The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggestions for TB mare

I am thinking of breeding my mare and would be interested in suggestions of stallions that would compliment her, and hopefully compensate for her shortcomings. Conformationally, she is long backed and somewhat weak behind, so a stallion that tends to throw a powerful ‘engine’ would be necessary.

My goal is to breed an ammy-friendly, lower level (4’3 max) jumper for my own use (although if it turned out to be a hunter that’d be fine too).

My trainer is a fan of Indoctro, but I have also heard good things about Iroko, Cobra, Alme, and Cabardino, among many others.

I want to breed this mare based on her performance record and her temperament. She showed successfully in the hunters up to 3’9 (multiple zone awards and championships). This year we are trying the jumpers, so we’re showing in the 1.15m division with some success (the mare has the scope to go higher, but I’m just learning the ropes, so I am the limiting factor at this point).

Temperament-wise, she’s the perfect ammy horse (as are all her siblings)….she’s been bombproof since day 1, never gets flustered, covers for all my mistakes, no spook, jumps anything/from anywhere, shows in a plain snaffle, needed no ‘prep’ for the hunter ring, and is brave, kind, and honest to a fault.

Here are some pictures. She’s 9 years old, 16.1hh, full TB (by a sporthorse sire, not race bred). Any suggestions you can offer would be appreciated. Criteria are the powerful 'engine', not too big (under 16.3hh), ammy-friendly, and preferably a more 'refined' type. Thanks!

Conformation shot Excuse the winter woolies
    Jumping pic 1
    Jumping pic 2
    Jumping pic 3
    Cantering
    Trotting

I really like her and jumps fabulous!! I would love to know her breeding.

However I have a TB mare that I was looking for the same things and I picked:

More Than Luck

however it was a tie with ROC USA whom I plan to breed to in 2010.

Another one with nice TB and WB lines is Lotus T.

Couple others I love but not ready to breed my WB mare yet:

Campesino
    Cascani
    Landkoenig
    Quinar
    Ariadus
    Torino
    Cielo B
    Ikoon

Those above are all fresh semen which I personally would recommend for a maiden. However if you a great repro vet one of my fav's isfrozen semen only)

Contendro I

GOOD LUCK she is LOVELY!!

She's lovely - I'd go with Pablo or Ariadus.

I can't wait to jump my Cielo B daughter out of a TB Mare. She has quite the little engine there, and very uphill. Great temperment with just enough spunk.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Default just want to say

that's a gorgeous mare you have. looking forward to the baby pix!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Ironman

Pretty mare BTW

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I like her and I like the fact that she is slow to grey out! Her color is fantastic! That aside, some of the Silver Creek boys would fit the bill and for jumpers, IMO, you can't go wrong with a Holsteiner. Vallado and Apiro seem like a good match. I am not a jumper rider, but I am familiar with seeking out stallions with strong loin connections and good engines. I wish I could be more help in the jumper arena.

http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.com/index.htm
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

One of the best stallions you'll ever find for a tb mare if you're trying to breed a jumper, is Kannan (Voltaire x Nimmerdor x Le Mexico). He gives a great mouth and ridability, super movement and huge scope. He will be one of the true greats in the next three or four years, and it will give you something sellable should you need. Kannan also fulfills your "wants" list.

Hi semen is frozen, but superb quality and already in the US.

Here's his link: http://www.frenchstallions.org

Looking at your mare, I think you'll produce something like the grey horse in the video on Kannan's page, who won the six year old World Championships.

Thank you everyone! I just spent the last couple of hours looking at your stallion suggestions. What a gorgeous bunch.

Kannan is absolutely incredible....love him, love his pedigree, love his offsrping. I would worry that he might throw more horse than I can handle...does anyone know if his babies could be classified as amateur rides? His stud fee is quite steep ($3700 CDN), but he looks to be worth every penny.

I am going to see about getting videos on some of the others. I have heard good things about Pablo (I had been thinking the Pilot line might be a good match), Ironman, and More Than Luck, plus ROC USA has a great pedigree and seems to cross well with TB mares.

Does anyone know if there are any online videos of Apiro (mmmm....Argentinus), Cielo B, Lotus T and Ariadus? I'm not as familiar with these boys.

Thanks again for your help.

There are several online videos of Cielo B -you can see them here: http://www.risingstarfarm.net/Stallion.htm

He'll also be at Kentucky National for the YJC at the end of September if you are in the area.

Please contact me if you have any questions!

Good luck with your search :-)

Here are links - all the SO's are wonderful and will send you video.

Lotus T - http://www.prairiepinesfarm.com/LotusT.asp

Apiro - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.com/ - There is online video of him. A lovely boy.

Ariadus - http://www.foxfirefarm.us/

From what I have heard about Kannan you should be fine - I dont think he would give you more horse than you can ride - I have heard he throws high ridabilty.

Rideability is what he's famed for.

BTW, the price may seem high, but when you compare it to your other costs over the next five/six years, it pales into insignificance. Trust me.

Although I love Apiro, he is not short-backed, I think Vallado would be a lovely cross. six# has a stunning colt by him this year

He is also Pilot on the bottom. Here are the video clips. He was in the ring with Cabardino, Renaissance (#1 Working Hunter), and Contender (#2 Working Hunter). Keep in mind that he was green. He did a couple of shows at lower heights to see flowers, boxes, etc. and to try to figure out the whole hunter thing, but he pretty much went straight to the working hunters. He is super easy and very quiet. He has a great hindend and is very powerful, but he is not a refinement sire. He does add size to his foals, especially substance. He is a rectangular framed horse and is nicely balanced. While he may not shorten a back, he typically strengthens the topline.

O/F - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...o/ApiroSL2.wmv

O/F - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...roGPHunter.wmv

Hack - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co.../ApiroHack.wmv

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any online videos of Apiro (mmmm....Argentinus
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

With Vallado, you will get something a bit more Thoroughbredy in type. Vallado is very short backed and has a lovely mind. He always gives 100%. He is a quiet horse, but a more sensitive and forward horse. He does not have the trot to place in the hacks (too much knee), but he does have the jump.

First year green hunters - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...ladoHunter.wmv

Level 6 jumpers - http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...allado130m.wmv

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Although I love Apiro, he is not short-backed, I think Vallado would be a lovely cross. six# has a stunning colt by him this year
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Default Apiro

SJ66--Love, love, love his ears! What a cutie.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Churchill