The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    I actually went down there to look at Colonel's First Eagle, who is a 1/2 brother to my Bed Bug pony, and Morton's Charlotte. Charlotte was a beautiful mover and a lovely jumper. I was very surprised at the price on Charlotte. I like a motor on the smalls. It's way easier for a kid to slow one down than to get a sulky pony to move. Both of my kids rode her and she trucked around quietly and nicely, even the with the little one bouncing around on her back at the trot. I think people were worried about the fact that she's 11 and still green. She'll sell to someone who saw her at the sale, but they will want a trial to figure out what makes her tick.

    I can't find my suppliment-What did Itsy Bitsy Spider go for? I can't remember his hip number.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Glad Empire's Paris went to such a great home. She is such a lovely pony and with her breeding should be star. Congrats!
    Thank you. She is a darling pony. Her temperment couldn't be better. It's so nice when they are fancy and sweet too. You can tell she's had a great start.

    I wanted to leave her with our trainer Lauren Newmeyer on the way home so that she could play with her for a couple of weeks, but the girls cried and cried about not getting to take her home. After thinking about how I would have felt if I couldn't have my new pony when I was I kid, I decided that they were right, and we took her home so they could play with her instead.

    She's enjoying life here so far. She's been brushed and groomed and pampered so much already today that I'm pretty sure she'll go bald it it keeps up. I suspect that she'll be happy when Tuesday comes and the girls go to school. She can enjoy a little peace and quiet.



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul. 26, 2005
    Location
    Great Falls , VA
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I love to hear about a pony that is adored by her little girl. Congrats..she is a lovely, lovely pony!
    Kelly, Ballingard Grove
    If you tell the truth, then you don't have to remember anything. Mark Twain



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec. 26, 2003
    Location
    NC,USA
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    I can't find my suppliment-What did Itsy Bitsy Spider go for? I can't remember his hip number.
    He sold for $2400. We are sick over that! We regret not buying him



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct. 5, 2007
    Location
    Upstate, New York
    Posts
    175

    Default

    LLSC,

    I thought you were selling your green small to get a more made up one for your kids?

    Elissa



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etopolsk View Post
    LLSC,

    I thought you were selling your green small to get a more made up one for your kids?

    Elissa

    Oh my goodness, you sound just like my husband! He almost died when he heard that I bought a 3 year old. I went down there to look at two 11 year olds, but both turned out to be more green than this 3 year old. I don't need this pony right now, but she is so lovely that I bought her and I will let my trainer's daughter show her until I need her down the road. I'd never be able to afford her once she's made up.

    Here are some photos of Sophia and Paris from today and a video that is on youtube from her breeder.

    http://sports.webshots.com/photo/201...84673271iZzzXE

    http://sports.webshots.com/photo/291...84673271QyuWgi

    http://sports.webshots.com/photo/290...84673271medyOy

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJN1LGmBCwc

    I'm still in search of a great Short Stirrup packer, but the really good ones are so hard to come by because they just get passed from kid to kid within a barn. For now they will keep riding their old guy who is a bit big for them, and I'll continue to take them for their lessons once a week where Sophia can ride a small with a perfect small jump and when I find the right one I'll be set. It took me 2 years to find the old one I have now, so I'm not expecting to find anything right away, but perhaps I'll get lucky. Who knows, Paris has such a lovely temperment that she might make up faster than I dare hope and Sophia can show her.



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,373

    Default

    Seems like every year there is a hue and cry about how horrible the prices are at this particular sale. Why do breeders keep consigning to it??? We hear the same complaints every year about venue, etc, and yet the sale keeps going!

    I have to say though, those prices are just HORRIBLE. I can't even imagine letting ponies go for prices like that. Incredible. There must have been some seriously desperate sellers to let ponies go for prices like that.

    I don't, however, see it as a reflection on the current pony market in general, as I seem to be getting the normal amount of inquiries/sales for this time of year. Maybe even more inquiries than usual.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2004
    Location
    Virginia. We Do Ponies!
    Posts
    11,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony
    Seems like every year there is a hue and cry about how horrible the prices are at this particular sale. Why do breeders keep consigning to it??? We hear the same complaints every year about venue, etc, and yet the sale keeps going!

    I have to say though, those prices are just HORRIBLE. I can't even imagine letting ponies go for prices like that. Incredible. There must have been some seriously desperate sellers to let ponies go for prices like that.

    I don't, however, see it as a reflection on the current pony market in general, as I seem to be getting the normal amount of inquiries/sales for this time of year. Maybe even more inquiries than usual.
    Great post.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver, Equine Insurance Specialist



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Posts
    197

    Default

    I agree it was a bad weekend for the sale. Culpeper was going with tons of pony people and Warrenton too! That had to affect the turnout.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Virginia bred, Carolina transplant
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Wow, what a shame for the sellers but what an opportunity for the buyers! Wish I had been there.

    Windswept - did you consign Major Dilemma? Never mind - I found the catelog...
    Last edited by Halfhalting; Sep. 1, 2008 at 09:58 AM.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2005
    Location
    Floral City , Fl.
    Posts
    4,252

    Angry OMG!!!!

    Just got a call from a friend of mine who had two ponies in the sale. She had been trying to find out some info on who her ponies were sold to as another person hauled them there for her and sold them for her. They brought $250.00 a piece.
    The "other person" didnt seem to be able to give her any information.

    Flash forward to today. A lady calls her. She has one of her ponies(found her name from the coggins papers) and also another little bay pony. She found them in PA. at an auction frequented by the "killer" people. Since she is a pony person she recognized that these two did not belong at this type sale and bought them outside the sale from this man. The man said he got both of them from the Va. pony auction.

    Seems the little filly is quite beat up (lady is sending pictures). I am wondering if she rode in a stock trailer with others the man bought.

    Not trying to start a train wreck, and I know I am a bit vague on my facts, but I will know more later today. I just thought others should know this. It made my stomach sick.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb. 12, 2001
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    That's really sad.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2005
    Posts
    90

    Unhappy

    Sugarbrook, that is horrible news. I hope that those were the only ponies the man got a hold of. Thank God for the person that bought them at the PA auction.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2005
    Posts
    90

    Smile Congrats to Windswept and llsc

    Now on to more positive outcomes at the auction....congrats to Windswept and llsc on Empire's Paris. She is a lovely pony and your girls look so cute in the photos with her. She definately went to a great home!

    P.S. llsc, Kind of like you, I went to the Farnley Auction in July with the intention of buying a 4 year old or older....I ended up with a 2 year old! So, she went straight to Windswept's for some "kindergarten" time.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2004
    Location
    Virginia. We Do Ponies!
    Posts
    11,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook
    Just got a call from a friend of mine who had two ponies in the sale. She had been trying to find out some info on who her ponies were sold to as another person hauled them there for her and sold them for her. They brought $250.00 a piece.
    The "other person" didnt seem to be able to give her any information.

    Flash forward to today. A lady calls her. She has one of her ponies(found her name from the coggins papers) and also another little bay pony. She found them in PA. at an auction frequented by the "killer" people. Since she is a pony person she recognized that these two did not belong at this type sale and bought them outside the sale from this man. The man said he got both of them from the Va. pony auction.

    Seems the little filly is quite beat up (lady is sending pictures). I am wondering if she rode in a stock trailer with others the man bought.

    Not trying to start a train wreck, and I know I am a bit vague on my facts, but I will know more later today. I just thought others should know this. It made my stomach sick.
    When you & I were talking the other day, that thought ran through my mind..........how horrible.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver, Equine Insurance Specialist



  16. #56
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2006
    Posts
    65

    Default

    How sad. I was so worried about this since a lot of ponies went so cheap. I am glad these 2 have landed in better hands. What a sad few days they have had.



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2005
    Location
    Floral City , Fl.
    Posts
    4,252

    Default

    I will try to find out what "little bay pony" went home with this gal. So far my friend has not found her other little yearling.

    Funny thing, the auction question was the first thing my husband thought about, and I of course, dismissed it as something that could NOT HAPPEN!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies



  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2007
    Posts
    54

    Default

    anyone know how to get in touch with david dowler? he had several at the sale and I would like to contact him about one that didn't sell



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2004
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hescaught View Post
    anyone know how to get in touch with david dowler? he had several at the sale and I would like to contact him about one that didn't sell
    I talked to him after the sale. Due to the fact that he did not bring a trailer with him, only had a shipper ship the ponies down, he just sold them after the sale. I have his contact info if you want to still contact him about other ponies.



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2005
    Location
    Floral City , Fl.
    Posts
    4,252

    Default

    Yes, so sad for David. I heard he sold 4 in the parking lot for 100.00. Wonder where they went? Wonder if David knows?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies



Similar Threads

  1. ? For all you Jumper Breeders out there.
    By Oldenburg Mom in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
  2. Report from the USAE Breeders Committee
    By CM Frank in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 407
    Last Post: Aug. 10, 2003, 08:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness