The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hey, can we make her feel any more miserable? Sure we can, the COTH vultures just love to circle anything that shows a sign of weakness then swoop down for the attack.

Aspenlucas, you are doing what you can honey.

Keeping a roof over your head and food on the table for your kiddies is the noble option. A lot of people are struggling right now and many in your situation would unfortunately let nature take its course rather than do what you are doing.

Please keep us updated, even if not through this post than through PMs.

Thinking of you and your daughters today. (((hugs)))
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

ROTFLMAO My local animal shelter???? And that would be where? There are no animal shelters here there are none in this county or the other county we farm in. Hell theres only two stoplights in the whole county. Animal shelter? And no I'm not going to trap them. I'm not saying everyone should shoot them trap away if you like but thats just not practical here what would I do with them besides kill them anyway?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Jingles for the kitty.

Add me to the crowd that thinks it should have gone to the E-vet immediately or been put out of its misery some other way.

I can not imagine making a cat wait until a mid morning vet appointment.

If money is the issue then let the BO shoot the poor thing and put it out of its misery.

On cats traveling.

I have three feral barn cats that I call my own (got them thru a TNR program).
    I see how far they travel. I also see how far a neighbors cats come to eat at my barn.
    To think that a cat/kitten never leaves the property is very foolish.

Jingles again for the poor kitty.

First off, my prayers are with your kitten, and you. You are providing a level of care and compassion far above what most country cats get! Hopefully Carrot will pull through and be OK. PLEASE remember, CATS ARE TOUGH!

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to put Carrot to sleep as long as you can keep her comfortable. Dead is FOREVER. Give her a chance. She is young.

A friend of mine had a 2 legged (diagonal hind and front) cat that lived 17 years. He even caught a mouse one day! The only thing he couldn't do was climb trees. Many people thought she was nuts to spend the money to fix that cat! And that his quality of life would be bad. But he lived a long and happy life.

Please keep us posted. Don't feel guilty (although I know you will) because you have to make choices. We feed and care for many cats here on this farm. All wild cats are caught, sputered and vaccinated and provided food and shelter and basic Vet care. Shoot a cat? I don't think so. But I won't go there....... Please give Carrot an extra pet from me.
    Last edited by NoDQhere; Aug. 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling

I'd never shoot a cat or any animal just to shoot it but I sure will to protect my livestock and poultry.

We should save all this energy for the effort to catch and punish the SOB that did this.

Time for a webcam in your barn, hooked to a computer. Or motion sensor lights?

Is it worth reporting to the police that you've had a trespasser on the property shooting the kitten? That way, if you do catch them up to mischief again, there's a paper trail?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I'd never shoot a cat or any animal just to shoot it but I sure will to protect my livestock and poultry.
    And here I thought that is what poultry wire is for. Silly me!

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post

As for the above poster who mentioned the kitty with the mangled leg, I take offense to your statement about "no quality of life" if you were to amputate her leg. Now, I am not saying you had to spend all that money to have the surgery and that deciding to put her down was wrong, but just your other reasoning behind why it was so horrible to amputate her leg.

Anyway, jingles for Carrot.
    And what I'm saying is that it was a front leg, not a hind leg, which to me, makes a difference in quality of life for an outdoor cat. Those front paws and claws are their defense, especially in a rural setting. That is the difference between a tripod dog and a cat. Yes, she may have been able to get around, had she even been able to recover, BUT, that leg was badly mangled, infection & shock was beginning to set in, despite the antibiotics from the emergency clinic, and we're talking just starting at $1000 for a barn cat to have its leg removed. We did everything we could to help our kitty, but she was suffering too much to put her through any more trauma.
    When I say cost be damned, I mean it within reason, and with common sense. I understand people have limited means of income, the economy sucks, and vets bills suck even more. Caring for animals right now is a financial strain for alot of people, and it's unfortunate. But, you should do whatever is reasonable, humane and is within your means to get the animal treatment that is necessary. You don't let a kitty with a gunshot wound in its back lay there all night without treatment until a midmorning appointment the next day, or at least, I wouldn't. I'd be banging on the door first thing, or going to the after hours clinic, if one was available.
    My thoughts are with Carrot, and I hope she is not suffering and will be able to recover from this and be a happy kitty. My thoughts are also with the person who used poor Carrot for target practice: "May your asshairs turn into fish hooks."
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Any updates on the kitty?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    And here I thought that is what poultry wire is for. Silly me!
    Considering the lengths that our landowners have gone through to try and keep their couple of hens and roosters safe from our local predators, chicken wire does NOT always cut it. And these are just some hobby laying hens and pets for their girls. Those who depend on INCOME from their poultry and livestock have every right to protect their animals however they can.

From everything county posts, I have a feeling that the large majority of us can not even comprehend his (her?? have no idea) lifestyle.

Still thinking about Carrot. I'm gonna go hug my little one and remind her to stick close to the barn!

ROTFLMAO Poultry wire? So now I'm supposed to fence off 5 acres of land with poultry wire to keep peoples cats out? I totally agree with what someone said about some on here having no clue about how some others make their living or lifestyle.

OP, I hope that you got good news about Carrot this morning. Your post made me realize how lucky I am to live in the part of the state where I have more than one emergency vet to choose from and where it isn't $300 just to walk in the door.

I am sure you did the best you could for the kitty considering the hand you were dealt. Really, none of us were there, none of us know the kitten - you do and I am sure you were able to tell that she was comfortable enough to wait until morning. The fact that she ate is a good sign - none of my guys will eat when they are sick or in pain. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your daughters!

Maria, how is the kitty this morning? How is your daughter taking it? Thinking about you guys!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

First of all I'm sickened that someone would shoot a kitten just for fun. I cannot even comprehend... I can't (won't) dwell on it though or I'll spend all day fretting over this poor little girl (and it may be too late for that anyway.... )

Aspenlucas- I've been there too FWIW. I had a little barn momma kitty who was very feral when we first moved in but time, patience, and food! won her over and she became a love. One day she was sleeping in my big draft mare's hay when I was bringing the horses in, and I had two horses in one hand and this draft mare in the other. the mare was, shall we say, an eager beaver for her food, and barged up to her feed tub and in the process stepped right on this momma kitty who for some odd reason didn't get up and out of the way in time (normally she was very aware of her surroundings). I saw it happening in slow motion and couldn't do anything to stop it- my fault for having two other horses in hand, I should have blocked the mare from entering the stall so fast, shoulda coulda woulda.

I took her to the vet and xrays showed her leg completely crushed into ten or more pieces. Irreparable, options were $1500 to amputate or put her down. I chose to have her put down (and cried for the entire next day about it). If it had been one of my house kitties, I would have spent the money. But as much as I liked that kitty, I do differentiate between my house cats and barn cats, and $1500 was too much for me, in spite of the fact I felt like it was my fault.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. ~hugs~ to you and of course Carrot.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Everyone has different limits when it comes to spending. I know someone who spent $16,000... that's right, three zeros... getting a kidney transplant for a months-old kitten. For everyone willing to point fingers at those unwilling to spend what they would to save a pet, there is someone else who could point fingers at them.

It lived 2 years by the way. That's $8,000 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post

As for the above poster who mentioned the kitty with the mangled leg, I take offense to your statement about "no quality of life" if you were to amputate her leg. Now, I am not saying you had to spend all that money to have the surgery and that deciding to put her down was wrong, but just your other reasoning behind why it was so horrible to amputate her leg.

We had a tripod greyhound with a front leg missing, and believe you me, she had a wonderful life. She could run with the best of them, still do stairs, basically there was not one thing she couldn't do prior to the amputation that she wasn't able to do afterwards. Animals are remarkable creatures and adapt very well in situations like that-- better than humans as at least there isn't any social stigma associated with amputation in dogs/cats.

Anyway, jingles for Carrot.
    Very true. When my Chester cat was diagnosed with cancer, I joined a Yahoo cancer support group. It was astonishing how many cats were Tripods after having a leg amputated due to cancer and got along wonderfully.

oh people- shes doing what she can for the kitty at that time

some are more fortunate than others to have facilities to take it to and get it seen to

but as far as i can gather she hasnt

so shes doing the right thing at that time-- the cat will get seen to and outcome will depend on that

let all wish the cat well and send jingles so that the op can keep the cat as a home cat now where it will safe and loved

so
    jingles little carrot ------- and by the way jingles for the op little girl who clearly shows
    she loves the cat

To Aspen the OP, best of luck and big jingles to you. I too can only do so much. That's a hard and sorry fact of life. I do the best I possibly can but there are limits.

I had two three legged cats who did very well. The first was Tripawed who had her hind leg removed as a kitten and the second was Phil. Phil was missing a front leg and had no difficulty at all in getting around. Best of luck Aspen. You're doing more than most!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Everyone has different limits when it comes to spending. I know someone who spent $16,000... that's right, three zeros... getting a kidney transplant for a months-old kitten. For everyone willing to point fingers at those unwilling to spend what they would to save a pet, there is someone else who could point fingers at them.

It lived 2 years by the way. That's $8,000 per year.
    Ummmm, I spent more than that to save my Chester and it was worth every penny to have him around for 4 more years. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Sounds like one of your neighbors did some target practice. I hope you find them. There is a special part of Hell reserved for that kind of human being. The part where they keep the child molesters, people who talk at movies, and those who don't flush the toilet after they do their business.

I hope they find the a hole who did this by the trail of diarrhea they keave behind...

Hope the kitty is okay.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues