The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default A horse named hillary

I know of a horse named hillary. She's a mature palomino mare, highly intelligent and competitive. She jumped the heck out of a warmblooded bay but didn't time herself well in the prelims. But she just appeared on a TV special and did what I think was an excellent job of endorsing the warmblood. Such an excellent job that it made me cry.

Any other Hillary-horse folks out there? Friends of mine who were so angry about the competition were willing to give their highest grades to the grey gelding, but I hope that the palomino's performance this evening changes some minds.

Mods, it REALLY is all about horses.

Very clever! Love it!

The judges on TV are double guessing the crowd, especially some pompous jerk in suspenders. Why could anyone in suspenders who never competed in anything be capable of judging?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    I know of a horse named hillary. She's a mature palomino mare, highly intelligent and competitive. She jumped the heck out of a warmblooded bay but didn't time herself well in the prelims. But she just appeared on a TV special and did what I think was an excellent job of endorsing the warmblood. Such an excellent job that it made me cry.

Any other Hillary-horse folks out there? Friends of mine who were so angry about the competition were willing to give their highest grades to the grey gelding, but I hope that the palomino's performance this evening changes some minds.

I'm a fan of palominos myself. Not as fond of greys or bays but bays are better than greys (I guess).

BTW, I think that the warmblooded bay's mare gave a spectacular show yesterday. Excellent equitation, collection and lengthening as necessary. The tack was beautifully fitted. I wish my pony had such toning. Putting the babies in the ring (with mikes? snort, squeal alert) was risky, but worked.

The problem is the judges are all bought. Not one of the judges have ever had and original thought.

I am not a fan of the Mare in general. No vet care has ever been turned down. Why should we add a level of bureaucracy to that. All the vet clinics I have been to have a sign that says that you will not be turned away regardless of ability to pay.

This is a horse race where none of the field are worth betting the farm on. Both want the farm in the pay off. LF

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    I'm a fan of palominos myself. Not as fond of greys or bays but bays are better than greys (I guess).
    My mom and dad (die hard greys in times past) were palomino folks and announced to me that when the palomino excused herself from competition that they were going for the grey gelding, even though mom said the gelding reminded her of doddering dolts at the local market.

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    The problem is the judges are all bought. Not one of the judges have ever had and original thought.

I am not a fan of the Mare in general. No vet care has ever been turned down. Why should we add a level of bureaucracy to that. All the vet clinics I have been to have a sign that says that you will not be turned away regardless of ability to pay.

This is a horse race where none of the field are worth betting the farm on. Both want the farm in the pay off. LF
    the judges have no original thoughts. We're the spectators. We may not be able to do better than the competitors, but that's we get to spout our opinions. btw. I thought that the palomino's stallion looked a little buzzed but so proud of his lead mare.

My mom and dad (die hard greys in times past) were palomino folks and announced to me that when the palomino excused herself from competition that they were going for the grey gelding, even though mom said the gelding reminded her of doddering dolts at the local market.
    As opposed to the current grey champion?

Actually I like to refer to him as the mad little monkey. There's a strong resemblence there (because everyone knows what a mad monkey looks like....right?).

Somebody needs to consult allbreedpedigree. Your "warmblood" bay is practically Half Arab. (The worst kind, I might add -- weedy, thin-skinned, cow-hocked, ewe-necked, high-headed, and skittish with no brains.)

Also not sure the "palomino" isn't just some wierd shade of dun with the smutty gene.

ETA: Also, the grey is a "rescue". That automatically excuses all his nonsense and people just HAVE to accept all his foibles because he's been "abused".

The grey gelding!!

I've always had a special place for palominos..and greys were always second, bays are just so plain, and arabs are just plain crazy,..so, yeah, just conflicted here..
    ETA: trying to figure out where my tb/paint might fit in, in the mix ya know.....kinda partial to that right now....

oh yeah, well, have only had mares until I got my gelding this year, and definitely, geldings are more grounded....luv the mares, but they are just too moody!!

My personal favorite (loud paint stallion with very unique markings but totally honest over fences) was hobbled by the media from the get go and never got a fair round

When I look at the Palomino mare I see some strange training techniques in her background that make me highly suspicious of future performance. The kind of mare that will stop dirty at a fence then while you are flipping over her shoulder to land on your back she'll tell you it was for your own good.

As for the bay? I would really check the pedigree because there is some BAD breeding there. As for his training he is so Parellified that the movements are completely lost in the showy nonsense..which causes the spectators to miss the fact the horse if slightly off...no thanks in my barn!

(as a side note...this is fun! )

Actually the bay has no arab in his bloodlines. That's a nasty rumour perpetuated by a competeing barn. He is however part zebra. I rather like the bay. I think eventually a mare will win the competition, but this particular mare had too much history.

I think the grey is trouble and would just continue down the path that the mad monkey has been on for the past seven years. I can't believe that there are people that supported the mare that would rather vote for the grey than have a bay in office... that's just sad.

OMG This is awesome. You couldn't pay me to buy either the palomino or the warmblood, or the old grey gelding either....

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    He is however part zebra.
    And there are so many fantastic part zebras doing fantastic things in competition? This particular bay goes around promising all the other horses apples if he wins the competition but neglects to mention he'll be taking some of my mare's apples (and your horses' apples as well) to make this happen... my mare is VERY possessive of her apples she works very hard for them and thinks the other horses should have to work for theirs as well

(It is late... I should probably go to sleep...but this is sooo funny)

ETA - I realized after I posted that the Zebra comment could be interpreted negatively as to the metaphorical counterpart of the zebra..however I intend no disrespect just being silly about real Zorses (isn't that what they call them?)
    Last edited by Dance_To_Oblivion; Aug. 27, 2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: potential very rude blunder...

Honestly, for such a big name show, we sure didn't get the better jumpers and riders to come, did we.
    With what was entered, the course builder had to go easy on the jumps, so as not to get someone killed in the attempt.
    On top of it, the ones that are left in this jump off are not the best of the ones entered.
    No wonder they are not going to fill the stands with spectators, when the time comes to decide a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Honestly, for such a big name show, we sure didn't get the better jumpers and riders to come, did we..
    Tricky, though. It's not like you can invite the Europeans.

Did anyone see the Ex-Canadian Palamino mare last night? She was never part of the competition, I think her performance was more exhibition.

I don't think previous abuse excuses the old narly grey from anything. Ground manners are very important and I expect all horses to have excellent ground manners no matter what has happened to them before in life. And I'm curious why a previously abused old narly grey would wish that an a whole country of youthful fresh to the world horses, over a big fat lie the crazy monkey told.

No way, no how do I want the narly grey.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin