The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Two young cats (10-11 months) looking for home together (Balto. MD)

*** See most recent post for update on these two, who were originally posted here -- and rehomed! -- as kittens, but now need rehoming again. ***

Waverly and Hampden are two little feral kittens, about 9-10 weeks old, who were trapped by Animal Control at an elementary school on the west side of Baltimore, and taken to the city animal shelter. Someone from the shelter called a feral cat group to see if anyone would foster and socialize the kittens... yours truly got drafted. I've had them about 2 weeks.

They actually became totally friendly very quickly -- they can be picked up and held, carried around, etc. They are a little shy, though, and are still learning to trust. They would probably do best in a reasonably quiet home where they can continue gaining good experiences and confidence. But they are very affectionate, and spent most of the afternoon in my lap on the couch watching season 5 of The Wire on DVD.

Waverly is a longhaired female, and just beyond precious -- she is gray with white and has big expressive eyes. Hampden is a shorthaired male who has really odd coloring... he is all white, except for his ears, tail, and one circular spot on his side, all of which are brown tabby. Both kittens have been fixed, have their first vaccinations, got Frontlined and dewormed, and are negative for feline leukemia. They were fixed at a feral cat s/n clinic, so their left ears were also "tipped." Thus they will be able to maintain their tough B-more street cred into adulthood.

They are presumably siblings, and are very bonded to each other, so I'd like them to stay together.

I really want to find the "right" home for them, not just "a" home, so I'm going to be pretty fussy about where they go. I'm willing to deliver them anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Baltimore. Pictures are below!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/...441e30cd95.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3030/...5832ef7f91.jpg
    Last edited by Erin; Apr. 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

A little bump for the back to work crowd!

Smile BUMP!

Bumpitty bump ... bump ... bump ...

Yours in sport,

Lynn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Original Poster

Another bump to add a photo of the amazing two-headed kitteh...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/...60ea5c73e4.jpg

(you can see why I want to find them a home together!)

They're both doing really well, play well with other cats, use the litter box, and are just as sweet as can be. They're actually pretty well behaved too, as far as kittens go... they wreak a bit of havoc, but not nearly as bad as some I've had!

How do they do with dogs and children?

Original Poster

Well, I have neither, so I can't say for sure.

I'm sure they would be fine with a cat-friendly dog after an initial period of puffed-up hissing. Most kittens figure dogs out pretty quickly. If the dog hasn't been around cats before, though, they would need to be slowly and carefully introduced so the dog doesn't chase them if they run.

As for kids, I think they'd be OK with older kids who aren't too grabby... they are a bit on the shy side, so the kids would have to be old enough to understand that. Definitely not a good match for toddlers, though.

AWWWWWWWWWWW.

Erin, how do you not have 34,086 cats? You always have these totally adorable kittens and grown up kitties and I would just NOT be able to let them go if I were in your shoes.

Original Poster

Oh, lcw, if these two don't sound like a good match, I just got another one a couple of days ago -- he hasn't been vetted yet, so I haven't posted him here, but he loves EVERYBODY! And I also know someone else who picked up a calico kitten yesterday who is totally in love with her pitbull. So we have a selection to choose from here in Charm City! A pic of my newest kitten is below. (No name yet, but he's a boy.)

Simkie, it's a test in will power. Fortunately I've been lucky and have found great homes for all of them (mostly through COTH!) so that makes it easier!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/...af0d9ed60d.jpg

I will be in Virginia in early October, and will make my usual offer to meet up with Erin and transport any of these kittens to the Southern Tier, Rochester area.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Erin, will any of the kittens be at Fair Hill on Saturday? My daughter is competing and DH is going to bring the other 2 (no toddlers ) down to watch. Kitten is for the middle one who gets to choose. She likes the look of the orange kitty but we need a spunky one who will do well with 2 dogs and 2 older cats.

Original Poster

The orange one drove all the way to Kentucky and back with me this week, because I was worried he'd be too lonely stuck here in a crate by himself. He basically slept in my lap the whole drive! He is super sweet and affectionate -- can be a little bit shy in new situations, but adapts quickly. He met a cat friendly dog and was suspicious at first, but not totally freaked out. I haven't let him meet any kitties yet though because he hasn't been FELV tested -- I've got an appt for him to be fixed/tested at the MD SPCA on Monday.

I would offer to drive him up to Fair Hill for you to meet, but the transfer case just went out on my truck (fortunately it got me home from Ky first!) and I'm not sure if I'll have wheels by Saturday or not.

I've got some more pictures of him that I haven't downloaded off my camera yet, but I'll do that tomorrow and send you a link.

Original Poster

lcw, I sent you a PM.

Here are a couple more pics of Waverly and Hampden. They've got the run of the place now, and get along well with the other cats, use the litter box, etc. They even sneaked up on my bed last night. They are super-nice kittens and just too stinkin' cute for words! Hammie is kind of in an awkward stage, but I think he's going to be a stunning cat when he grows up, and Waverly is just picture-perfect. She's like every cute kitten greeting card you've ever seen come to life. Someone needs this extra-cute duo!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/...178458fe6b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/...e9e5de5a5e.jpg

Original Poster

Another wee bump! I really adore these little guys... they're so sweet and SO cute!

Original Poster

Waverly and Hampden went to their new home with a friend-of-a-COTHer today, and I think the little orange guy will be on his way to lgw shortly. YAY for homes for sweet kittens!

Original Poster

Bumping this up for a sad update... Waverly and Hampden had found a home together, but because their little girl developed really bad asthma, they have come back to me and need to find a home again.

They are, understandably, a little traumatized right now. They were shy cats to start with (especially Hammie), so this is all very confusing to them. I currently have them in a crate so they can get used to me again before I let them out to roam. I've also acquired a dog since they were here last, so I'm sure that's going to be a big surprise to them!

I really want them to find a home together. They've had enough upheaval, and don't need to be separated on top of everything else.

They need a relatively quiet home -- they'd likely do best with a single person or couple with no kids -- and will probably require a little bit of work in the beginning to get them to trust a new person. Waverly is pretty good, but Hammie is more shy and will take some more effort to bring around.

They aren't even a year old yet, so still very playful and lots of fun, and they usually get along well with other cats.

Here are a few updated photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/...63ca9fa111.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/...ef48f5423c.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/...cf22a6a852.jpg

Still plenty cute, even all growed up!

Original Poster

Another bump for Waverly and Hammie.

Waverly is an absolute love. She likes to curl up on my pillow and sleep snuggled up to my neck at night, and will cuddle with you pretty much anytime, anywhere. She's always appearing magically at my feet out of nowhere, and then when you pet her, she flops over on her back to show you her belly. Weird little kitty.

Hammie has settled in well, but is a bit standoffish still. He seems conflicted... he'll come up and meow at me, and I'll pet him for a bit, then he'll scoot off... then he'll meow and come back for more petting. He's also deferential to the other cats, so tends to be at "the back of the line" for attention. I think in a home with fewer pets, he'd be a lot more assertive about asking for petting.

Both of them are now quite fond of my Lab. They get along very well with other cats. They'll definitely be shy at first, but Waverly is easy to win over and Hammie follows her lead, so they just need a relatively quiet home and someone who can be a little bit patient with them. They're both loving, nice cats... and definitely unique-looking! Not your run-of-the-mill tabbies, that's for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	24787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	24788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	24789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	24790  

I can transport kitties from Erin to anyone in the Southeastern VA/NC area, should an adopter want them in that area.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

It may be a little too far in the future, but, I will be in Virginia again the beginning part of June and would be glad to transport anywhere along the Route 15 corridor up to Rochester, NY.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Original Poster

Giving these guys another bump. They are sweet as can be -- just need the right home!