg tablets (they may come in other doses as well). So one person's 5 tablets may be a total of 400mg x 5= 2000 mg while another persons may be 800mg x 5= 4000mg.
    (800 mg) 5 tabs, 2x day

I do have some tubes of gastroguard in case of emergency for my other horse. I just am unsure w/o scoping the new guy if I should use what I have on him or if I should just keep up with the cimetidine and see if I see an improvement.

Reading this thread as I just spoke with my vet about ulcers and he said that although the Cimetidine is the old fashion way....that YES, it does heal ulcers. He also recommended 2xs per day.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Reading this thread as I just spoke with my vet about ulcers and he said that although the Cimetidine is the old fashion way....that YES, it does heal ulcers. He also recommended 2xs per day.
    All studies (with before and after endoscopy) to date show cimetidine and ranitidine (Zantac) do NOT heal ulcers in equines. If your vet has proof cimetidine heals ulcers, ask to see it. Both of the above drugs may relieve symptoms but unfortunately actual healing does not take place. Ditto all generic forms of omeprazole to date.

When I one horse on bute long term, I asked my vet about ulcers and she had me using 4 cimetidine tablets of 800 mg, twice a day to help prevent ulcers. She never mentioned anything about feeding it before graining so I just added the ground up (coffee grinders are great! )tablets to his grain and he ate it. Course he was also on beet pulp so any supplements mixed well into the bp.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    It my understanding that the only thing that heals ulcers is omeprazole.
    I just talked to the vet on the phone yesterday again about my horse's ulcers, and how often I should be giving omeprazole for maintenance. I asked specifically about Cimedidine because I saw it in SmartPak in 800mg. pills.

He told me that Cimedidine has NEVER been shown to be effective in equines against ulcers. In fact, he said he knew of some horses that actually got worse on the drug instead of better.

He said the ONLY way to truly cure ulcers and keep them cured is to amend your feeding program to allow the horse forage 24/7, eliminate or drastically reduce grain and sugars from the diet, and use 1/4 of a tube of Gastrogard before, during, and after any kind of trailering or other stressful event. Also to never pull the horse out of the field or stall and just ride without giving them at least 1 hour in a stall with good hay that they actually EAT first.

The thing that makes me believe him is that this is at an equine specific hospital that specializes in all the difficult pathologies and cutting edge treatments, and not some podunk cow and cat vet.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    All studies (with before and after endoscopy) to date show cimetidine and ranitidine (Zantac) do NOT heal ulcers in equines. If your vet has proof cimetidine heals ulcers, ask to see it. Both of the above drugs may relieve symptoms but unfortunately actual healing does not take place. Ditto all generic forms of omeprazole to date.
    That's exactly what they told me too - that the gastroscope has proven that omeprazole is the ONLY drug on the market that has ACTUALLY healed ulcers.

As an aisde - I had severe heartburn last year and later pain between my shoulder blades and in my left shoulder. Also severe pain anytime my stomach was empty. The doctor told me it was likely ulcers, and put me on Nexium. At that time, he told me that Nexium was the ONLY drug shown to actually CURE the problem. The others just reduce acid and make you feel better, but the ulcerations never go away. I was on Nexium for a few months, and it really worked. I've taken Tagament and Zantac with no effect. The other proton pump inhibiter I've used is Protonix, which is a bit cheaper than Nexium and it works great too.

So for my horse it will be feeding amendments and omeprazole until I am sure without doubt that the other drugs ARE effective. But at this time I'm just not sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomBlues View Post
    The problem I have with that site is that she NEVER had her horse scoped for ulcers, she never knew for SURE if the horse did in fact have ulcers. And, she uses generic, compounded omeprazole shipped in bulk from china with no regulations, and no ecoteric coating to get it through the stomach and into the bloodstream. But she claims it healed her horse and everything is great now.

That's excellent, BUT there is NO PROOF that her horse actually DID have ulcers in the first place, because the horse was never scoped. So recommending people to use an inferior drug because it "healed her horse's ulcers" is faulty because there's no proof the mare actually DID have ulcers.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this entire topic gives me a headache. I'm looking at all the ulcer threads....and I just do not believe my horse has ulcers...she has none of the symptoms other than she gets really gassy off of certain foods. She cannot have Legends, so she gets Progressive Senior....and any hay change...she gets really gassy.

I hate the idea of spending 1000.00 for a treatment on a horse that I just do not think has ulcers. She isn't pissy, she isn't girthy, she isn't loosing weight, she has a good appetite and keeps weight easily.

I think my mare just needs the equine equvilant to GAS X....anyone have thoughts on that one.