The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Have we (USEA) doomed New Orleans again??

Does anyone else find the fact that NoLa is again looking at a Monster Hurricane in the same year that we chose to convention there a bit...interesting??

Maybe we should NEVER plan to have a convention there again.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I have friends there who were planning to leave early this morning. They said its sad as things over the last 6 months were finally starting bounce back. Here is to hoping it misses them!!
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

New Orleans is probably the worst place to have anything. The USEA (and the USEF too) needs to pick logical places to have their conventions instead of tourist destinations.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

FC, That was mentioned in our house last night. So the question could be, where are we meeting this year?

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    New Orleans is probably the worst place to have anything. The USEA (and the USEF too) needs to pick logical places to have their conventions instead of tourist destinations.
    agreed.

I guess they figured the odds of another big storm slamming into New Orleans was pretty low... and probably wanted to give the place some tourist $$

Here's hoping the Gulf Coast (all of it) avoids damage.

I wondered the same thing, FC. Here's hoping for the best for NOLA and the whole Gulf Coast.

The organization I used to work for had its annual convention in New Orleans in 2003. I understand the whole richness in culture thing there, but I do not understand it as a tourist destination. I thought it was extremely dirty and dangerous. I did not feel safe there at all. In our convention materials we actually had to include warnings about the crime and safety tips. The lobby of my hotel directly across from the convention center closed at 9pm and I had to be verified as a customer through the glass door before even being allowed inside. I could go on.

I understand that many people love this city, but I could not wait to get out of there and I can't fathom wanting to go back for any reason, much less having a convention there.
    The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

I was thinking something along those line this morning as I was listening to the news on NPR (don't laugh...I LOVE NPR). They were talking about the evacuation going on already. I thought whether or not we'd actually get to go this year. I'd LOVE to see NOLA, but I wonder if I'll ever get to.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I guess they figured the odds of another big storm slamming into New Orleans was pretty low... and probably wanted to give the place some tourist $$

Here's hoping the Gulf Coast (all of it) avoids damage.
    With that particular area, it's not a matter of if. Only when and how hard. I don't think the USEA/USEF concluded that there wouldn't be a big storm again anytime soon as they don't have the knowledge or foresight to predict the weather. I simply see it as "Oh let's go to New Orleans this year. I'm sure we can get a great deal since they need $$$ and we can get plastered in the French Quarter to boot!"
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I lived in NO, in the French Quarter, in the early 90s. I can assure you the city was a disaster long before any storm hit.

At the time, they were having a 'problem' with serial killers on the police force. There's nothing quite like a serial killer with a legally-issued badge and gun.

Me and my brother were in NO in the mid 70s, got two rental cars stolen, was realy funny, wooped it up and down the French Quarter, even Vet Check clean.
    Rider Responsebility.

But why not have it in Mexico City, that would be realy interesting, know some rather neat spots there, hihihi, and I could go to convention and get my wetback trip done at the same time.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

The same thought occured to me! On a purely selfish note, I really want to go this year as LA & MS are the last two states on my roster for having visited all 50 states. I have a kinda weird fascination with the Mississippi & Missouri Rivers and have traveled much of their lengths and would really like to go the Mississippi delta. I turned 50 this year and thought it would be really cool to finish up my 50 states, do swamp tours of the Mississippi delta, AND go the the annual meeting.

Maybe Gustav will miss NOLA...

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I lived in NO, in the French Quarter, in the early 90s. I can assure you the city was a disaster long before any storm hit.

At the time, they were having a 'problem' with serial killers on the police force. There's nothing quite like a serial killer with a legally-issued badge and gun.
    I lived in New Orleans too, mid to late 90's. At that time, I felt the most disasterous thing about the city was the way political funds were mismanaged thus impeding any kind of advancement. It was depressing.

In the early 90's the NOPD did not have a "problem with serial killers on the force." They had 2 police officers, Len Davis, and Antoinette Frank, indicted (and convicted) on murder charges. Davis ordered the killing of one woman who filed a complaint on him. Frank and her civilian accomplice killed a 2 members of a Vietnamese family at the restaurant they owned, as well as the fellow police officer working special duty there that night during a robbery.

The above do not qualify as serial killings. Davis and Frank are horrible, vicious, sick people, but not serial killers. I am NOT defending either of them, nor am I defending any of Davis's thorough corruptness.

I merely don't think the whole department should be maligned due to inaccurate statements. It takes a long time to rebuild public trust after incidents like that and NOPD has always had a long road to travel.

Horse -related? I really hope everyone was able to evacuate their horses this time too. Those pictures of horses stranded and horse remains were heart-wrenching.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by MiMuneca View Post
    I lived in New Orleans too, mid to late 90's. At that time, I felt the most disasterous thing about the city was the way political funds were mismanaged thus impeding any kind of advancement. It was depressing.

In the early 90's the NOPD did not have a "problem with serial killers on the force." They had 2 police officers, Len Davis, and Antoinette Frank, indicted (and convicted) on murder charges. Davis ordered the killing of one woman who filed a complaint on him. Frank and her civilian accomplice killed a 2 members of a Vietnamese family at the restaurant they owned, as well as the fellow police officer working special duty there that night during a robbery.

The above do not qualify as serial killings. Davis and Frank are horrible, vicious, sick people, but not serial killers. I am NOT defending either of them, nor am I defending any of Davis's thorough corruptness.

I merely don't think the whole department should be maligned due to inaccurate statements. It takes a long time to rebuild public trust after incidents like that and NOPD has always had a long road to travel.
    I'm not maligning the whole department, although it would be difficult not to.

I had a lot of PD contact for my job and knew a number of local officials, as well as an attorney who took on police brutality cases. There were the Davis and Frank incidents, there were also some other investigations going on within the PD and there were a number of unsolved killings that were being attributed to someone with police knowledge.

The New York Times recapped some of the highlights in 1995 here.

In the past 18 months, four New Orleans police officers have been charged with murder. Federal officials estimate that 10 to 15 percent of the force, which has about 1,350 members, has engaged in criminal behavior. Dozens of officers have been arrested on felony charges over the past two years. For most of the past 20 years New Orleans has been the national champion in complaints of police brutality. The complaints have routinely been dismissed as being without merit.
    Among the group I was working with, we had numerous muggings (at gunpoint and knifepoint), a few beatings, car break-ins, home burglaries, several people jumped/beaten by the police and taken to the drunk tank, including one guy who hadn't had a drink in 8 years who was walking to his car when two cops jumped him and threw him into the back of a van. The worst I experienced was three people fighting over a loaded gun in a bar. One of the guys was trying to shoot one of the other guys or so he was saying. The other bar patrons calmly pushed the trio out the door and they continued down the street, fighting over the gun. The bar patrons continued on as if nothing happened, at some point we heard a shot but it didn't sound like anyone got hurt.

And then there was that one sunny morning when we arrived at our work space to find a dead body lying in front of the gate. Obviously, someone had dumped it there. We called 911 and they said since it was a dead body, it wasn't an emergency. Then we called the PD who said they'd pick up the body when they got around to it. ETA was 12 hours. When we asked if they could come earlier so we could get in to our building -- we weren't going to touch the body -- they suggested we move it to the side or 'just drive around it'.

And yes, I knew some really nice, conscientious detectives on the PD but they knew their limits. There were questions you didn't ask and places you didn't go and crimes that weren't meant to be solved.

My job too had a lot of police contact. I can understand your statement that it would be difficult not to malign the whole department, especially through the early 90's when PD's hiring standards were so lax. I was unaware of the other 2 officers who had been charged with murder, but the 10-15 % stat engaged in criminal behavior that the NYT reported does not surprise me. However, I know a lot of good, honest, hard working people on PD and things improved greatly around the time I lived there.
    I don't know how it is now post Katrina and also a lot of people started leaving the department in early 2000's.
    But they do have wonderful draft crosses in their Mounted Unit.

MM

I have lived in New Orleans and have family there today. My parents grew up there and I love the city. It is a great place to visit/live and to do the tourist thing. I know that there are issues at various times, but I believe there are issues in any large city.. anyone remember NY? When Times Square was a nightmare and no one would go there for fear of their lives? Well they turned it around and the good people of New Orleans will too if you give it opportunity. I consider NOLA a second home and clearly don't have the same view that you all do, perhaps I just know the real New Orleans..
    Horsemanship and the partnership, learn it, talk it, admire it, pass it on!
    "The Pony" Theodore O'Connor 1995-2008