The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many have weight taped their horses?

With the thread about Onchocerca and double-dosing dewormer pastes based on horse's weight, I decided to check my "estimate"... WOW... I was surprized. My horses weigh around 100 pounds more than I thought. So as has been said more than once, most people probably DO underestimate.

About 10 years ago, when Purina first came out with Strategy, my QH was taped for weight as part of a study by Purina. At that time, he weighed 1050 and was in very good condition at age 10. Since then, I always estimated at 1050 - 1100. But when I measured the other day, he was in the 1130-1150 range. (I wasn't too far off - but obviously, I've been underdosing on dewormer and banamine paste when needed).

The MFT - chunk that he is at only 14.2 - 14.3 hands, was in the 1130 - 1170 range!! And he is probably 200 pounds less now, then when I bought him 8 months ago and I was using a 1200 pound dose.

The Yellow gaited horse (breed unknown) - I thought was about 900-950 at 14.1 - 14.2 hands, taped at 1050+.

So... the next time you buy dewormer, you might also want to buy a weight tape - if you don't already have one.

I've weight-taped all of mine.

I also use the ( ( (heartgirth x heartgirth) x length ) / 300 ) + 50 formula to compare. So, that's heartgirth squared, multiplied by the length from the point of the shoulder to point of the butt (NOT middle of chest like for a blanket measurement), divide all that by 300, and then add 50.

For my WB gelding, the weigh tape is pretty accurate, as I also had a scale weight to compare to. But I've known others where it's off.

The formula above was closer to the scale weight.

Even before I learned about the formula, or had any scale, I would round up the tape measurement to at least the next 100lb for deworming purposes. If all that put me in the 1250 range, then I'd give another 100-200lb from a second tube (assuming a 1250lb tube, but I've had big horses so I try not to bother with 1100lb tubes).

B/c of my easy keeper WB who tends to have laminitis flare ups, I have to weigh her once a week.

I usually put the tape on mine once a month or so .... while it may not be 100% accurate, it is useful for tracking changes.

When one of mine was weighed at the clinic prior to surgery, the scale was about 50 lbs more than the tape indicated, so I keep this factoid in my mind when I need to deal with weight for dosing.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Default JB

is that how weight taping is supposed to be done?

i weight taped my mare about 2 months ago for the first time. she was 1050 lbs. i always thought she was closer to 900 lbs. but that number was based solely on the girth measurement w/ the tape. your calculations sound more detailed. i have to try them.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Weight taping can get pretty off if the withers are abnormally high or low, or if the girth area is narrower than normal.

The calculation I gave is more representive, since the length measurement will also take into account how sprung the ribs are and how much meat is on the haunches.

The tape I used said to measure behind the withers and obviously, behind the front legs.

My QH has a shark fin wither... LOL... if I had included that, he would have been over 1300 pounds LOL...

JB - I'm gonna try your formula as well..

And as shotenstar said. the tape can be used for tracking purposes. EXCELLENT. I might even get a couple of them and mark each one for each horse...

Like I have nothing better to do... NOT.

Default Hay

I weight tape every time I worm. But I will try previous posters mathematical solution...however I'll need my calculator!

Thumbs up

The calculation also comes in very handy if you have horses that weigh over the tape measurements.

Smile

I tape every time I worm also. That means the youngsters get "weighed" every month. I always do it, with the weight tape, so my method of holding the tape keeps all things equal.
    I weighed my little pony with lamanitis all the time and each time we took him to the Univ of Fl. i was almost dead on with the weight!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    The tape I used said to measure behind the withers and obviously, behind the front legs.
    Keep in mind the "heartgirth" measurement is to be taken RIGHT behind the elbows. So, it includes the full wither height as well. Remember to do the length from the point of the shoulder, not the center of the chest, to the point of the butt.

And as shotenstar said. the tape can be used for tracking purposes. EXCELLENT. I might even get a couple of them and mark each one for each horse...

Like I have nothing better to do... NOT.
    LOL. Yep, the tapes are great for this, as long as you measure in the same place every time.

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    The calculation also comes in very handy if you have horses that weigh over the tape measurements.
    I know! The last time my vet was here to set me up with some Estradiol, she weight-taped him. But then she got to doing some other things and she said "how much did I say he weighed"? I answered - all of the tape

Here's a link to a site, complete with diagrams, on the "heartgirth X heartgirth X length divided by 330 =weight" method as discussed above. Scroll down the page about half way. There's a good bit of university research that suggests this method is very accurate.

http://www.admani.com/allianceEquine...%20Scoring.htm

My 16.2 mare tapes at 1250, but on actual scales weighs 1490.

My pony had weighted 100 lbs more on the scale than the tape on both times I have been able to put her on a scale. She's a 13.3h old style Morgan. She keeps telling me muscle weighs more than fat.

tarragon and pricestory, you should do the above calculation and see how close that is to your weighed weight

I can do it but hope she has lost some weight since the scale, and I don't have access to a scale these days. I will just to see. By the tape, she has lost about 30-40 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post

My QH has a shark fin wither... LOL... if I had included that, he would have been over 1300 pounds LOL...

I have always known "heart-girth" to be measured behind the withers also. You measure at a slant to behind the elbows, where the girth would go.
    "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
    or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Here's a link to a site, complete with diagrams, on the "heartgirth X heartgirth X length divided by 330 =weight" method as discussed above. Scroll down the page about half way. There's a good bit of university research that suggests this method is very accurate.

http://www.admani.com/allianceEquine...%20Scoring.htm
    This site has very good info. Thanks

I weight taped one of mine, and then had an opportunity to put him in a digital equine scale a few weeks later....about a 200# difference! So I don't put a lot of stock in the tapes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I weight taped one of mine, and then had an opportunity to put him in a digital equine scale a few weeks later....about a 200# difference! So I don't put a lot of stock in the tapes anymore.
    Was the difference more or less? The inches on the other side aren't correct either.