The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Rough Day At Warrenton

Today was just a rough day. Everything was great until we left this morning. About two miles down the road, I felt something coming from the trailer. When we stopped, we found the horse in the first stall was now in with my broodmare and foal. She had either fallen (on a straight road) or climbed under the divider of our slant-load trailer. She then freaked out with the tight quarters and started kicking my weanling colt. My husband tried to get the colt off and the 2yo kicked him in the arm. We got everyone off the trailer and although the colt had some skin tears, he seemed OK so we continued on to the show. Once there, he looked pretty beat-up, but was sound.

Then, my broodmare was last out of three. The other two mares didn't have foals at their side and although my mare was in great weight, she still looked like a broodmare (she's already back in-foal). My poor, beat-up colt was third out of six, which was great considering how bad he looked! So I’m not at all going to complain about the ribbons.

When we pulled the 2yo off to show her, we ended up having to scratch. She was all cut-up and didn't jog sound. Everything seems to be very superficial and we believe her cuts came from kicking the trailer. The bedding was very deep and there was no blood on any shavings under the divider.

At least no one was seriously hurt, but geez, talk about horses being horses.
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Oh I am SO sorry ... but so glad that a) you had someone on board to help in a crisis situation and b) that everything appears to be superficial only

It was ONLY a show (but a B-I-G!!! one at that ... ) and there will be others, but I'm glad that the horses are just a little battered and bruised but nothing more serious than that ...

Yikes. Glad it wasn't worse.

Good Heavens! How terrifying that must have been! I'm so sorry your horse is hurt and lame. It sounds like it could have been much worse though.

Horses eh? Sorry your horse is sore. So glad it wasn't worse!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Here are some pictures of the boy from today.

Tonight he is sore, but I think in a few days, he'll be good to go. I was really looking forward to Warrenton since we had to miss Upperville, but these things happen and at least he's OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilvationChip.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	22427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilvationHead.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	22428  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

LM - Wow, what a bad day you had. I hope you and your horses have a better one tomorrow!

What a handsome boy!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Rachael,

I am so sorry I was not able to come and see him show. I am glad they are all ok! I was busy doctoring my yearling. When I arrived on Sat. morning, his right eye was swollen shut...he must have had an allergic reaction to something in the bedding, so I was busy placing ice on it so he could go into his class. He ended up showing with a swollen eye, but at least by the time his class started it was much better. Congratulations on your win.

Jeesh!! I'm glad they're all okay, and that things ended up going alright (considering), but what a tough day! I'm so sorry!

How about your husband? Is he okay?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Wow, talk about lucky when unlucky! It sounds like that could have been a monumental disaster! I am glad to hear your horses are okay. How is your husband? So lucky you were not by yourself!

DH is OK. There were five of us pulling the horses off the trailer. I'm not sure what I would have done if I was by myself. I really feel like I had someone watching over us yesterday.

Smile

I am so glad that you and your horses are ok. I would have been hauled off the the psycho ward for about the 10th time in my life!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBalls View Post
    I am so glad that you and your horses are ok. I would have been hauled off the the psycho ward for about the 10th time in my life!
    I have a friend that would occasionally go to the "floor". Whenever people would ask where she was, I would always say "she's on vacation". That sounds a little bit better than "so and so is in the crazy bin again".

I just drink. That keeps me from going on vacations.