The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Personally I don't think "drug free" is humane. Don't you take a rolaids if you have heartburn? Or an Advil if a little sore? Can you change your lifestyle or job such that you never have stress, or soreness, or aches? If you can then lucky you. But most us can't. and that is the same with Performance horses..so why not try and make them more comfortable.

There was a time way back when (shortly after glaciers covered the earth) that the desert circuits did not exist. Horses got months of down time. As for drugging, a lot of gorgeous OTTB showed on incredible cocktails. Standard NSAID was 10/10 (10cc bute 10cc banamine). Sometimes more. Would anyone have a link to the reserpine at Devon drug raid. Must have been hilarious.

Who ever mentioned weeks at a time? I said that shows begin on tuesday, I said nothing about consecutive weeks. I don't think anyone else did either?
    -Grace

City of delusion in the state of total denial

That's not exactly how it works. If you have been using a prohibited medication for a therapeutic reason you must still take the horse off of it 24 hours before it competes. You cannot show while still giving the drug.
    You must file a medication report with the steward at the first available opportunity: ie, as soon as you are at the show and the steward is on duty. If the horse is tested before you file the paperwork you are out of luck.
    All of the information is in the medication booklet:
    Thanks for the education! I've been having problems loading the USEF .pdfs on this connection, so didn't get to check it myself.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Dinah-do View Post
    There was a time way back when (shortly after glaciers covered the earth) that the desert circuits did not exist. Horses got months of down time. As for drugging, a lot of gorgeous OTTB showed on incredible cocktails. Standard NSAID was 10/10 (10cc bute 10cc banamine). Sometimes more. Would anyone have a link to the reserpine at Devon drug raid. Must have been hilarious.
    Guess the glacial period timeline is a relative thing, because Banamine idn't even appear until late 1977...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Stand corrected on banamine time line. Early eighties when my vet was doing show horses.

It isn't necessary to be on the road for weeks at a time. It may have to be like that for your trainer.
    Personally, I'm never on the road for more than three weeks at a time, and neither is my trainer. For the FL circuit we rent off grounds stalls and paddocks because it's better for the horses, and believe me, that's an extra $15k that I would love to hang onto if I didn't think paddocks and bigger stalls were so important. But even though I think our management and schedule are better than average, I still feel like the show conditions usually warrant some form of medication if you want the horse to be at its best.
    It's fun for you.
    If you say so. I usually come home in much worse shape than the horses . Backsore, footsore, and at least 5 lbs lighter. And I usually take an advil at the beginning and end of each lovely 15 hour show day.

Quote Originally Posted by whbar158 View Post
    I agree that I think this was a thread about legal drugs to give, ie legal amounts of pain killers, depo, etc and why, so it maybe be things your horse has at home too, ie legends and other joint injections to make them feel their best and perform their best. Not what do people give their horses bending the rules etc...
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with giving the horses a little pain killer at the end of the day at the horse show, they have usually been worked hard and had to stand in their stall a lot, its not like my horse is lame or serviceability sound and I am trying to cover it up.
    I will sometimes use a legal amount of methocarbomol (a muscle relaxer) for my horse the night before as he tends to be a little stiff in the back and this loosens him up. Other than that he gets alfalfa/grass and whatever treats all the kids at the barn give him. (I'm told his barn name when I'm not there is "The Cookie Monster")
    Tracy

Re: the good old days.

My boss is 67 years old, and he likes to chuckle and point out the many pros around the circuit who used to be top hunter riders -- UNTIL drug testing was instituted, at which point they fell off the riding map.

I realize that "it's always been done" doesn't make it right. But I don't think that some anti-inflammatories and joint supplements are wrong, either.

The goal is, ideally, not to mask lameness. Rather, it is to get the horse feeling as good as he can in order to perform his very best. Obviously there are those who bend or break the rules. But I also believe that those who stay within them are doing more good for the horses than harm.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post
    Well aren't you a creepy little troll. Help each other understand some of the ways BNT's do things that we don't know about??!! If we don't know about what they do then we'd just be making stuff up - right? If we don't know what they do maybe we should be communicating better with our trainers instead of trying to create drama on the internet, don't you think?
    Hold your fire! Take a chill pill please. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not looking to make things up or trash any trainers. Far from it. My intent was to talk amongst ourselves about which medications or treatments seem to help our equine friends to feel and perform better when showing. We all know that many, if not most, horses are medicated with something when showing. I'm not asking about the legalities. I'm asking what are we aware of that helps. We can learn a lot from each other by sharing info. Maybe you found that Dex (12 hrs out) helped your horse because _________. Anything wrong with sharing that?

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Hold your fire! Take a chill pill please. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not looking to make things up or trash any trainers. Far from it. My intent was to talk amongst ourselves about which medications or treatments seem to help our equine friends to feel and perform better when showing. We all know that many, if not most, horses are medicated with something when showing. I'm not asking about the legalities. I'm asking what are we aware of that helps. We can learn a lot from each other by sharing info. Maybe you found that Dex (12 hrs out) helped your horse because _________. Anything wrong with sharing that?
    Honestly I would hope that nobody here is going to take the word of an anonymous person on a forum that something like dex should be used. That is what vets are for, possibly with some input from your trainer. I don't think that many trainers or horse owners know how bad some of these drugs are over the long term. In fact, I would argue that, if you have to ask "What meds does your horse show on" on a BB, that you probably should not be administering any of those meds. And no, I do not have a problem with people administering legal medications, but I do think you need to know what you're doing, not just hit them with dex or bute or anything else based on this thread...