The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Modern Pentathalon Riding Event = IHSA Circus on steroids.
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    "Wear a helmet...because your skull isn't as thick as your parents think it is"

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHeartsMe View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
    me too LMAO, I went to it online and was SHOCKED that is really scary. There has to be a better way for these people to compete if they insist on riding.

Wink Modern Pentathlon

I know that most of the Chinese horses are Thoroughbreds and not what most people are used to riding. As previously posted, they are much more "flighty", etc. The fences were around 3'6" - 3'9". My daughter rode in China some last summer and was a working student in the past, as well as riding on an IHSA team. She enjoyed the horses, but one of her friends that was a working student with her hated them, as she had ridden mostly warmbloods. So, they are not the easiest of horses to ride to begin with.

We know the trainer in charge of the Chinese team and he is a wonderful horseman and fabulous rider! We have seen him work miracles with quite a few horses. He came from Holland originally and then was in Florida for some time. I am sure that the particular horses are not his choice and that as they said - the jury checks the horses to be sure they are capable of the courses and are sound. What I can't believe is that the riders did not stop if the horses were hurt, etc. Obviously, they have no concern for the welfare of the horse. Hong Kong is strange in and of itself, with no horses being allowed in or out - so that adds another dimension to things too. Then, when you add the weather on top of it..............

I think they should take this part of the Pentathlon out of the Olympics - for the safety of everyone - horses and riders. I can't see that it adds anything to the "sportsmanship" and is just plain dangerous for all concerned. Maybe some of those people never rode - who knows? Let's all write letters in that regard - that they take that part out of the Olympics..........it would be a very worthwhile endeavor! If they leave it in, the riders should have to give a biography of what, where, and when they have ridden to be checked out by the Olympic officials.

Where should we send our letters? I am sure that I am not as eloquent as the earlier poster, but can get the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by juniormom View Post
    Hong Kong is strange in and of itself, with no horses being allowed in or out - so that adds another dimension to things too. Then, when you add the weather on top of it..............
    Riding phase of pentathlon was in mainland, not HK.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Talking Modern Pentathlon

You are right - I was thinking about the showjumping, etc. Still, I know they used tb's and not that many people are accustomed to riding them anymore. It would be good to do away with this phase of he pentathlon and find something else to replace it. Ultimate frisbee perhaps? How about sack or potato races? Surely we could come up with some ideas...... I know - stick horse races!! (The better you decorate your stick horse, the more points you get!) Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesmiz_07 View Post
    Does anyone know where you can view this online? My vet's son (Sam Sacksen) competed in the pentathlon and placed 7th in the riding phase (got 18th over all, which wasn't too bad) but I wasn't able to find it on any of the main networks.
    \
    He was definatly one of the better riders.
    I wasent awful to watch him ride that horse around, I think he did a good job.

Here's a thought...

Since the MP was designed to demonstrate the military officer's prowess across the requirements of battle, and since horses haven't been part of the active military for eons (except for the guys in Afghanistan riding the mountains in search of you-know-who)...

They could replace the riding portion with an Extreme Humvee Driving Course... against the clock, all kinds of conditions and obstacles, and pop-up targets to obliterate with the guns.

I'm sure at least 7/8ths of those participating would be relieved to never have to sit on a horse again. And I'm sure 100% of horses would be relieved to never have to pull Olympic duty.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

MHJ- You've got it! And it'd probably be more of a crowd-pleaser too!
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/