The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 3.5 month weanling colt so calm?!?!

So, I have a 3 1/2 month old colt that just came to my farm. He was weaned not too long ago as the mare was sold. I know it's a bit young...poor guy. Anyway he's a TB X Paint (with TB in backround) and he's so calm. Got off trailer, went in stall, acted a little flighty for a minute then when to sleep. He comes to the door when I visit him but, otherwise stands sleeping. He shows no signs of sickness and came from a very small place. He acted normal for his age when we went to see him. Kicked up his heels when chased around the field, etc...that was a few days ago.

Today after a little while we put a halter on him, brushed him and dewormed him all very easily as if he were an older horse.

Should I be concerned or happy with my super calm guy?????

Sounds like almost all our babies. Don't worry, be happy!

Jennifer

Apreciate that someone has taken the time to "raise him right" if you will. Babies don't all have to be nutcases just because they are babies. He sounds like a sweetheart.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Default Thank goodness

Yes, the lady did a nice job with him. He's also been living with a 17.2 giant gelding that is very mellow.

I have very happy if this is the future him!!!!! Just want to make sure I shouldn't look out for anything strange. Thanks

My colt last year was calm, but then got "calmer" in that I never saw him playing anymore. I ran bloodwork on him and he was anemic. Put him on red cell and upped his protein and he was fine. Not wild, but certainly back to playing in a week.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but for a 3.5 month old colt to be that quiet seems a little too good to be true. I would definitely do some bloodwork on him just to be on the safe side and would also worry about ulcers since he was weaned early and has had to deal with quite a bit for being this young.

Good luck with him!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

We have had a few babies like that and a lot of good proper handling can make a for a wonderfully "calm" foal. Just remember though they are still young and can blow up still.

I had a filly, who sadly died, who was born mature. Honestly, from the first few hours after her birth she just "got it". She learned to lead from the first time we put a halter on her. Picking up feet, she fussed in a minor way with the farrier on the first hoof and then stood there, she was 2 months old (she died when she was 2.)5 months old.

She was a confident, but never cockie, filly. Her full sister, whom we own and is now 2, is also calm, understands what is being asked of her, mature, the whole shooting match.

We rescued an orphan in December 07. He was 6 days old when we got him. He has had a ton of handling b/c he was our only baby until the 08 foals arrived. At 8 months old he too behaves as a mature, well handled horse should behave.

Keep an eye on his poop! Early weaned foals are more suseptible to potentially dangerous bacterial infections and diarrhea is often the first sign, as is lethargy!
    Good for you to be concerned and hopefully he is just a very well behaved baby! It does happen!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Thanks everyone. I plan to have my vet run some blood anyway. I know foals can get ulcers too. He seems calm and when he went out he ran around with his new friends. His poop is a touch soft but, nothing major. He is also eating well. He's taken to my large pony mare and is content. Hopefully he's a just a mellow fellow!

Well...Buddy was weaned when his mother died a month ago. Today is his 4 month birthday....he is pretty quiet. In fact when he is in stall he is either eating hay, laying down sleeping or standing up sleeping...he goes out every night from 6pm-7am so he is in stall during heat of day. All of my horses are typically doing the same thing when inside.

When he is outside he is grazing...he doesnt play much...but he never really did. He used to climb on his mother and run around when he first went out but now he really doesnt even do that....I hope that doesnt mean he's sick! i just thought he was a good citizen!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE

Default FYI

All seems good with Joey. He is munching on hay happily in his stall, poop is perfect and he had a great day outside with his 2 new mothers. He chose my 3 yr. old large pony (by Sugarbrooks Hootie) as his mom while the other mare who was a broodie he did not want anything to do with and she was fine with that!!.

I think he's just a calm guy! I did schedule the vet for Wed. just to be safe. Thanks all for you opinions.

I am right up there with Siegi, ulcers would be my first concern, also "orphan" syndrome. When youngsters are weaned early they can get orphan like-good that you have him out with other horses! I had a filly that I had to wean early (4 months) when I lost her dam and to this day, she still has orphan like tendencies (no respect/get in your space, not much understanding for the difference between humans/horses). She ended up sick and stall bound for a month and I became her "person/mom?". Luckily the person who owns her, ADORES her and loves her quirkiness-she drove me crazy because she was always "into something" like unlocking stall doors and paddock gates!

Not trying to worry you but also watch for Lawsonia (sp?), evidently it strikes young horses (weaned under 6 months). I typically wean between 4 1/2-5 months which many consider early. Last year my colt's head got HUGE from eating weeds but at first we thought it was lawsonia (diarrhea is apparently one of the signs as well as swelling in the head), many vets are unaware of what it is and are very unfamiliar with it-my vet knew nothing about it when I asked him about it at the time. I believe it is treated similarly to rhodoccocus (sp!!)?

Quote Originally Posted by patch work farm View Post
    I am right up there with Siegi, ulcers would be my first concern, also "orphan" syndrome. When youngsters are weaned early they can get orphan like-good that you have him out with other horses! I had a filly that I had to wean early (4 months) when I lost her dam and to this day, she still has orphan like tendencies (no respect/get in your space, not much understanding for the difference between humans/horses). She ended up sick and stall bound for a month and I became her "person/mom?". Luckily the person who owns her, ADORES her and loves her quirkiness-she drove me crazy because she was always "into something" like unlocking stall doors and paddock gates!

Not trying to worry you but also watch for Lawsonia (sp?), evidently it strikes young horses (weaned under 6 months). I typically wean between 4 1/2-5 months which many consider early. Last year my colt's head got HUGE from eating weeds but at first we thought it was lawsonia (diarrhea is apparently one of the signs as well as swelling in the head), many vets are unaware of what it is and are very unfamiliar with it-my vet knew nothing about it when I asked him about it at the time. I believe it is treated similarly to rhodoccocus (sp!!)?
    He still is doing well. He really likes the mares he's out with. Still normal poop and behavior. He was a actually stubborn about leading today so maybe he's starting to act his age vet out in the AM for a check. Thanks!