The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I thought it was interesting that one judge said that the mare would have to get behind the bay warmblood because it was the best thing for HER. That supporting the grey would essentially be the end for HER. Interesting that what is the best for the sport had no bearing on it. But, I'm sure no one supporting the bay caught that....

I think all three are lame and should be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by BelladonnaLily View Post
    I thought it was interesting that one judge said that the mare would have to get behind the bay warmblood because it was the best thing for HER. That supporting the grey would essentially be the end for HER. Interesting that what is the best for the sport had no bearing on it. But, I'm sure no one supporting the bay caught that....

I think all three are lame and should be retired.
    Well, it is an individual sport and only the Nations Cup you have to jump for your team.
    Maybe that is what was meant?

I agree, no need to handicap them, they do so themselves very well, not even counting that neither would pass a vet check, due to old scars still bothering them.

Since we are on monkeys and horses!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfISiHWjvP8

Thumbs up

Being a HUGE fan - one of MILLIONS - who watched the palomino eager to see a mare best all the stallions. Because mares have never been at the pinnacle before even though they deserve to be. I was fully prepared to follow the mare on any trail she took. Not so much for either the bay or the gray. Not a warmblood fan, or a pasty gray boy fan.

I was so proud of the mare last night - she said it all. She spoke in her own words all the words required to convince me warm bloods are the best. But it just made me more certain she should be the trail boss, not the unpredictable not fully trained warmblood.

I am even more heatbroken and will fail to cast my lot with either stallion this November
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Being a HUGE fan - one of MILLIONS - who watched the palomino eager to see a mare best all the stallions. Because mares have never been at the pinnacle before even though they deserve to be. I was fully prepared to follow the mare on any trail she took. Not so much for either the bay or the gray. Not a warmblood fan, or a pasty gray boy fan.

I was so proud of the mare last night - she said it all. She spoke in her own words all the words required to convince me warm bloods are the best. But it just made me more certain she should be the trail boss, not the unpredictable not fully trained warmblood.

I am even more heatbroken and will fail to cast my lot with either stallion this November

For many, the palomino's old baggage of dirty stops and run offs at the base of jumps is enough to keep them wary, just as to others that she did get over most of those jumps is seen as an asset.
    There were evidently more millions in doubt than believers.

A toss up that one, that thankfully didn't make it into the jump off, so we won't have to see what her rate of hits to misses would have been.

Although the same can be said for today's front runners, they may not have quite as questionable story behind them, to make us that wary of either of them.

Default I liked

I liked the palomino mare but have said for years that a bay colt would win first prize before a mare would. Gray geldings - not my cup of tea. Too hard to keep clean.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Gray geldings - not my cup of tea. Too hard to keep clean.

So are those with very expensive hair cuts (hard to keep 'clean')!!!!
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Default Sorry but the Palo scared the _hit out of me

If she was so good, why isn't she in the Big Horse Show representing Noah's Ark instead of RUNNING AWAY to a BIG Orchard to get fat and into the big show....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

I agree with Woodland. Love the palomino. Don't know yet whether I'll be cheering for the bay or walking away from the show.

I sure wouldn't want the Palomino mare in my barn. She has an honesty problem. As for the bay "warmblood," not only does he lack true competition mileage, he's really a Hackney pony/Arab cross. Flashy front end but no true engagement from behind.

I really would have liked a grand TB named Ron from some excellent old foundation lines which are hard to find anymore, ones that date back before the TB started focusing more on sprints and precocity than endurance and durability.

But I will end up going for the gray gelding.

I've been a huge fan of the bay stallion from the get-go. He is an honest horse with a good work ethic. I liked the palomino mare when she was in Washington, but saw some nasty streaks once she was in the race that made me less fond of her (maybe she just needed some Regumate? I dunno). Gray gelding is icky - too old and rickety; his manners are awful and he's too bossy and aggressive with other horses.
    Last edited by Erin Pittman; Aug. 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Sadly, the palomino and the bay both seem to be more interested in seeing themselves in the jumbo-tron and aren't keeping their eyes on the fences, so I think the old grey will win, even though I don't feel he is the best horse.

Love the Palomino mare! Wonderful scope and energy! The bay is definitely dishonest with a very troubling pedigree. I'm not in love with the grey - he's a little laid back for my liking - but will be putting my money on him in the Fall Classic.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    Love the Palomino mare! Wonderful scope and energy! The bay is definitely dishonest with a very troubling pedigree. I'm not in love with the grey - he's a little laid back for my liking - but will be putting my money on him in the Fall Classic.
    I am not thrilled with the old grey either, but there is something to be said for a seasoned campaigner. The bay is still too green, and has a female trainer that is scary. The bay, they say, may have a rat in the woodpile, so to speak, about his true lineage and birthplace. He can't run in this fall classic unless he is a US bred with appropriate paperwork.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    The bay is definitely dishonest with a very troubling pedigree.
    Should have known you couldn't start a thread like this without "colorism" rearing its ugly head. I wish I hadn't opened it; the ignorance expressed by some is very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I sure wouldn't want the Palomino mare in my barn. She has an honesty problem. As for the bay "warmblood," not only does he lack true competition mileage, he's really a Hackney pony/Arab cross. Flashy front end but no true engagement from behind.

But I will end up going for the gray gelding.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    Actually the bay has no arab in his bloodlines. That's a nasty rumour perpetuated by a competeing barn.
    Not according to the foreign stud book that registered his sire.

However, he was sold without papers and irresponsible breeding to nondescript grade mares left him with scrub offspring all over the place being passed off as whatever their owners think the buying public wants and is stupid enough to believe.

Well, I wouldn't have that carpet-bagging palamino bi+ch in my barn if I could help it! Unfortunately I didn't have any choice. Maybe if the bay wins the championship he'll put her in his stable. I sure hope so just to get her out of here!

Now, as for the bay and the grey. Both have good points and bad points which I don't have time to go into. The bay just made a great choice for his 'partner' as his partner will certainly be a good mentor for him and help him in his weak spots - which are many.

I'm waiting to see who the grey takes as his 'partner'. I've heard some discussion and would love to see either one but I've also heard the bay one refused and the other has the same age problems even if he is an independent. I have a feeling I'm gonna be watching this race pretty closely.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    I am not thrilled with the old grey either, but there is something to be said for a seasoned campaigner. The bay is still too green, and has a female trainer that is scary. The bay, they say, may have a rat in the woodpile, so to speak, about his true lineage and birthplace. He can't run in this fall classic unless he is a US bred with appropriate paperwork.
    Actually, the grey is the one with paperwork problems. He was sired by a cavalry horse from a fine lineage, but was born in Panama. The judges are overlooking this seeming violation of the Rule Book, which requires breeding on US soil.

Well it is the jumpers.....making it to the jump off and winning does not neccessarily mean the best horse...the best horse could have had a cheap rail or a time fault or the best ride may have not been fast enough...it may have dilgently jumped each fence in perfect form, never cut corners or wavered almost uncontrolably or flat out ran like a maniac with the rails rolling in the cups but staying up...sometimes the fastest through the timers is not truly the best one.

Since not voting is not an option for many of us, maybe we can judge it like an optimum time.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl