The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have experience with a weanling who fractured it's pelvis?

Looking for advice and stories to learn from...vet says it is healable with three to six months in a stall. She is bright and eating, and can lay down but barely puts any weight on it and takes no real steps on it . She gets 1/2 gram of bute 2x day and 1/4 tube of gastrogaurd. We're all concernred about giving a foal bute, but she obviously needs something for pain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated......

I don't have personal experience with that situation, but my one suggestion would be switching the foal to Equioxx (firocoxib). It is an anti-inflammatory that is much easier/safer for the gastrointestinal tract.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

No suggestions, but want to send some jingles and prayers. Hope she comes through ok.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Patti,

Is this one of yours? Hugs and wellwishes from central Florida.
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

I would encourage you to switch to Equioxx as well. I just had a very bad experience with Banamine (which is easier on the gastrointestinal system than Bute). A two year old and a yearling on it for a few days for high fever. One ended up with dorsal colitis (ulcerated colon) the other one with kidney failure and a week in the hospital (over $5,000).
    Good luck !

Oh man, no advice but we had a foal break her Ulna last week and is on 6 weeks stall rest. Our vet was too worried about the consequences of bute so ours has no pain control. He said he doesn't want the foal using that limb or putting weight on the bone...when it hurts, they are less likey to use it. Plus the very real risk of ulcers which can be deadly in foals. I would be tempted to nix the bute but then I am not a vet. Is the foal already weaned?

Major jingles here !
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

We had an adult horse fracture his pelvis. 6 months in the stall, and he was servicably sound, and even went back to jumping, but always had a slight unevenness behind. Unfortunately about 2 years later, he developed severe navicular, which I then found out can happen with long term stall rest. He was a tough guy, and coped will with that too. I wonder if there is anything that can help circulation in the leg while on stall rest.

I did have a weanling fracture his growth plate at the fetlock. He was on stall rest for about 2 months. The vet put him on banamine/bute, but I didn't give it due to worries about ulcers. He was fine.

I switched his companions for night and day so he would always have a buddy, but the buddies could be out for half a day on opposite schedules to each other.

Good luck.

Not one of mine, but a lovely CTF filly! She is weaned, and has a friend with her at all times.......I'll look into the Equioxx.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I had one of my new yearling fillies get injured somewhere in her pelvis back in January. If you search you may find my thread as I posted a similar one. She was never xrayed but several vets examined her, to include a good chiropractic vet, and we believe she cracked her pelvis. Fortunately, it was not badly broken and small area confinement and rest fixed her up. I don't think I gave her bute past the first 3 days. I had too much trouble keeping her quiet. I ended up putting her next to the little Banker stallion I was rehabbing. He was so calm and quiet that he kept her quiet. Other youngsters just got her playing.

After about 8 weeks of confinement and a good session with the chiropractor using release points (which helped her tremendously) to get her feeling better, she ended gradually using her leg more and then became sound. She was turned out in time with her buddies again and was recently sold into a hunter pony home and we are dying to see her going in a few years.

Thanks DB, our girl is in a 12X12 stall....was yours smaller?
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    Thanks DB, our girl is in a 12X12 stall....was yours smaller?
    No, I actually kept my girl in a larger foaling stall...about 12 x 20 and then after a few weeks, I built her a small attached pen about as big as the stall with round pen panels so she could walk around a bit, see other horses aroudn her, but not get going too fast. My fear was that she would atrophy her muscles with no use of them and that was indeed happening after about a month of confinement and her favoring that leg. The body work by the Chiropractor at about 6 weeks made a huge difference in her as did the very quiet companion. I strongly suggest something like that if you can.

Good luck with this baby! I know how tough it is!

FWIW, my good friend had a top A show hunter fracture its pelvis. It took nearly a year of rest and rehab, but ultimately the horse came back to show and win in the 3'6 divisions. Her prognosis at the outset had not been as good; I believe they had hoped she would recover enough to be suitable for light riding. But she came back nearly 100%.
    Although foals are more fragile in some ways, I would think they would have a better chance of recovering from fractures as their bones are still developing rapidly.

We had one a couple of years ago. She was on stall rest for a couple of months with regular Adequan, I think 7 doses in a month, than every two weeks, and banamine paste for a couple of weeks. She was quite lame but weightbearing, but had trouble getting up/ down (much better w/ the banamine--she wouldn't lie down at all at first). She eventually appeared 100% sound but was not quite right behind when put in race training--just when she got to the point of being worked. Vet was pretty optimistic all along--said that arthritis is more problematic than the actual injury in most cases.

A friend's 18 m.o. fractured hers. Pretty badly. A year to recover - and this was back in '92 before current drug therapies released .... She went on to be a nice flat horse, but never jumped - I am not sure you could expect that, nor mid to high level dressage ... but they suprise us and it depends upon severity .....

I would highly suggest accupuncture., chiro. AND massage. Anything to remind the body to be "even."

FWIW -- Horse still doing well. Even retired to a broodmare and still going ... A barn favorite with her sweet disposition. What else could she have with all that nursing and handling at such a young age?

Magnum
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

I had a mare fracture her pelvis. I was told the same thing, 6 to 9 months stall rest. My vet said not to give her anything for the pain because she could really hurt herself more. It broke my heart but she did stay pretty still.
    Susan

I bought a 6 month old Anglo/Trak filly with a fractured hip (felt sorry for her), she went sound at around 20 months old. I was so excited and looking forward to her performance future then she fractured the pastern joint as a 2 year old.

We have a gelding that was kicked in the hip as a suckling/weanling... Vets said put him down... But, we allowed him to mend... Unfortunetly, his pelvis/growth plate was broken.. His left hind leg is 3" or so shorter then the right leg/hip. His hoof is also tiny compared to his others..

He now-- at around 12 years old, has a hard time during the winter.. BUT he is a great companion horse! Super sweet, and all!! Great to have around, the prettiest Arabain/qh cross you could get...

Aside from lightly sitting on him a few times, we never "broke" him to do anything.. There was just no point.

I do have a feeling that we will have to put him down earlier then we would any other horse.. When he gets more uncomfortable then he is now!

He cannot be stalled (obvious arthritis) for any length of time.. So blanketing during winter is the only option..

It is a very long road, and can be a sad situation.. BUT, I bet our horse is happy to be alive! He has just as much fun running around, and bucking/playing as the rest of them!! He is not at the bottom of the herd either!

Good Luck!
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

Default If you want hope...

Amiego (American Trakehner) had a serious hip injury as a youngster and went on to be a bronze medalist in Eventing at the Pan Am games. See:
    http://www.americantrakehner.com/Sta...ive/Amiego.asp

Default If you want hope...

Amiego (American Trakehner) had a serious hip injury as a youngster and went on to be a bronze medalist in Eventing at the Pan Am games. See:
    http://www.americantrakehner.com/Sta...ive/Amiego.asp

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    Looking for advice and stories to learn from...vet says it is healable with three to six months in a stall. She is bright and eating, and can lay down but barely puts any weight on it and takes no real steps on it . She gets 1/2 gram of bute 2x day and 1/4 tube of gastrogaurd. We're all concernred about giving a foal bute, but she obviously needs something for pain.

Any suggestions would be appreciated......
    Yep. I had a weanling break her acetebullum. Vets (Auburn U.) said she would never be rideable, nor breedable.

She grew up to be a champion over fences, and has had two wonderful foals.

She was put on stall rest and we gave her bute, which apparently also gave her ulcers. It caused her to not want to move. That was a blessing in disquise. She healed up. Her hip was lower on that side for about a year, then gradually leveled out with time. She has been champion in-hand and no one can tell anything was ever wrong. This was in 1994 and I still have her. Sound as can be. (You have seen this mare. She was at Kitty's. A chestnut Anglo).
    The Inverted Y
    Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org