The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeder's Cup Fashion!

I had to ask...

I'm lucky enough to be going to the BC this year at Santa Anita for my birthday, and was wondering what I should wear. Obviously this a huge day of racing so I'm assuming that my usual track wear won't do. However, I'm not one to dress up, so I don't want to overdo it! I figured I'd wear a simple black dress, some cute but comfortable flats (for all the walking between the clubhouse and paddock!) and maybe a low-key hat. Sound good?

Is anyone else going? I'm so excited and it'll be so cool to experience the best of the best at my home track.

Sounds about similar to what I will wear. BUT it will likely be dress pants. And tall boots with heels. No hat. Depends on the weather.

You can wear a dress if you want to but most women won't be in dresses. You will also see virtually zero hats but enough of them that you wouldn't feel totally stupid if you do wear one. Its more casual than the TC for the most part but nicer than jeans or shorts of a normal race day. Whatever you are in the mood for will be fine.

It IS Los Angeles, Laurie. People will be dressed and dressed well... and plastic. Lips, botox, boobs... you know

Good to know. I will definitely not be wearing a hat then! Thanks for the tips!

It depends upon where your seats are. I was at the BC at Santa Anita. It wasn't a glamour fest by any stretch of the imagination and we had nice seats. I had two extra tickets that I couldn't give away out front, ended up throwing them in the garbage that night.

when was that BC at SA... times have changed during the years gone by. Dress up, enjoy and look me up.. I will be dressed up as per usual. Even on a Wednesday I dress. Big days are even more important, You only get one chance to make a great impression. BUT no, it's not like Keeneland, Though I wore the same clothes there as I do here.

I figured that on one hand, it's LA, which is known for being laid back. But people here still will get dressed up for the littlest of events, so I figure that there will be a mix. My dress is pretty simple and not too fancy, so I think that it'll be ok.

Sometimes I honestly wish I were a man. They don't have the same troubles of stressing over an outfit. They pretty much just have to throw on a coat and tie and they're good to go.

To keep it horse related, here's a list of contenders and preps for the G1 Classic.

Jumper, also, be early. Traffic will be a nightmare as per usual on big days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiniko View Post
    Jumper, also, be early. Traffic will be a nightmare as per usual on big days.
    Yeah, we'll probably leave my house by 6 We also have to stake out some seats since we have clubhouse tickets instead of reserved grandstand seats.

golfer2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *jumper* View Post
    I had to ask...

I'm lucky enough to be going to the BC this year at Santa Anita for my birthday, and was wondering what I should wear. Obviously this a huge day of racing so I'm assuming that my usual track wear won't do. However, I'm not one to dress up, so I don't want to overdo it! I figured I'd wear a simple black dress, some cute but comfortable flats (for all the walking between the clubhouse and paddock!) and maybe a low-key hat. Sound good?

Is anyone else going? I'm so excited and it'll be so cool to experience the best of the best at my home track.
    Hello,

My husband and I will be attending the race as well. I'm really excited. As your concern, I'm really nervous about wearing the right attire for this event. God know we paid a fortune for these tickets so I can only assume it would be a dressy event. Have you figured out what to wear???

Quote Originally Posted by golfer2 View Post
    Hello,

My husband and I will be attending the race as well. I'm really excited. As your concern, I'm really nervous about wearing the right attire for this event. God know we paid a fortune for these tickets so I can only assume it would be a dressy event. Have you figured out what to wear???
    Probably a simple black strapless dress, sweater or coat (depending on the weather!) and flats. No hat I figure that it's such a huge thing, there will be people dressed up, and definitely the few ladies who like to go all the way!

I'd say see you there, but I have a feeling it'll be pretty crazy

Well, I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt, but I do a lot of running between paddock and seats. Don't remember if their is a clubhouse dress code at SA, though. But casual and comfortable is best, if you want to see the horses.