The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Another good catalog

Is Horse Health USA. They also have a website www.horsehealthusa.com

Lots of supplements, Weaver Halters, buckets, etc. I've made several order with them, without any problems, fast shipping too!
    Debbie

The greatest invention for saving money for me has been the internet. I can literally shop for the same item in 6 different stores in less than 5 minutes. I very rarely, if ever, buy anything at full price anymore. To wit - I needed a shirt for a show this weekend, found one last Saturday and it was here on Thursday - enough time to try it on and launder it - and it was on sale! Generally I have found that most of the what I call 'Mom and Pop' tack stores have GREAT customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    As for Stateline, I ordered from them once after they changed hands. The transaction was very unorganized and "hiccupy", their website is always in some state of mass chaos and confusion it seems. Descriptions in the wrong places, items showing up like 10 times for the same thing, broken links, etc, etc. I think they need to hire a different webmaster or something..
    I agree.

It is obvious the site is now maintained by the same people who maintain the horse.com site. It is scary really.

I believe Millers is now part of the Dover operation, like Smith Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    I believe Millers is now part of the Dover operation, like Smith Brothers.
    Yes, both Miller's and Smith Bros. are owned by Dover.

I try to avoid State Line and Country Supply (horse.com), but sometimes low prices just plain win out (fly spray and wormers, and SLT is the ONLY place that had the very pretty saddle pad I wanted).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrsnaround View Post
    Is Horse Health USA. They also have a website www.horsehealthusa.com

Lots of supplements, Weaver Halters, buckets, etc. I've made several order with them, without any problems, fast shipping too!
    Oh yeah. I forgot them. Their website has a TON of useful information and their prices and shipping are good.

Quote Originally Posted by CB/TB View Post
    I very seldom have to buy any tack any more, after years and several horses. Hopefully my old kieffer will last me. Several bridles, halters, blankets, pads, etc in various sizes keep me well stocked. I have used Dover - for closeout stable supplies, and also KV Vet. My local store, ALLIES, although 99% western now, still carries products I use and need all the time and will match any catalog price. Equine Affaire is coming up and I've started my wish list. It seems I own all the equipment I'll ever need, but I can usually find something I don't need , but can't live without! I check prices and if I can get a deal there, I buy.

LOVE Allies!!!
    I'm with you on EA too...grat place to shop if you know what you're looking for and how much the "retail" is

I haven't ordered from Libertyville SaddleShop in years, but they always had a good selection of tack beyond the basics. They weren't the fastest shippers in the world, but I always enjoyed looking through their catalogs. http://www.saddleshop.com/

Ah hem...pssst, I know of an awesome store, english and western, new and used. Excellent prices. Pretty cool website too... superior customer service, blah, blah.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Thumbs up I love Dover

I guess I'm the minority here, but I love Dover.

Only place I can find anything I'm looking and with so many different choices. Never had a problem with them, and since I'm close (in CT) the shipping is fabulous. Order usually arrives within a few days.

I don't think Dover has a monopoly. They are very good at keeping themselves in your mind, and for us who live near the stores, they ARE convenient (though, about 80% of the time, the store doesn't have what I ran there to get ). However, there are lots to choose from.

I, personally, have been pleased with Smartpak and have started to turn to them more and more for our needs. I will also shamelessly admit to making a Smartpak order for Neigh to be shipped to my mom, and spoiling he and his pal royally in the process of making the order.

BoB is good, especially if you are an eventer. There is Dressage Extensions for dressage riders or those who need something froo-froo. Almost every local shop has a website now, some better than others. VTO Saddlery has a great website. A lot of manufacturers have their own sites they sell through (Bobby's English Tack) FarmVet is great and pretty inexpensive for supplies, and I use Froogle when I am looking for some things (for instance, lots of tack shops and catalogs carry my clippers, but not the replacement blades. I use Froogle to find deals on them).

I'm not much for digging around online, but I can come up with LOTS of shopping pretty easily when I want to. Doing a little legwork isn't that hard when it comes to shopping.

Even f

Maybe one reason for Dovers higher prices are that they help sponsor horse shows and clinics and of course they advertise a lot. I get a catalog several times a year. The cost to make them and mail them can not be cheap. There are hundreds of tack shops out there, they save money by not producing a catalog. Thats why you never hear about them. Dover has to pay for all that advertising and sponsoring some how, and passing the price to the consumer is a sure way of getting some of that expense back. But on the other hand if they did not sponsor the events, then that would be harder on the show commities to come up with more funds. I personally don't shop Dover very often. It is hard to pay a higher price and shipping charges for something you can find cheaper and for free shipping some where else. With todays economy it is more important than ever to find the best deals.

I am not a fan of Dover. They make things difficult for local stores. Because of Dover's size, they can make 'bulk" deals with manufacturers that local stores cannot. This makes it hard for your local store to compete. Too many people order from Dover, rather than support their local stores, because they think they are getting a better deal. Don't forget about shipping! Most local stores, to keep your business and for the relationship, will usually match the Dover price on CURRENT merchandise. Just ask.

Also, don't forget that when a Dover opens in your STATE, you will have to start paying sales tax on all catalog orders.

Please, please...support your local tack store. They know your area, they are your friends and they need our support.

Well said luckles

I have seen so many tack shops close because they could not compete with the big boys. There's nothing like seeing and trying on what you want to buy first. Plus I love to browse There has been several times I have been disappointed when I recieved my merchandise. Then I have to go to the trouble of sending it back

Does Dover know or really care that people are unhappy w/ the high shipping costs? While I enjoy getting the catalog, I never order from them. I would rather support the smaller on line shops and local feed & tack stores. I have never had issues w/ Dover, but prefer the "little guys."

Quote Originally Posted by tbracefan View Post
    Well said luckles

I have seen so many tack shops close because they could not compete with the big boys. There's nothing like seeing and trying on what you want to buy first. Plus I love to browse There has been several times I have been disappointed when I recieved my merchandise. Then I have to go to the trouble of sending it back
    As much as I would love to support local tack stores, those that are in my immediate area rarely carry the products I need; ie. supplements. I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience of local - but I really have to draw the line at significantly higher for straps goods.

We had a tack store open up just day before yesterday here! Everyone is so excited as the next closest tack store is 100 miles away! I think the price of fuel has skewed things so much. I can certainly justify spending quite a bit more at a local tack shop vs. driving 200 miles. You just have to sit down and look at the numbers....

There are TONS of catalogs depending on what you are looking for:

Dover
    Smartpak
    Bit of Britain
    Dressage Extensions
    Wild Horsefeathers
    Rods Western Wear
    State Line
    Country Supply
    Jeffers
    Valley Vet
    KV Vet
    Farm Vet (holy love, batman)

There are tons more- they just don't tend to swamp you with catalogs like Dover does. You have to save them!

Quote Originally Posted by tbracefan View Post
    Well said luckles

Using the local guys only works if you HAVE a local tack shop- or at least one that doesn't cater to the very low, low end shoppers. The only time I shop at my local shop is for grooming sprays/products/bootsocks- and once I forgot my breeches at home (1hr + away) so I bought a pair that were ridiculously overpriced.

Tiffany fairfield Guest

I have to say I love dover

Like i said before i live in jakarta indonesia and they are the only ones that can get things right and have everything i need and if they dont they find it for me .......I guess it is a little more pricey but nothing like we are used to over here in asia I mean US$ 20 -25 for a worming paste and US$ 50 for a plastic body brush so for us over here there prices are good .

And I love there service it is fantastic.