The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Against all Odds View Post
    Smiles, I'd like to know some of these barns who apparently drug all of there horses for shows without anyone knowing. If they are BNT's like you say then they are likely at very large shows with drug use rules and drug testers, so it is highly unlikely that they are just injecting all of there horses for the h*ll of it and not getting caught. Also, someone is paying the bills for these so called injections and unless you are completely clueless you are going to notice that you are getting charged for the stuff.
    Not all medications are illegal...
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I showed my mare once on Pergolide before I realized it was on the list of banned substances -- Felt awful afterwards when I found out -- I would never have been able to make it up to my trainer if my mare had been tested --

My vet was always good about warning me if a drug she prescribed was not legal in the show ring, so I didn't think to ask her junior associate when she prescribed the Pergolide -- I'll never make that mistake again -- Honestly, when the vet prescribed the drug, we were all concerned that my mare was losing her battle with founder, and I don't think any of us expected her to be sound again, much less show over fences -- I probably would have thought the vet was crazy for even thinking about showing my mare again if she had mentioned that Pergolide was on the list --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Well......I do have the list of banned supbstances, and am keenly aware of the limitations. I just thougth maybe under the guise of this forum some might be able to give us an idea of what meds their horse actually gets....within the recommended time frame. For instance, one of the older horses with our trainer did great after getting the Equiox for his arthritis.

Just keep it friendly.....maybe we can all help each other understand some of the ways of the BNT's that do things we don't even know about. Luckily we don't have that problem with wonderful trainer!

I agree that I think this was a thread about legal drugs to give, ie legal amounts of pain killers, depo, etc and why, so it maybe be things your horse has at home too, ie legends and other joint injections to make them feel their best and perform their best. Not what do people give their horses bending the rules etc...
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with giving the horses a little pain killer at the end of the day at the horse show, they have usually been worked hard and had to stand in their stall a lot, its not like my horse is lame or serviceability sound and I am trying to cover it up.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Just keep it friendly.....maybe we can all help each other understand some of the ways of the BNT's that do things we don't even know about. Luckily we don't have that problem with wonderful trainer!
    Well aren't you a creepy little troll. Help each other understand some of the ways BNT's do things that we don't know about??!! If we don't know about what they do then we'd just be making stuff up - right? If we don't know what they do maybe we should be communicating better with our trainers instead of trying to create drama on the internet, don't you think?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I think if you start with the assumption that at least 80% of the horses showing at rated shows where these regs are in place are on a single NSAID, most likely bute. Here's betting (and really, I'm pulling this out of the air, but I bet I'm close to right) another 30-50% get robaxin at some time or another. Probably a lesser percent - 20% get 2 legal NSAIDs, and depending on the show, who knows where the dex usage is. I'd say 70% of the hunters in some barns get it while other barns don't use it at all. I couldn't begin to comment on red shot or its many variations. I know it's out there and given the latest USHJA magazine talked about it, I'd say everyone knows it is there as well.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Ha - my horse was drugged tested his first time out last year at a rated show - and I had let a young Jr. Rider borrow him for her first rated show. At any rate - as I mentioned previously even the most benign sounding things can pose a problem later on - as the drug tester told me - some Jrs. thinks its cute to share their sodas w/ their horses - um that'll get you a positive test.

I will say I did hear of about a trainer recently bragging on his use of 'medications" as in - if everyone else is doing why can't I- sort of standard operating procedure. My trainer will not even use vetrolin or anything like that on the horses - just rubbing alcohol- goodness knows I'm sure that has a banned substance in it somewhere too.
    Ahhhh! Do you know what sodas do come up positive and does gatorade?

Unhappy Here we go again

this is so dumb. I'm sorry to say that but, everyone loves to argue on the subject of "drugging" horses with either bute or an herbal supp or anything. I am a trainer and yes my horses get meds if and or when necessary. We show on the A circuit and yes I've had horses drug tested with none positive of course. I follow the guidelines listed by USEF and know them well. Other trainers often ask me about the rules since I am a stickler for following them. If all drugs/supps were bad then none would be allowed. With that said not all trainers are bad becuase we CARE for out clients horses to help maintain them and also see that the clients have a nice show. My clients don't really know exactly what bute, dex, surpass, depo, banamine, dmso, robaxin, adequan, legend, polyglycan, ketofen, panalog cream, smz's, gastrogaurd and rasberry leaves for example, (is the list long enough??) are and many of them don't care. They trust me to make the important decisions and I would not break that trust. If they want to know I happily share the information with them otherwise I do what I feel is the correct thing for such horses. I also work with the vet if I'm not sure about a behavior/symptom. I don't just "shoot them up"....

Quote Originally Posted by Paint Hunter/Jumper View Post
    Ahhhh! Do you know what sodas do come up positive and does gatorade?
    The vet testing my horse (we had quite a lengthy conversation as er um he was not being too cooperative...) specifically mentioned Mountain Dew because of the amount of caffeine. After reading some of the threads about the olympic show jumpers getting positive tests and having recently reviewed the list of banned substances you have to pretty much be very careful about anything you put in your horses mouth. My horse loves Doritos, Chex Party Mix etc - those have Chili Peppers so he could have tested positive for Capsaicin (which I didn't know that peppers = capsaicin- it's amazing what you can learn on this BB!)

Bute and Robaxin after the day's rounds. Legal when given 12 hrs before. Legend once a month.

Anything with caffeine will show up on a drug test, so I would be careful about giving horses Mountain Dew, Vault, even Pepsi when at a show. Sprite should be fine though. Also, watch out for chocolate! A trainer I know of once had a horse test positive for caffeine because she'd given him a chocolate bar for being a good boy. Dark chocolate is worse than milk, but I would just avoid it altogether at shows.

Also, I was told by the USEF that dmso is legal and there are no limits on useage, but a prior comment leads me to question this . . . ? Anyone know the full scoop on dmso? One of my horses does have a little swelling on her hind leg that we have been treating with that - I would hate to think I've broken any rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Ei's View Post
    Pergolide
    Hopefully not anywhere he'll get drug tested.

I love love love this bulletin board. It is a GREAT source for so many things! http://209.85.48.14/1501/29/0/e9139/e9139.gif http://209.85.48.14/1501/29/0/e9139/e9139.gif

Just wanted to add a bit of info I have. While I was working at a large breeding/training facility in North Florida, we had a hunter trainer come up from Ocala-area to look at horses. This guy openly admitted, without a thought that his whole show-string is kept on Isoxuprine while they're showing. I asked him what if they get tested. His response: "So what, you get your name in the Equestrian mag and you move on." Needless to say, I was quite floored by his attitude.

I always find it interesting that some trainers names (who are out there competing and winning at the top, multiple grand prix horses and tons of customers) NEVER EVER show up on that list on the back pages, while other trainers show up time and time again. Its not that hard to stay with in the rules as there's a lot of folks out there managing a lot of aging show horses very carefully who manage to do it. Then there are those who just don't care and break the rules as if they don't apply to them. But you know their business does suffer because people know they cheat.
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Aug. 29, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

My horse shows off his daily supplements... which are in smartpaks.

He has HA Joint Powder, Grand Hoof Pellets, adn Electrolytes. And for the winter i am going to get him on some Calm and Cool or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Jumper View Post
    Three of our horses: Nothing! Other than an absorbine rub-down on the legs, standing wraps, hoof packing and a nice rub-down after a hard day's showing. And maybe an obscene amount of treats.

One horse: I will say off the bat that the horse's medications are very carefully monitored with her show schedule so as to be ineffective during the show. But the poor girl is 20, so she's on dex, azium, bute after a hard ride, legend AND adequan,.
    Azium *is* dexamethasone.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

This guy openly admitted, without a thought that his whole show-string is kept on Isoxuprine while they're showing. I asked him what if they get tested.
    Why would it matter if they get tested? Isoxuprine is a legal medication.

Isox is not legal. I don't remember how long they have to be off of it, but it's a while. Most top show barns medicate. They know the rules, ad they follow them. On the other hand, there are those that don't care if they are busted and will ace before the owner shows.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    I think if you start with the assumption that at least 80% of the horses showing at rated shows where these regs are in place are on a single NSAID, most likely bute. Here's betting (and really, I'm pulling this out of the air, but I bet I'm close to right) another 30-50% get robaxin at some time or another. Probably a lesser percent - 20% get 2 legal NSAIDs, and depending on the show, who knows where the dex usage is. I'd say 70% of the hunters in some barns get it while other barns don't use it at all. I couldn't begin to comment on red shot or its many variations. I know it's out there and given the latest USHJA magazine talked about it, I'd say everyone knows it is there as well.
    where did these statistics come from? My horses don't need any drugs to show, and I don't personally know anyone who needs drugs to show. I'm not saying I know the whole world by any means, but if the stat is really 80% I would think I would at least know ONE person that was doing this....and I do know more than a few ppl who show

what is red shot?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"