The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone here at Emerald Downs?

I'm trying to find out what has happened to the first foal of one of my broodmares - had a couple of watches on him with DRF, and he just quit showing up.
    Always Gold was in trainer Robert Baze's string. Recently changed owners. Don't know who the current owner is/was; he was evidently claimed earlier this year from the couple who bought him as a weanling.

PM would be most appreciated if anyone here can enlighten me. He's a big good looking chestnut gelding, and the only one of her foals we have not owned.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Default for Emerald Down's people

Check out the folks at the fan forum here........

http://www.emeraldracing.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

thanks, I'll check it out.
    Homesick Angels Farm

I will be at Emerald Labor Day weekend, if you don't hear anything by the 28th bump this thread up and I will ask Robbie about him for you.

Thanks for that kindness, Jennywho. I hope the horse has just retired (he was not running well the last few outs, though had some nice wins earlier) and nothing bad has happened to him.
    His dam is a stunning mare, and a wonderful producer for us. He's her only foal to race. I'd hate to think that one of hers came to a bad end, but would like to know either way. I really hate losing track of a horse, though I do have a few I can no longer find.

Kate
    Homesick Angels Farm

Wow - I was just coming over to racing to post this exact thread only for different reasons. I bought a horse from Sharon Ross a few years ago and I'd like to get in touch w/ her to let her know how he's doing. Wondered if anyone might know her.

Sharon would absolutely LOVE to hear from you. She really cares about her horses. I bought a mare off her as a broodmare seven years ago (run of the mill, nothing spectacular as far as a racehorse went - of course I loved the mare to pieces). Every single time I see Sharon she asks about Folly. I am dreading seeing her next because I have to tell her we had to put Folly down.

Sharon is an absolute class act and would love to hear an update. If you PM me your horses name I will gladly pass the info along.

Jennywho - pm sent. Thank you so much.

Sharon is definitely the best.

Jennywho, do you know if Kathy Walsh is still training?

She was the trainer of our mare (whose son I am looking for, see original post) when she was "retired" down at Santa Anita - from the scars it must have been a whale of a wreck. I would love to know what happened, and so would our vet! I figure the trainer at the time would be my best bet for getting the real story.

Hope you get the chance to chat with Robbie this weekend - and hope the weather subsides to have a NICE weekend!
    Homesick Angels Farm

Kathy Walsh trains in Southern California. (She has Georgie Boy, a former KY Derby contender.)

My suggestion would be to look for Always Gold at Portland Meadows or up at Hastings Park in a few weeks. Lots of trainers right now are resting their horses who've trained (read: gotten sore) all year at EMD.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Always Gold was running at PM before he shipped to EMD - and back then (early this year) he was running very well, moving up in class and kicking some butt. Then he got claimed - at least, ownership listing changed, so I am assuming he'd been claimed - and moved up to EMD when the season started, and he began to not do so well - running every third week like clockwork and getting less and less good. That's a pattern I hate seeing.

As I said in the OP, I have a DRF watch on him, and there have not been any works, nothing, since end of June - therefore my unease. Hoping that the news is not bad. Laying off for some grass and rest sounds like a good thing at this point, if someone would do it for him. His mama is a favorite of ours, his full sister is a stunning young mare, and he is the one I can't quite catch up to.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep watching.
    Homesick Angels Farm

Default Bump.... Jennywho?

Jennywho, were you able to get in touch with trainer Robbie Baze to ask if this horse (Always Gold) is still with us?
    Homesick Angels Farm

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I had to scratch my filly at the last minute so I didn't get any one on one time with buyers (Robbie) and only saw him from afar once. I will be at EMD in the next couple of weeks in the AM and will make sure to stop by his barn.

I did talk with Sharon and she was delighted for the update.

Thanks jennywho!

Default a BIG thanks to Jennywho

I was able to get hold of Robbie Baze - made the dreaded cold call....

He was cordial, then warmed up considerably when I said I had Always Gold's mama. The horse had been laid off for a couple of months of pasture rest, as the Emerald Downs surface did not agree with him. He is being legged up again and will resume racing after the stable moves down to Portland. Robbie also said the horse is rock solid, and just a real nice horse to train.

So, that made my whole day - and was able to tell my pretty mare that her firstborn is doing just fine, thank you!

Bless you Jennywho.

Kate
    Homesick Angels Farm