The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Barn Kitten Shot Today

Today my almost 2 year old daughter's barn kitty was shot in the back with what looks like a 22. "Carrot" is about 3 1/2 months old. She is paralyzed in her hind end. She is comfortable, well as much as you can be. The barn owner (I rent a barn) found her. Hubby wanted to "finish her off"....wife was distraught. I have an appt for my whippet tomorrow morning at the vet's to get her teeth cleaned. So I brought Carrot home and will take her and see what they say. Anyone ever have a similar situation. I am praying that her spinal cord is just swollen and maybe if it goes down she will get mobility back. She is defacating on herself a little. Will take care of her and if the decision is to put her down at least it will be with me and my girls.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sounds like one of your neighbors did some target practice. I hope you find them. There is a special part of Hell reserved for that kind of human being. The part where they keep the child molesters, people who talk at movies, and those who don't flush the toilet after they do their business.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. If you have access to an emergency, after-hours vet, that would certainly be my first choice of action. The faster you can get a diagnosis as to exactly what is wrong and appropriate treatment, the more likely a good outcome.

Vibing for little Carrot, her girl and the rest of the family.

The COTH explosive diarrhea curse on the yingyang who shot the kitten.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Oh, sweet Jesus. I have a little one in the barn right now that is just a bit younger than that. I don't know what I'd do if I found her in such a state (most likely go postal and homicidal). There are truly evil, sadistic people in this world. The worst ones are the ones who hurt kids and animals for sport.

Lex is right...there's a very special place in hell, but I hope the ass gets found sooner than later.

Jingling for the kitten. Agree about getting her to an emergency clinic if possible. I wouldn't want to wait on this.

Any chance the cat had been visiting somewhere off the property?

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's kitten. You are right, it could be just swelling and she could regain function in her back end. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell if the spinal cord is severed or not. I had a barn cat shot by a neighbor once. I thought he had been run over by a car. x-ray surprised everyone and showed a bullet in his leg and the bone pulverized. We had to euthanize him. I'm glad we moved from that place. I hope you can discover what happened and take care of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Any chance the cat had been visiting somewhere off the property?
    No the property is large and surrounded by land owned by a neighbor, huge fields. The owner of the fields has a son that likes to shoot groundhogs. I can't imagine he mistook Carrot for a groundhog.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Jingling for the kitten. Agree about getting her to an emergency clinic if possible. I wouldn't want to wait on this.
    Unfortunately I cannot do that. Kitty is not in any evident pain. She is purring right now???? The emergency clinic is about $300 when you walk in the door. It is my daughter's barn kitty, but I can only do so much. Have to be realistic here, and take care of my human kids. If she was in pain the barn owner would have taken her tonight and had her put down. My appt is 10:15 tomorrow morning. I'm thinking we will x ray her at a minimum and see where the bullet is. I used to work there after college, so I'm PRAYING they cut me some slack. Hubby said if it's a relatively cheap fix, call him and she's our barn cat. So all you that pray, tons of prayers tonight. I'm glad she's purring....a good sign to me, and resting comfortably.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Prayers for the little kitty.

And big curses for whoever shot her.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    Kitty is not in any evident pain. She is purring right now????
    Ironically, purring can also be a sign of stress (we call it the terror purr at the clinic I work at). My heart goes out to the kitten and I hope her injury isn't as serious as it sounds.

I also hope you're able to track down whoever shot her and punish him/her accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomhorse View Post
    Ironically, purring can also be a sign of stress (we call it the terror purr at the clinic I work at).
    Doesn't seem to be, if this kitty is stressed, then I want to be stressed. Really she is resting very comfortably, not in any evident pain. Only purrs when I pet her like she always has. Yes, I have no clue who shot her, but very sad it happened. This kitten does not stray from the barn/farm....EVER. So whomever it was was on the property. The lane to the road is about 1/4 mile long.
    www.frostyoaks.com

I work in referral orthopedic veterinary medicine, and unfortunatley see paralysis all too often. I am not trying to discourage you by any means, but leaving this kitten overnight may have just decided his fate. Unfortunatley with back injuries, time is essential. A simple steriod injection may have made a difference as rapid antiinflammatory agents are really important in spinal damage. However, usually after 24 hours they are too late. Surgery often is too late after 48 hours if there is a compression. Please do what you can to get the kitten in first thing in the morning if you want to try to save him. If euthanasia if your only option, then at least he is comfortable and Im sure the kitten would be happiest having you and your kids with him.

Why oh why did I open this thread? I'm just as sorry as I can be about that poor kitten. Please call animal control or your sheriff's dept and report the incident. Next time it may not be one of the barn cats.

Jingles for your poor kitty.
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Jingles for your kitty and {{Hugs}} to you and your daughter!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    Doesn't seem to be, if this kitty is stressed, then I want to be stressed. Really she is resting very comfortably, not in any evident pain. Only purrs when I pet her like she always has.
    When my last outdoor kitty crawled home with his pelvis totally crushed and bone sticking out, he purred happily and rubbed his cheek against mine when I picked him up. Shock does odd things

The $200 it cost for the emergency clinic to euth him hurt my checkbook badly, but not going wasn't an option. He was still purring as I held him for the final shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Unfortunatley with back injuries, time is essential. A simple steriod injection may have made a difference as rapid antiinflammatory agents are really important in spinal damage. However, usually after 24 hours they are too late. Surgery often is too late after 48 hours if there is a compression.
    Now I am sad. They figure she got shot around 4-5 PM. Barn owner was outside all afternoon and the kitten was around him. At 6ish she was at the foot of the steps trying to drag herself in the house. My appt is at 10:15. I will call in the morning and see if I can get her in earlier. I'll let you guys know how we make out. At any rate she is getting tons of love from my almost 2 year old. My 4 year old is playing, her kitten is fine at the barn. Erica is talking to her and loving her and sitting so quiet next to her. I've never known such a young child to be so caring. She could carry Carrot around at the barn all day. The other day I fed at that barn and had to go to the broodmare barn. We took the kittens with us. The girls were in the car with the windows down for about 1 1/2 hours, as they fell asleep. Both kittens nuzzled into their blankies and carseats. Now I wish I had taken pictures that day....since it's Erica's first kitten. Let's hope there can be more pictures. Praying for a miracle.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Default barn kitty

Maria,
    Is that the barn where we picked up Lilly? I remember it is certainly off the beaten track.
    Jingles for the kitty and hope things go well at the vet tomorrow. My solution for SOBs that injure animals and children is a dull rusty knife......

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    Maria,
    Is that the barn where we picked up Lilly? I remember it is certainly off the beaten track.
    Jingles for the kitty and hope things go well at the vet tomorrow. My solution for SOBs that injure animals and children is a dull rusty knife......
    Carol, yes it is that barn. Not the one where Contention was (in town). There is no one nearby. Very sad for little kitty. Erica sure is taking care of her tonight. She will know for sure that she is loved.
    www.frostyoaks.com

Sorry about the kitten and hope it wasn't straying somewhere. We have a huge problem here with cats not staying home and about the only way to control it is shooting them. They kill a large number of poultry chicks and ducklings plus sone birds, and young game birds.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

How sad.

If you intend to save her, get her to the vet NOW. Spinal chord swelling & bleeding are a risk for permanent damage. If you don't intend to save her, have her put down tonight. If you can't spend $300 on her, that's understandable, but efforts to save her tomorrow can easily run $300 or more. It doesn't make sense to have her wait there suffering for 12 hours just to be put down tomorrow.

I'm really sorry you had to be the one to deal with this. What is wrong with people? I'm probably a weirdo but I don't think it's ok to shoot wild animals for fun target practice and let them limp off to die slowly, either.