The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Patent leather bridles

How well do they hold up to everyday use? As in, do they polish up and keep their shine easily, or does the patent wear away never to be shiny again?

I have a bridle with a patent leather browband that I've had since March/April. I take pretty good care of my tack but the browband is starting to look dingy and have been looking for a new browband that I can put on for shows.

I would keep any patent leather for shows only. It is easily marked up. You can polish it up to make it look good, but small pieces such as bridle parts are much harder to polish than boots.

If you are looking for a bridle that will be able to do double duty as a schooling and show bridle, I would go for a nice oiled leather. It will be durable enough for everyday use (with proper care of course) and will still clean up nicely for shows. I just swap out the browband on mine, plain for every day and crystals for shows.

I've gotten tons of compliments on my bridle, and it is just a basic bridle from Dover. I currently have this browband to go with it, but I would love to get one of http://www.pearlbridleart.com/. So pretty!
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I have a brow band lined in patent leather on the back and edged in patent on the front. So the padding is patent. I use it everyday and it cleans up beautifully. And thinking about having a nose band made with black patent padding also

Years ago I remember some driving folks using petroleum jelly to polish up the patent leather.

Other than that I don't know what you use.

In saddleseat land, where patent browbands are common, they are used for shows only to keep them in good condition. You can be crafty and sew a flannel cover for the browband if you want to school in it occasionally, but you won't want to use it for everyday schooling. You can use vaseline to polish it up a bit before going in the ring, but keep in mind that the vaseline will attract dust, so it's better to just keep your patent in good condition.
    Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

I have a patent noseband on my bridle and I LOVE it. I don't ride in my double every day, but it's certainly well used, and it looks brand new. I've had it not quite a year. I just buff with a soft cloth.

Right horse has one from Horze and it's gorgeous. Two years and several months (?) old and it's stunning, still. I just wipe with soft cloth and condition the rest with Lederbalsam. Sometimes a little gets on the patent part-no biggie.

He is ridden in it 5 hours each week. It's his show and schooling bridle and it looks brand new. I think it cost $100 tops.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I think they're ugly personally.... I have friends that use them only at shows though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    In saddleseat land, where patent browbands are common, they are used for shows only to keep them in good condition. You can be crafty and sew a flannel cover for the browband if you want to school in it occasionally, but you won't want to use it for everyday schooling. You can use vaseline to polish it up a bit before going in the ring, but keep in mind that the vaseline will attract dust, so it's better to just keep your patent in good condition.
    Saddlebred person here: I've never done that. I use patent leather browbands on a daily basis. I clean them with Armor All.

I have a double that I've had a few years that I use every day and for shows and looks great and is easy to clean.

Windex works great for patent leather. I don't have one, but covet one. Someday!

Another saddlebred person who didn't specifically not use a patent leather browband. My full bridle always had patent browband, my snaffle/driving/work bridle did not.

Pledge works pretty well to clean up patent. My Navy uniform shoes were Corfam (fake patent) - I picked up the Pledge tip from someone I worked with who didn't like shining shoes either.

Turtle Wax for patent leather; it's what the Hallamore Clydesdale grooms use when cleaning the patent leather harnesses. They use it on the regular leather, too.
    RIP my beautiful Lola, ????–August 29, 2014

Thanks for the input. If my mare decides that she likes the Baucher bit I have ordered for her, I won't be able to use my black Micklem and will have to get another bridle (to match the saddle of course!). I am oddly attracted to this one, http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/1050129.html. Although I hate the browband, and it would be hard to find something to replace it with.

I would highly recommend the Passier Apollo bridle from Smartpak. Patent noseband and browband (browband is a wave and is blinged out). Has a crank noseband and the leather is great. If you have a warmblood, would also recommend getting the largest size possible, its runs small. The reins are on the shorter side which I didn't like at first but now I love. I think price is $289? with free shipping both ways. That is the most I have ever paid for a bridle but the only other options were some shumacher bridles that were $800 (for a snaffle!). The patent does show fingerprints more but buffing the leather works great. Hope you find a good one!