The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Tack Store Monopoly

So i got the new Dover Catalog in the mail the other day and it got me thinking, does Dover have a monopoly on the horse industry?!?

I mean i know there are other companies out there who have catalogs like BoB and there was stateline tack (now gone under). But i just feel like i should have more options as a consumer! Why should i be limited to just 1 or 2 places where i can catalog shop?! I know there are many more available on the internet and that's fine and dandy but i like looking at pics while i watch TV!

I know i'm being silly here.. but it just got me thinking is there anywhere else to shop now a days?? Or if you want a large selection Dover is it?

Thanks for letting me put my thoughts out there..
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

MODS - can you move this to Off Course please. i meant to put it there orginally.. lol

I personally never buy from Dover unless it's in their closeouts. They are ridiculously overpriced a lot of the time.

In the future, I may get a saddle through them. They are the SOLE distributor of Thorowgood saddles in the US, it seems. If anyone knows of any other store that sells Thorowgoods, I'm all ears. They're the ONLY saddle company I've found so far that makes a saddle that truly fits my horse without having to go insane expensive.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I bet I only buy something from Dover once every 2 years and usually only if it's on sale. There isn't much they have that I can't find anywhere else.

Nearly every major vet supply company sends catalogs (I am inundated with them), Smith Bros, BoB, Smartpak, I get 2 or 3 specialty (jewlery or horsey street clothes) catalogs--no idea how I got on that list! Dressage extensions, etc. I am sure there are others
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

How about the Schneiders catalog? Country Supply? Jeffers Equine?

If you don't mind buying general stable and horse care supplies from a saddleseat catalog, there are actually a few really nice ones out there. Then there are the ones that cater more towards gift stuff like "Back in the Saddle" etc.

Dover is just the one most into the Mass Mailings theory of marketing.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

When did Stateline go under? They still have a website.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post

They have not, the OP does not know what they are talking about.

Stateline did change hands a bit back but they are still very much up and running, now owned by the same company as Country Supply (horse.com).

To the OP, there are lots and lots and lots of places to buy things. Dover no where near has a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by SparklePlenty View Post
    MODS - can you move this to Off Course please. i meant to put it there orginally.. lol
    The mods are far more likely to get a message if you send an alert or such.

The only time Dover gets my money is if I am in a BIG hurry to get something - I work 3 miles from the Chantilly store. Dover is overpriced, and their shipping is atrocious.

Locally, I'll frequent Tri-County (fabulous new tack store) or The Tack Box. If I have to order online, Smartpak is the first place I'll go, and then other places. Never Equestrian Collections, you rarely ever get what you order, but they'll charge you for it!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Ride'emVA, are you familiar with the Saddle Liquidators out in Haymarket? Just off I66W behind the Sheetz. I know that is probably a hike for you, but I bet it would be worth the trip?? I find their prices easy on the purse-strings.

Where is The Tack Box located? Do they only cater to English or do they have Western stuff too?

I also just ordered from County Supply(horse.com) and got a breast collar and flank cinch for less than 70bucks s&h included.

I get the Dover catalog, but have never ordered from them for the same reason Ride'emVA stated, their S&H charges are out the window.

~Kerri & Pete

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    I think she must have been thinking of Millers, or the Stateline that used to be part of Petsmart or whatever.

The current stateline is its own little monopoly. Between them and Dover, they have a huge section of the internet sales.

Personally, I'm an overzealous price shopper. I haven't ordered from Dover in a long time. My latest orders have been from horseloverz (their slow shipping just can't outweigh the prices so far), victory canter, jeffers, valley vet. Dover's lack of free shipping OR low prices just eliminates them most of the time.

For service, VTO and EquusNow get orders if I need something fast.

Millers is still doing business. I got a newspaper type ad from them the other day - but their manufacturing end is gone. That dufus that bought Millers... what, 7 or 8 years ago really ruined THAT company and a few others a long the way (Whitman saddlery went down the tubes when all that happened. )

Another possible source of English tack is National Bridle Supply. They carry good lines of product at competitive prices. Shipping isn't too bad. I've order more than twice from them and had good results.

Valley Vet carries some tack and equipment.
    MY stack of catalogs are: KV Vet, Valley Vet, United Vet, American Livestock, Jeffers, Country Supply, Schneiders, Dover (ick), Smith Brothers, National Roper Supply (high prices), National Bridle Supply, Chicks, Rod's, Sheplers, (last 2 are western decor & clothing mostly) Uckele (sups only), Hartland Supply (Sups) Back in the Saddle (decor and clothing).

When I want to buy a saddle, I call West20 Tack store in Wisconsin and discuss it with the owner there. She's fitted 3 saddles for my horses and done it primary from photos and descriptions. 1 endurance, 1 western, 1 english. I buy my other criticalleather goods from her too. Find it in a catalog or online, call the shop and if they have it I buy it. Minimal shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride'emVA View Post

Locally, I'll frequent Tri-County (fabulous new tack store) or The Tack Box. If I have to order online, Smartpak is the first place I'll go, and then other places. Never Equestrian Collections, you rarely ever get what you order, but they'll charge you for it!
    Where is Tri-County?

Tri-County Feeds Etc. is in Marshall, right near Piedmont Equine. http://www.tricountyfeeds.com/

The new store is BEAUTIFUL, and the owner went WAY out of his way to get my new saddle to me in record time, when they didn't have it in stock. I was really impressed with the customer service and the selection, and will now shop there whenever I have the time to make the trip. They even have a doggie section.

VAHG, I don't think they have any Western stuff, they're geared more towards the English disciplines. I am very familiar with Saddlery Liquidators, but I find that when I need something SPECIFIC, I am hard pressed to find it there. That store is good for finding deals on stuff that I didn't know I needed/wanted, lol! So I just stop in when I am passing through the area, which unfortunately isn't very often. Nice people there, though!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    They have not, the OP does not know what they are talking about.

Stateline did change hands a bit back but they are still very much up and running, now owned by the same company as Country Supply (horse.com).

To the OP, there are lots and lots and lots of places to buy things. Dover no where near has a monopoly.

The mods are far more likely to get a message if you send an alert or such.
    Wow - way to be snarky there... I knew they had changed Hands but thought they became Country Supply and stateline went away. I just know in my area the lack of local tack stores is an issue and IMO (notice MY Opinion) i feel like Dover has a lock on the market.

this was not mean to be a nasty thread.. sorry if people took it that way. I was instead hoping for a collaboration of different catalogs where one can purchase good quality merchandise.
    Last edited by SparklePlenty; Aug. 21, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

I very seldom have to buy any tack any more, after years and several horses. Hopefully my old kieffer will last me. Several bridles, halters, blankets, pads, etc in various sizes keep me well stocked. I have used Dover - for closeout stable supplies, and also KV Vet. My local store, ALLIES, although 99% western now, still carries products I use and need all the time and will match any catalog price. Equine Affaire is coming up and I've started my wish list. It seems I own all the equipment I'll ever need, but I can usually find something I don't need , but can't live without! I check prices and if I can get a deal there, I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SparklePlenty View Post
    Wow - way to be snarky there... I knew they had changed Hands but thought they became Country Supply and stateline went away. I just know in my area the lack of local tack stores is an issue and IMO (notice MY Opinion) i feel like Dover has a lock on the market.

this was not mean to be a nasty thread.. sorry if people took it that way. I was instead hoping for a collaboration of different catalogs where one can purchase good quality merchandise.
    I never think of Dover as a local tack store since I do not live near one.

I got the impression you were asking about on line tack stores. I think lots of people have very nicely posted lots of various on line places, just like you wanted.

It is just frustrating when someone could do a very quick internet search and not post something that is just plain wrong. If you had said you thought Stateline had gone under it would be different.

For the record, I do not like shopping at stateline since it changed hands, so I am not really pushing the catalog or anything.

Google "horse supply" or something like that, Dover wasn't even in the top 5 when i did it. If there is a Dover near you it may seem like thats the only place to shop but its not, the same way you don't have to shop at Wal*Mart just because there's one down the street.

If Dover has a monopoly or is selling better than other companies it's most likely because they're doing something right, bad companies go out of business.
    Whoever said money can't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse

I am still getting catalogs from both Millers and State Line Tack, but both are not even close to what they used to be as far as selection goes. Dover does have a good selection and I look at it a lot to get ideas but rarely buy, although the coupon prices can be pretty good.

I have ordered a lot through http://www.123tack.com/winning/default.asp?s_id=0 out of Florida and also have accessories sent with my monthly shipment of supplements from http://www.smartpakequine.com/

If I shop local, (I am in the SW Ohio area), I cannot find a local tack shop better than http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/index.htm They are really knowledgeable, and have an amazing stock of used/consignment saddles...esp. Dressage saddles.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I never think of Dover as a local tack store since I do not live near one.

I got the impression you were asking about on line tack stores. I think lots of people have very nicely posted lots of various on line places, just like you wanted.

It is just frustrating when someone could do a very quick internet search and not post something that is just plain wrong. If you had said you thought Stateline had gone under it would be different.

For the record, I do not like shopping at stateline since it changed hands, so I am not really pushing the catalog or anything.
    Yeesh, it's not like she claimed she was an expert on online tackstores or anything. She was mistaken, big deal. That doesn't justify you being a jerk about it.

As for Stateline, I ordered from them once after they changed hands. The transaction was very unorganized and "hiccupy", their website is always in some state of mass chaos and confusion it seems. Descriptions in the wrong places, items showing up like 10 times for the same thing, broken links, etc, etc. I think they need to hire a different webmaster or something..
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!