The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Its totally illegal to shoot wild animals for target practice if you know someone who does call the local DNR office.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by MayS View Post
    How sad.

If you intend to save her, get her to the vet NOW. Spinal chord swelling & bleeding are a risk for permanent damage. If you don't intend to save her, have her put down tonight. If you can't spend $300 on her, that's understandable, but efforts to save her tomorrow can easily run $300 or more. It doesn't make sense to have her wait there suffering for 12 hours just to be put down tomorrow.

I'm really sorry you had to be the one to deal with this. What is wrong with people? I'm probably a weirdo but I don't think it's ok to shoot wild animals for fun target practice and let them limp off to die slowly, either.
    Nod nod. It is not humane to wait until tomorrow morning in this sort of situation.

Poor kitty cat. I could never have my own barn--all of my barn kitties would wind up as housecats because I would be too afraid of something happening to them.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Its totally illegal to shoot wild animals for target practice if you know someone who does call the local DNR office.
    But ok to shoot a stray kitty you think may be getting game birds? I don't understand. This kitten is 3 1/2 MONTHS old. She is tiny, the farm is large and the barn (where she stays) is not near anyone's house. The closest neighbor is over 500 yards away, and he enjoys the guineas, etc. He would never shoot a kitten. This was someone that came onto the property, but not seeing them what can you do? Had BO seen him, he would have shot at the trespasser. At this point just hoping the best for the kitten, seems she should have gone to the vet tonight. Unfortunately there were two options for her #1 come home with me and go in the morning as walking into the emergency clinic in our rural area is $300 that doesn't include euthanasia or treatment, or #2 BO could have put her to sleep with a 2nd shot. I didn't want #2 so I picked #1. Had I been a person with a huge pocketbook (maybe as big as my heart) kitty would be at the vet's now. But I just can't so please don't make me feel guilty everyone that I couldn't do it. It is killing me as it is to think things may be different, but I just don't have the money for that.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Depends on what state you're in and whether they're classed as a varmint. Varmints are pests that fair game any time of year. (After losing a horse to EPM I am strongly in favor of shooting any possum that comes down the pike.) Even then, you can shoot them, but you're just supposed to shoot them as cleanly as possible, not "target practice." And a kitten is not a varmint.

Given how much tomorrow is going to cost, I would really just go tonight if it all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Nod nod. It is not humane to wait until tomorrow morning in this sort of situation.
    See post above.......I am doing what I can, if you intention is to come here and make me feel like a horrible person for caring pick another thread. If you want to come get kitty and take her to the emergency clinic I will give her to anyone that wants to. I am doing what I can. There is no humane option in my area after 6PM, except emergency clinic or a bullet. I did the best I could. I'm just sorry that this all happened.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Not sure about your state just saying whats illegal here. Ok to shoot a stray cat? Yes to me and this state it is they do a huge amount of damage each year. Its also illegal to shoot at a trespasser here.

Its not illegal to shoot varmints here just to shoot them for target practice is.

Default Erica and Carrot

www.frostyoaks.com

Well...I'm going to step in as another one with small animal veterinary experience and say that honestly? The ER clinic or the bullet would be my preference. This kitten may have life threatening injuries....if you are not in a position to pay for the diagnostics and treatment ( a position I understand well) then a bullet is a fine option.

If you're just planning to euth in the a.m. anyway? I'd head for the ER clinic, get a professional opinion and if needed euth.

But waiting is borderline eek.

I'm not saying you SHOULD spend 1k on a barn cat. What I'm saying is that this is an emergent situation that is not going to get better overnight. So I'm not really sure what advice you're looking for. Aside from maintaining body temp and trying to push fluids, there's nothing you are equipped to do.

The humane thing is to get to the ER vet ASAP or shoot. Not wait and let suffer.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

aspenlucas --

Don't worry, it's easy for people to judge when they're not in your shoes... let's all remember that there is no easy decision here. I think everyone wants the best for the kitty, and you've chosen the option you could afford, emotionally deal with, and professional help is in the near future... that is more than many barn cats can hope for. However, the bullet is a quick and viable option. She won't suffer.

My husband had an uncle that used to drown the kittens rather than fix his cat. It makes me sick to think of. That would be a terrible death, and the level of neglect and cruelty astounds me. Your cat was shot, and while terrible and she is likely in some pain, she is likely not afraid right now and is feeling comforted and loved.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    See post above.......I am doing what I can, if you intention is to come here and make me feel like a horrible person for caring pick another thread. If you want to come get kitty and take her to the emergency clinic I will give her to anyone that wants to. I am doing what I can. There is no humane option in my area after 6PM, except emergency clinic or a bullet. I did the best I could. I'm just sorry that this all happened.
    I am not trying to make you feel like a horrible person, and I sent you a PT.

Quote Originally Posted by veebug22 View Post
    aspenlucas --
    she is likely not afraid right now and is feeling comforted and loved. You've given her everything you can tonight.
    Thanks veebug, I'm headed to bed, so I can get up early and get her in there as soon as they open. Really if she is in any pain she is being super stoic about it. She ate some steak. I had some for dinner and I cut very small pieces up for her. I've had kitties all my life and seen all different things at my old barn with kittens and the road. I used to be a drop off for a lady that said she was from a no kill shelter. She'd drop kitties off with a can of food, til she dropped off 11 and I said no more! The spaying and neutering was killing me! But though she may be being stoic. I'm looking at her and not feeling I'm being inhumane or that she is suffering horribly. I have a huge issue with playing God and putting things to sleep. I've had to put horses down that were colicking and that was very hard for me. If an animal is fighting and seems to be comfortable I will fight all day with them. I'll let everyone know what the vet's say tomorrow. I used to work for the clinic I'm going to, so I'm hope they are easy on me financially.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Default Putting in my two cents (fwiw)

I had a similar situation happen with a wonderful, sweet barn kitty. She was the most beautiful cat~ cream colored with smoky points, crystal blue eyes and a mask like a raccoon. She also was notorious for getting underfoot and not moving, which is what she did one Sunday afternoon when we were bringing in the horses. She was laying on the paver blocks in front of the barn and my friend was bringing in my TB, who stepped on her paw with a shod hoof. She snatched her foot out from underneath and took off.
    I found her in the azalea bush near the house and coaxed her out. And, just like in this situation she was purring loudly. But that foot was mangled, to the point her paw pads were gone and it was obviously crushed. We wasted no time, and took her to the emergency clinic all the way at the beach. Of course, all they could do was x-ray it, clean it and wrap it, give her some antibiotics & tell us to go first thing in the morning to our regular small animal vet. We did, and as we feared, the leg was in bad shape. We had 3 options: 1) keep it wrapped & clean, hope for the best and try to keep her pain-free 2) amputate for the cost of around $1000, have a cat with one front leg & no quality of life, and still possibly lose her or 3) humanely euthanize her immediately, as she was showing signs of shock. We chose #3, and were heartbroken to lose her, but realized it was the best decision.
    That being said, although the emergency clinic wasn't able to do much, we did the right thing by taking her immediately. Why? We were at least able to get the wound clean, give her some pain meds & antibiotics, and keep her comfortable until the next morning. Animals cannot tell you if they are in pain, and even though she was purring, it was obvious she was in horrific pain. Cost be damned, if you have an animal, even a barn kitty, you are responsible for it if it gets badly hurt. That means it is not any less important than the $20k horse standing in his stall with a career-threatening injury. You certainly don't stick him in a box & hope he's ok till morning.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Cost be damned? Hardly.

Cost be damned? Hardly.
    Exactly! Tell that to those of us about to go bankrupt because of the economy right now.

Our thoughts are with you and the kitty.

So often I hear people say that if someone doesn't spend as much money on an animal as they would then their not responsable and don't love the animal. Total ignorance.

Default jingles out to you and your kitty

I too feel your pain of pending vet bills. I had my two year old gelding at the vet's clinic for a week of IV treatments, only to never find out what was wrong with him, thankfully though he's now home & healthy. But my bill was $2600 and the other week had to take our springer spaniel to the emergency clinic there went another $500, I too don't have that kind of cash laying around, has been an extremely fincancially hard summer for us, but luckily someone at the vets clinic mentioned this thing called Carecredit. It's like a credit card but the vet then can decide the payments, such as they gave me the option of 6 or 12 months no interest to pay my bills. This was really a godsend for me. It's just something maybe you could ask your vet about and look into. Jingles & prayers to you, your kitty & family!!!!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Aspen-

You are doing the right thing with what you have to work with. Not everyone can validate spend $$$ on a barn kitty.

Good luck at the clinic/vet today. Hope all goes well.

Jingling for Carrot

To all those voting to shoot her before taking her to the vet in the AM, won't ya'll feel bad if the vet removes the bullet and says Carrot will recover 100%? This may not be the case, but what if?
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Sorry about the kitten and hope it wasn't straying somewhere. We have a huge problem here with cats not staying home and about the only way to control it is shooting them. They kill a large number of poultry chicks and ducklings plus sone birds, and young game birds.
    No, I am sorry, but shooting them is not the only way to control the situation. You could, and should, put out traps for the cats, and then take them into your local animal shelter who will then deal with the problem in the most humane way. Unless you are a dead on shot every single time, that's not a very humane way to deal with the situation at all.

As for the above poster who mentioned the kitty with the mangled leg, I take offense to your statement about "no quality of life" if you were to amputate her leg. Now, I am not saying you had to spend all that money to have the surgery and that deciding to put her down was wrong, but just your other reasoning behind why it was so horrible to amputate her leg.

We had a tripod greyhound with a front leg missing, and believe you me, she had a wonderful life. She could run with the best of them, still do stairs, basically there was not one thing she couldn't do prior to the amputation that she wasn't able to do afterwards. Animals are remarkable creatures and adapt very well in situations like that-- better than humans as at least there isn't any social stigma associated with amputation in dogs/cats.

Anyway, jingles for Carrot.

Jingles
    The View from Here