The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunting/Eventing

I know that this has been asked before, but it wasn't specific enough.

Who do you know is combining hunting and eventing in their daily riding?

I have heard that the O'Conners are a good for a hunting day every season or so. But this is not what I am inquiring about.

I want to know if there is any one else who is averaging 25+ days of hunting per season and competing an event horse.
    The more we look for that perfect spot, the harder it is to find.

I know of several people that are hunting at least 15-20 days with their eventers during the season. None are big names but one hunts are * horse and I know of a couple others that are going prelim.

Thumbs up How about.....

Bruce Davidson! I recall reading he was the fieldmaster for Mr. Stewarts Cheshire Foxhounds in Penn. right?!!

Wasn't one of the past Olympic Team members competing in the Centennial Fox Hunting Championships?

I'd love to make a list, especially including the lesser known names.
    And Mr. Davidson is good name to top the list, but is he still competing?
    If there are any staff that are eventing, then they should be included, too.

Julie Gomena (former Rolex winner): Hunts with Piedmont
    Linden Ryan (formerly Weisman): Whip for Snickersville
    Nina Fout

Those are the only ones that I can recall off the top of my head, but I know there are MANY more not so BNR's that event a lot and foxhunt.

Juliet Graham was hunting regularly with Piedmont.

Becky Holder, 3-Day participant in Beijing, grew up hunting with Fort Leavenworth, and earned her colors there I'm told. Don't know how often she hunts presently.

Bruce Davidson certainly used to take the field at Mr. Stewart's (I can say with a straight face that my team beat he and Carol and Buck, on a pony at the time, in hunt teams at WIHS in 1988, Bruce may have been on JJ Babu in the class but my memory could be flawed on that), but more recently it may be Bruce Miller, steeplechase trainer.

More than once, hunting in Virginia, guests in the field included members of the Irish 3-Day team. I can't recall their names just now but they did liven up the proceedings.

Stephen Bradley hunted regularly with Loudoun/Loudoun West when I hunted there.

Denise Rath hunted regularly with Bull Run on her eventers back in the late 1980s.

There are lots of eventers that hunt. If they have a hunt horse. They generally don't hunt on their event horses. Mine, well, he would last 10 seconds with all the horses and riders running around. He doesn't like chaos!
    In light of this topic, I think it would be good to advertise some trail rides/hunt trials/paces on some eventing calendar to let us know. I have no idea where you guys post this stuff but would love to enter in some.

I whip-in on my event horse. Have competed through Prelim and CCI*, currently at training. He has hunted 8 seasons, essentially every weekend. He was also a finalist at the Centennials and we won the Most Suitable award there.

Whipping-in suits him very well. He is great by himself. Much less patient in the field.

All of my event horses go hunting. My best horse, a 17.2 hand Oldenburg/TB mare, has hunted seven seasons all over the East coast, was 8th at the Morven Park CCI * with my daughter last fall. The mare has qualified the first day hunting of every N.A. Field Hunter Champs she has ever entered.

I find that hunting makes my eventers braver and more confident with the new tougher courses being built these days in the Mid-Atlantic.

Eventing makes my hunters more rideable.

Rosemarie
    www.virginiafieldhunters.com

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    In light of this topic, I think it would be good to advertise some trail rides/hunt trials/paces on some eventing calendar to let us know. I have no idea where you guys post this stuff but would love to enter in some.

Check out the new website www.foxhuntva.com

It has a calendar where hunts are beginning to put up theri trail rides etc.

I whip-in for the Old Chatham Hunt as well as event at the novice/training level. It gets tough during formal season with the scheduling, but I would say that I am at 95% of all hunts and roadings. I do not, however, hunt and event the same horse. I used to do that, but now I have a little 4WD staff horse and a loffly queen bee mare who events. (plus my old guy who loves to ride to hounds, but I just wouldn't forgive myself if he got hurt again )
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Unfortunately, I've been hearing eventers spouting the same line as the show hunters - "my eventer/hunter is too valuable to hunt".

Quote Originally Posted by Elghund2 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've been hearing eventers spouting the same line as the show hunters - "my eventer/hunter is too valuable to hunt".

Not too valuable to hunt....but don't want to get them hurt. Hunting and eventing are not mutually exclusive but not all event horses want to hunt and not all hunt horses want to event. Also, many riders do not want to risk hurting a good event horse taking them hunting JUST as much as why risk hurting your good hunt horse eventing if their job is being a hunt horse. But there are a lot of things about hunting that are good for an event horse just as there are good things about eventing for a hunt horse.....but I consider doing both more important for a youngster than once I have a horse far enough along to be established in their job (either as a hunt horse or event horse). If that is your only horse or it is the off season (but the horse is done with their vacation)...that may be a different story.

But there are a lot of event riders that hunt just as there are a lot of fox hunters that event.....I wish I had time to fox hunt but unfortunately, the meet times and my work schedule don't mesh well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Interesting that most of the people mentioned are in the past.
    I'm looking for people who are doing it today, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Outfox View Post
    Interesting that most of the people mentioned are in the past.
    I'm looking for people who are doing it today, 2008.

I've seen Jane Sleeper out hunting...and she usually has some students with her. I'm pretty sure Julia Steinberg hunts. I know a few others who are staff for their hunts down in VA. It really isn't unusual to find people who do both.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Cathy Henderson in Dexter, Michigan, hunts regularly with the Waterloo Hunt on her event horses. One or more of her students are usually with her, as is her youngest daughter on her amazing eventing pony, and daughter's best friend on HER amazing eventing pony (they're both in the first flight and have been for years!).

Cathy likes to keep her horses fit and expose them to all kinds of stimulus out in the field. She thinks fox hunting is a great cross training exercise and based on her and her students' successes in eventing, I have to agree!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Not too valuable to hunt....but don't want to get them hurt. Hunting and eventing are not mutually exclusive but not all event horses want to hunt and not all hunt horses want to event. Also, many riders do not want to risk hurting a good event horse taking them hunting JUST as much as why risk hurting your good hunt horse eventing if their job is being a hunt horse. But there are a lot of things about hunting that are good for an event horse just as there are good things about eventing for a hunt horse.....but I consider doing both more important for a youngster than once I have a horse far enough along to be established in their job (either as a hunt horse or event horse).
    Yep. I would love to hunt my event horse every once in a while because it would be good for our partnership, but I simply cannot afford for her to get hurt, and she's a tad accident prone...
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Default I hunt my eventer

I hunt about 20 times a year. I regularly hunt a horse that also events.

One of our Whipper-ins has evented prelim. One of her hunt horses is a retired eventer.

Another of our members hunts a retired eventer. He was champion at the AEC in training and was Amateur Horse of the Year at Prelim.

Another member hunts his eventer, he has the added feature of being an amputee but he still shoes horses, hunts and events.

We have several other members that hunt a lot and event at local unrecognized.

We also have a couple of members that event very actively and hunt very little.

One of our former huntsman's events now. Doesn't hunt much anymore though.

I think Ft. Leavenworth in KS has a lot of eventers as members.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted