The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pitbull "Dump Dog" (in TX) - Needs Home

Another pitbull in need of a home. What is wrong with people???

"Ziggy" as we have come to call him, was dumped on our street about a month ago. He survived the first week on his own in 100+ weather. We know he had been on the street for a week because several people reported seeing him. He found us when Mr. WOF and I were out walking our dog (also a pitbull). He came right up to me and licked my hand. He was starving (all of his ribs and hips sticking out) and covered in mange...I would say he had about 40% of his coat and the rest of him was bald or covered in scabs.

I am pregnant and already have three horses, two donkeys, two dogs and four cats. The last thing we need right now is another mouth to feed. BUT, Ziggy followed us home and we couldn't take him to animal control because he would be put down right away. We have contacted every rescue I can find with no luck.

We took him to the vet and had him vaccinated and have been giving him his mange treatments. The mange is gone and the hair is growing back in (probably about 60% of the way grown in now). His scabs have cleared up and he's looking more and more beautiful every day! He'll be getting neutured in the next week or so.

He desperately needs a home!!

Here is what we know about him:

He is very gentle and loving with people. I don't have kids (yet!) so I don't know how he would react to them, but so far he is a total people dog and hasnt shown any aggression. I can take his food bowl away from his while he's eating (and he likes to eat!) and the vet commented on how easygoing he is as he was doing an oral exam on him.

So far, he has been great with my dogs. They are both female, but he tries to play with the neighbor's male dog as well. One of my dogs has growled and snapped at him when he gets too rough and he backs off (for those of you who are pitbull people, you know that they don't always do that!). So, I am hopeful that he could join a family with other dogs and do very well.

He is great on a leash. He's easy to walk and loves to get out!

He CANNOT BE AROUND CATS!!!!! He chases them. Not sure what he'd do if he actually got one, but I don't want to find out!

He is currently in a small run next to my horse's pasture and he barks at them (OK, one of them comes up and sticks his nose in the run and deserves to be barked at!). But, when he is on the leash and around the horses he doesn't (although he is still interested in them). Not sure how he would do loose around horses, although he was loose around horses and cows for at least a week before we found him.

Please email me at wildoaksfarm@gmail.com for pictures. Ziggy needs a loving, forever home!!

Your killin' me smalls!!! I would LOVE to take him, however, I can't. But I will spread the word.
    To ride or not to ride; what a stupid question!

I would appreciate it! Hopefully someone out there will want Ziggy!

Bumping this up for Ziggy. He is such a good boy!

Another bump for Ziggy, whose coat is grown in (except for a few small spots that were especially scabbed over, and those are growing in too). Now that he has hair we can see a pretty little white patch on his chest!

He weighs about 70 pounds and might have 2-3 more to go as he gets some muscle.

He is getting neutured next week and will be ready for his new home on September 16th.