The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default PH has "safety article" by Darren Chiacchia

in the latest issue, there is a "safety article" by Nancy Jaffer and Darren Chiacchia.

I will not send PH a nasty letter. I will not send PH a nasty letter. I will not send PH a nasty letter. I will not send PH a nasty letter. I will not send PH a nasty letter.

Hmmm, not working.

Feel free to discuss.

PH?

Never heard of it. Does it stand for Perpetuating Hypocrisy?

Question

Whattdoes the article say?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Well, JER, in "real life" it is Practical Horseman.

But who am I to say ?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Oh diddly doodly doo.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Ridiculous if you ask me just like a lot of stuff in that magazine. I just got a notice saying it was my last issue - um thanks but I will not be renewing .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Well, JER, in "real life" it is Practical Horseman.
    I like my version of PH better.

I recall reading PH sometime in, oh -- maybe it was 1995. But that's because I'm old enough to remember the 90s.

Did having a bad crash at Prelim suddenly make DC an expert on safety?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

You know, I read that article and I thought he pretty much gave some interesting ideas on how to at least look forward at ways to make your sport safer for horse and rider. It is a general discussion of what can be done to improve the safety NOW and into the future. Who cares who wrote the damn thing. When you all ride in the Olympics or at Rolex and win, then you can pontificate with some authority. Until then, ya'll are just ammies like the rest of us--fallible and human, full of error and mistake (as are the pros and top level riders--of every discipline).

I am not an eventer personally, I know many and have a good working knowledge of what it takes. I've followed some threads on here, and honestly...wow. You guys are just...well...not happy no matter what happens. I've avoided the embarrassing Olympics nastiness threads for the most part, but it seems you're happiest when someone crashes, dies, hurts, does something dumb, etc.

You all certainly have opinions and your right to share them is fine with me...but lordy, you sure like to wallow in it.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I don't mean this nastily, but I have been waiting all afternoon for a thread on that article to come up!
    T3DE Pact

OK, I agree that DC has been a poor example with his return to eventing in such short time after a horid injury, but does that make his completely inept at giving any kind of safety advice? Again, he isn't the best choice for teaching safe riding clinics and writing articles, but come on! As has been allready stated, he has had major success. If anything, his experience has probably given him a glimpse at what happens when you don't ride smartly. I don't defend his poor choice, and in fact am quiet angry at the USEA's attempt to glorify him with all these "heroic" articles and stories about his return. But I do say that he has the bare qualifications to teach us some amount of a safety lesson. If you want to make a change write an email or call presidents, representatives, chairmen/women, and ask why longer suspensions aren't required of competitors with serious injuries.
    The real problem, explained-
    http://equisearch.com/horses_riding_...408/index.aspx
    -Slickteam12brs

Or we can talk about how once again, he is talking out of both sides of his clockwork orange face......

So the guy who blames his horse for "getting distracted" and therefore causing a rotational fall (when it is the rider's responsibility to kick the horse off the ground), is explaining how to avoid that? He needs to watch Bruce's interview on ESPN and take responsibility for the ride (we are the pilots) or at the very least, "shut up", like he also said!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    ...When you all ride in the Olympics or at Rolex and win, then you can pontificate with some authority. Until then, ya'll are just ammies like the rest of us--fallible and human, full of error and mistake (as are the pros and top level riders--of every discipline).

Bullf#$ckingSh$t.

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read. Riding in the Olympics DOES NOT MAKE YOU A SAFETY EXPERT! DC can talk all he wants about riding and riding well but not about overall eventing safety and what it will take to increase the safety of the sport (outside his own experience).

This sport NEEDS REAL experts such as those used in the UK. No more crap from these so called "I'm and ULR so worship me." idiots.

Yes, DC may have some viable ideas but much of his effort is rendered moot by his own actions.

DC has joined the LA world of "blame the horse."

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    When you all ride in the Olympics or at Rolex and win, then you can pontificate with some authority.
    Would you say the same of these folks? They all rode at the Olympics this week.

Safety Expert #1
    Safety Expert #2
    Safety Expert #3
    Safety Expert #4

What we're all clamoring for -- and even putting our own real-world efforts into -- is REAL SAFETY in eventing. Not the appearance of safety or lip service to safety or press releases about safety.

I like the excuse that Amy Tryon gave when her horse went lame on X-Country and she continued to jump it as it became more and more lame until it completely ruptured all of the suspensory ligaments and then it had to be euthanazed at the event .... she blabbered something about thinking it had just stumbled and she couldn't feel that it was going lame ...

I'm sorry, but I've put thousands of miles in on various horses and I sure as hell know when my friggin' horse is going lame. Yeah, she got investigated and penalized and she admitted she messed up, but really ... I do not want that type of rider representing my country.

Darren doesn't impress me a whole lot either. Sorry. And Laine, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Would you say the same of these folks? They all rode at the Olympics this week.

Safety Expert #1
    Safety Expert #2
    Safety Expert #3
    Safety Expert #4

What we're all clamoring for -- and even putting our own real-world efforts into -- is REAL SAFETY in eventing. Not the appearance of safety or lip service to safety or press releases about safety.
    Using photos of modern pentathalon while a good attempt at trying to make a point, IMO does not make a totally valid point.

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;3467919]You know, I read that article and I thought he pretty much gave some interesting ideas on how to at least look forward at ways to make your sport safer for horse and rider. It is a general discussion of what can be done to improve the safety NOW and into the future. QUOTE]

It's not enough to just "talk the talk"...you've got to "walk the walk" or you are just another talking head.

Practice what you preach, Darren, and then you'll be taken seriously as a "safety expert".

Look, this sport got into trouble because it has been run by folks who were great riders but rather weak leaders, businessmen, and have little understanding of safety beyond riding well. Of course they are going to always say safety comes from the rider. That is ALL they know. Again the analogy is saying cars/roads do not need to be safer because it is the driver's responsibility. That is a very ignorant statement from a safety point of view.

It does not mean they have good points about horse and rider preparation. However, DC's article adds little to the ongoing conversation other than to make it look like he is part of it. Sure he is, because he is part of the administration but that is not valid either (see above paragraph).

There is another safety conversation going on behind the administration and the public. This conversation is being done by safety experts, researchers, veterinarians, doctors, and scientists. You don't read about those because most of that is geared to how to get FACT based data and REAL understanding of safety as it pertains to horses in eventing.

Reed

Okay- but what is a safety expert anyway?

As far as I can see in those photos- they are all practicing safety habits, helmets, boots, gloves. But, they had a bad moment (I have had plenty of those in my riding life....)

I do have the article, just not read it yet. But, I don't think that DC going back to "work" so soon is a sin. I rather appreciate it as a tax paying American who goes to work sometimes when I am not up to my best. YES- riding a horse over huge fences might be a tad diffferent I just don't think he is the horrid person that some want to make him out to be.

I agree it might be risky, but really, I am just not sure we are to know. Being back in the ICU, it's clear that everyone has a great difference in how they heal.

Everything I have seen seems to say he is taking it slow, easy and carefully. And it's clear he is not riding a zillion horses a day as some want to think- he double entered at Richland, and seems to have lost first by going verrrry slow. Good For Him.

I don't think his saying the horse got distracted was not his fault- I rather think he is saying that "crap happens, and I did not deal with it as well as I should have as his jockey".

I am trying to find an email I sent to my trainer that I want to share with you all- it's about a mistake I made and discussing those moments. You'al might hate me at the end, but, it shows why I am so darn willing to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Over the years, Darren and Amy (and I don't know them except for short meetings) have been good horse people, and I have great respect for them as such. If someone continues to make mistakes, and not learn from them, then, I have issues as you all know by now.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/