The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Should have known you couldn't start a thread like this without "colorism" rearing its ugly head. I wish I hadn't opened it; the ignorance expressed by some is very disturbing.
    Actually I don't think anyone was refering to the actual colors in the pedigree rather the individuals in the pedigree.
    Last edited by Dance_To_Oblivion; Aug. 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Should have known you couldn't start a thread like this without "colorism" rearing its ugly head. I wish I hadn't opened it; the ignorance expressed by some is very disturbing.
    Ain't got nuthin' to do with "color". It's about bloodlines and authenticity of pedigree. We've been screeched at far and wide on here about how a draft cross is NOT a "warmblood" and there have been many tirades about misrepresented sale horses not actually being the breed they are touted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    Ain't got nuthin' to do with "color". It's about bloodlines and authenticity of pedigree. We've been screeched at far and wide on here about how a draft cross is NOT a "warmblood" and there have been many tirades about misrepresented sale horses not actually being the breed they are touted to be.
    Breed, color, pedigree, even size mean nothing...it is all about heart,
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    Actually, the grey is the one with paperwork problems. He was sired by a cavalry horse from a fine lineage, but was born in Panama. The judges are overlooking this seeming violation of the Rule Book, which requires breeding on US soil.
    No, they are just considering the offspring of two purebred parents to be purebred also, even if the foal was born on a jaunt out of the country.

The palomino mare is actually a sour old gray mare with a good dye job and she hangs out with an old gray stallion that has been retired from stud duty, but misses it too much and is always looking out for any stray mare or filly that might pass by. The Warmblood is a typical WB - more European than American and in love with their systems and wants to make us more like them. The gray guy is an off the track TB who has seen it all and has the heart, stamina and brains to do his job properly.

g&b - there are many many that have been birthed in the US who's sire and dam are not natives. however, once birthed on US soil, always US citizen.

I find it amazing that the narly grey of 7 different very expensive barns thinks he has anything in common with some one like me who has only 1 small barn.

Economy fine??? pppfft. Purchase gas much? Purchase milk much? Or is that the ex-barrel racer's job??? Oh wait - its her $$ too.

There
    you
    go.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Maybe it would be better if the two Big Name Barns didn't have such a monopoly on everything. Allowing smaller barns to compete in the televised shows might give other options.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Secretariat2 said:
    "The gray guy is an off the track TB who has seen it all and has the heart, stamina and brains to do his job properly."

I agree with the heart and stamina, but this old horse is using his previous trainer's methods without regard to losing results, which is not a sign of a smart horse.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyQueen2049 View Post
    g&b - there are many many that have been birthed in the US who's sire and dam are not natives. however, once birthed on US soil, always US citizen.
    True, but how does that relate to the point I was making? That the offspring of two purebreds is a purebred also, even if born while temporarily boarded elsewhere?

I find it amazing that the narly grey of 7 different very expensive barns thinks he has anything in common with some one like me who has only 1 small barn.
    IIRC, the grey doesn't actually have any barns at all. He's just there on a free lease deal without actual ownership rights. He'll go back to the rescue if current leasee doesn't want him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DairyQueen2049 View Post

Economy fine??? pppfft. Purchase gas much? Purchase milk much? Or is that the ex-barrel racer's job??? Oh wait - its her $$ too.

There
    you
    go.
    There was a law on the books at the time of the bay's birth that said that if a foal was born to one grade and one registered parent, the registered parent had to have been in the country for at least 10 yrs after the age of 16. The bay's dam was only 18 when he was born, so therefore she didn't automatically qualify him. Also, there is a situation similiar to a Dutch Friesian rule concerning outside papers when the bay was little, and given foreign registration.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by planetlisa View Post
    Maybe it would be better if the two Big Name Barns didn't have such a monopoly on everything. Allowing smaller barns to compete in the televised shows might give other options.
    Amen!! Talk about being overcoached and totally dependent and loyal to a BNT for no reason!!
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

When I was growing up I had pintos so I was never a fan of Palominos till I supposed this Palomino this year in all her competitions. I wish the mare had won, sigh.

I did support th stud both times he competed, the one who was a dappled grey but turned grey during the competition in 1992 and 1996, and he was at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, but for some reason he went to the swimming venue and not the equestrian venue.

So I wish the Palomino mare had won it all. She was the best. Oh well, now I have to cheer for the old broken down cart horse. Hopefully he will compete in pairs with a younger mare or stud.

And please don't refer to that other horse as a WB. He has no resemblance, conformation-wise to any WB I've ever seen. Too rangly and comformation is bad.

And Mares have been discriminated against for years, too emotional, etc. What's wrong with showing emotions, mares show them and don't hide them. We need another Genuine Risk or Touch of Class. Mares rule. (and they are smarter than the boys)
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Aug. 27, 2008 at 01:17 PM.

I agree with the heart and stamina, but this old horse is using his previous trainer's methods without regard to losing results, which is not a sign of a smart horse.
    Actually the grey TB has a huge reputation for bucking the old trainer's method and is very much a maverick. He goes his own way, which during many international trials, has been the winning way.

quote:
    "Actually the grey TB has a huge reputation for bucking the old trainer's method and is very much a maverick. He goes his own way, which during many international trials, has been the winning way."

At one time, yes, but not anymore. I did like him a lot when he was a younger, more independent colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat2 View Post
    Actually the grey TB has a huge reputation for bucking the old trainer's method and is very much a maverick. He goes his own way, which during many international trials, has been the winning way.
    I keep forgetting about that. Thanks for reminding me as I don't want to sit out this horse race, but since the Palomino is out, I've been hesitating.
    I think the old ottb grey is laying low so his BNT won't get mad, then he'll do what he wants to do. But I do hope he'll choose a mare or a bay or a black or a buckskin to ride with.

He wants to drop "turds" on a horse "I ran", just another expression of his dominance, I guess.

OMG-this thread is a riot!!
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

I think the grey needs to be put down.

I think the bay's mother should have had an abortion.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

tick tick tick tick