The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

For several years some time ago, a group in Northeast Ohio sponsored (or somehow managed to put on) a Modern Pentathlon. Prince Albert of Monaco always came! A friend and I used to make the trip so she could compete. She was a terrific rider, and trained hard to become competitive in the other four phases. A few of the others were good riders, including Prince Albert, but most were of the same calilber as what you saw at the Olympics. For most of the horses it was a very tough day, to say the least.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Aug. 23, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    For several years some time ago, a group in Northeast Ohio sponsored (or somehow managed to put on) a Modern Pentathalon. Prince Albert of Monaco always came! A friend and I used to make the trip so she could compete. She was a terrific rider, and trained hard to become competitive in the other four phases. A few of the others were good riders, including Prince Albert, but most were of the same calilber as what you saw at the Olympics. For most of the horses it was a very tough day, to say the least.
    What's sad is that riding, unlike the other sports, puts an animal's well-being at risk when an ignorant person is involved, whereas for the most part the other sports can only harm the ignorant athlete him/herself.

I watched four random men (slid the bar over and started watching). Two fell off, the other two made me want to beat them with their crop.

I have never seen such bad riding in my life and these poor horses are saints. They are trying to jump with a lump on their back and their face being totally ripped off.

Does this sport really allow you to fall off, get back on and keep going?

These poor horses! these riders look like theyve never jumped anything more than 2' in their lives-----oh right, a 2' log that was in the way on their trail rides!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    Any chance of at least getting them to lower the jumps to say 3'?

While too many of the riders were bullying them around, I was thankful to see a few pat their horses kindly at the end of their ride.

That french guy who crashed was very lucky considering he was hung up in the stirrup with the horse kicking out at him. Luckily he broke loose. However, he did seem like a really poor sport when he did get up . . . jerk.
    To be fair, he DID get kicked in the face. I imagine that would put most folks in a sour mood.

There's some irony that they enter the ring to circus music.

Quote Originally Posted by ef80 View Post
    There's some irony that they enter the ring to circus music.
    Yes, indeedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I dont know if I'm happy or sad that I can't get the video to load......

What bothered me the most if the fact that the riders were wearing spurs and carrying crops! NONE were even qualified to carry them. The Chinese rider in the ladies round was actually a decent rider. But several of them could not have been decent rider's over fences under ANY circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by imapepper View Post
    All of those horses had to be presented over the course to a jury before they are accepted for the draw. The jury ride is done by real riders. If the horse looks dangerous or doesn't look capable of jumping around, the jury will dismiss it. Every horse that was in that competition jumped around that course a bunch of times before the athletes sat on them.
    Wow -- that makes a big difference. Poor horsies. . . They also looked very small for most of the riders.

You all are being pretty rough and, in my opinion, obnoxious. How many of you can get around a 4' show jumping course on your own horse, never mind on one you just saw 20 minutes before the round started?

I'm betting none of you.

Then throw in the fact that I bet you can't run 3k, swim 200m, or even hit a target once from 10 meters.

There is no other event in the Olympics that has one athlete compromises another athlete (the horse). Equestrian events have historically been a team event between horse and rider, this is anything put.

As far as the horses that refused, they are the smart ones! I saw too many horses being punished for saving their riders from crashing through fences.

It is just shocking that this is actually a part of the Olympics. This absolutely falls under the definition of abuse! Anyway we can rally together to files completes to USEF or the Olympic Committee? This event needs to be shutdown.

Unhappy

Modern Pentathalon Riding Event = IHSA Circus on steroids.

Default Wow...

This event is unlikely to be shut down, as it was created solely for the Olympics. I doubt that the American competitors (who did as fair a job as could be expected) would appreciate folks trying to shut down their sport. Each of them comes from a riding background.

I mentioned on another thread that the MP needs to be reevaluated for many reasons, and in many ways. The current format clearly has flaws since this most recent outing was so disasterous. But you are just as likely to find that type of riding at any h/j show or event. I know I have seen plenty of jumper rounds (and hunter rounds as well) that have been just as awful. This is just in the national spotlight, and there will always be those who try to compete above their level, which is compounded by the "luck of the draw, minimal prep-time" aspect of the riding phase.

It's a bit hypocritical to worry about how eventing and other horse sports (racing, steeplechase, fox hunting, polo, etc) are viewed...to have endless discussions about how to fix "your" sport...and then to outright condemn a different horse sport that you may have little knowledge of.

Not all MP look like what you saw the past couple of days...there were several factors involved and the riders are only a part of the problem.
    Last edited by bookwormdude; Aug. 22, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Random capitalization!

Unhappy

HMF, I agree. Elghund, I must respectfully disagree. No qualified horseman, let alone animal handler, would condone the abuse that I saw. Mind you, I only watched the first 7 or 8 competitors go, but the atrocities I watched even with the first few riders should not be happening at the OLYMPIC level. (What does this mean for other levels?) The riders are totally unqualified to be riding in this type of event.

I am the first to admit-no, I don't ride at the 4' level; I've been riding at least 10 yrs and I'm still not quite there. BUT, what are these riders qualifications? They appear to have no basics whatsoever-lying to the horse constantly, (I can't see but ...) most likely spurring the horse obliviously, using the whip in an uneducated manner, and doing what George Morris and most educated riders consider a cardinal sin-hitting the horse in the mouth, PUNISHING the horse for jumping. Repeatedly.

Where's the sport in that? How does it make you feel for these people to be representing our sport and having it be broadcast worldwide?

Quote Originally Posted by Elghund2 View Post
    You all are being pretty rough and, in my opinion, obnoxious. How many of you can get around a 4' show jumping course on your own horse, never mind on one you just saw 20 minutes before the round started?

I'm betting none of you.

Then throw in the fact that I bet you can't run 3k, swim 200m, or even hit a target once from 10 meters.
    Is that really all they have to do? run 5 miles, swim 4 laps and learn to shoot. Wow - I think I may be able to be an Olymipian after all.

And I don't think we are being rough on their riding at all- or not rough enough any way. According to previous posters, not only had those horses been choosen by a selection committee - the horses had already been schooled over that course a few times. Yup, I bet the vast majority of the posters on this board could manage to grab mane and stay out of the way on a horse that had already been schooled around the course way better than the few in the clips I could stand to watch.

I actually think some of the posts have been way to rough on those horses - most of them looked like saints for putting up with that. I'm impressed the Olympic committee was able to find that many kind / tolerant horses.

Plus, I don't think those jumps even looked 4 feet. I'm guessing the that "four foot" is aka 3'6" or 3'9".

Quote Originally Posted by Elghund2 View Post

I'm betting none of you.

I agree that there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions, especially those calling the sport as a whole cruel and calling for it to be shut down. I also agree that most couldn't even attempt to do what the athletes are doing out there. However, the challenge of the equestrian segment to is put in a solid show jumping round with jumps up to 4'. Much like the IHSA, sometimes you draw a horse that isn't that compatible with you and you have to make the best of the situation. I mentioned on another thread that I think they need to reorder the sequence of the events and put the riding first.

For one thing, the athletes will not have fenced 25 rounds and just finished toweling off from the swimming phase, so they are not going to be as tired. They will be better prepared for the unexpectedness that will surely come up when riding a strange horse for the first time. As well, the way the MP is structured, it is extremely important that participants do well early in the event. Their score after the first 4 phases determines their "pole position" in the race at the end of the event. There are probably many athletes that spend more time practicing their marksmanship and fencing since those initial scores determine their placing early on. If they had to ride first, they'd probably be more inclined to put in a careful round to maximize points, not just try to get through the course.

I do think 4' is too much to ask...I doubt many of the riders are able to practice as much as others who jump at that level. Especially since they have to practice in 4 other disciplines and probably hold down a job as well! I think 3' would still be a challenge, but one that is safer for all participants (2 and 4-legged). It's all about being a well-rounded athlete, and being able to jump 3' is something that is beyond the scope of any non-rider (and a good many who do ride).

I believe the IMP is looking at addressing the concerns...for so many to do so poorly speaks to a problem that must be resolved.

Wow...

I'm watching it now, and I feel sooo awful for those horses. I'm all for disciplining a dirty stop, but the first guy was whacking that horse HARD and it was 100% the riders mistake! How can you expect the poor horse to jump like that?

I do hope that some people watched the other equestrian events just to see a good working relationship between horse and rider.

While I don't think the entire sport should be cut, I think it needs some serious modifications-for the horse and riders sake.

Quote Originally Posted by JessandLoki View Post
    Wow...

I'm watching it now, and I feel sooo awful for those horses. I'm all for disciplining a dirty stop, but the first guy was whacking that horse HARD and it was 100% the riders mistake! How can you expect the poor horse to jump like that?

I do hope that some people watched the other equestrian events just to see a good working relationship between horse and rider.

While I don't think the entire sport should be cut, I think it needs some serious modifications-for the horse and riders sake.

This sport actually has had a couple modifications since it's origination. The sport originally required the athletes to ride an unfamiliar horse over natural obstacles (cross country) which I can only imagine was very scary.

And if you watch, there are a few riders that do a reasonable job getting their horses around but there aren't many. From what I remember, many of the athletes (not the US athletes because I know their training program consists of several rides per week) don't ride very often for fear of injury and count on strong scores in other areas to make up for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by imapepper View Post
    This sport actually has had a couple modifications since it's origination. The sport originally required the athletes to ride an unfamiliar horse over natural obstacles (cross country) which I can only imagine was very scary.

And if you watch, there are a few riders that do a reasonable job getting their horses around but there aren't many. From what I remember, many of the athletes (not the US athletes because I know their training program consists of several rides per week) don't ride very often for fear of injury and count on strong scores in other areas to make up for the ride.

Judging by the way some of those horse crashed into the obstacles and took down multiple poles, I do not want to see them ride over solid fences anytime soon!

I think it IS a tough sport(and I give major kudos to the people who did get around the course decently-MAJOR kudos) - most serious equestrian competitors(olympic riders speak for themselves-people who are competing at 4' would be considered serious in my book) ride 6-7x weekly and often times they ride more than once daily if you factor in the horses they may be training for clients or their other hopefuls-it's a conscious lifestyle choice.

As far as preventing injury..I would imagine not practicing and settling for ripping around as dangerously as some of them do would be more likely to cause injury than practicing more often lol!