The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well on the bright side in one or two years I will be starting to make my own full three day event in Ontario, including all levels and whether or not it becomes recognized I don't care...I would put good money on it that people would still show up. If not to compete than at least to join in on the competitors party!

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    I think that would be super but I also think that it could be difficult. Although I wish this would happen I feel that the long format is dead here. I don't know if our young eventers are even aware of it's existence. It would be important to contact the right people to gain support for this venture. I know that Belvoir used to hold a T3DE but it has been 3 years since their last one. They certainly have the facilities to do it though.
    That is why I suggest the NALFHTA does NOT replace nor seek to add to the FEI/USEF. It is simply an entity where folks who appreciate the long format can come and play and have fun and those who never saw it can come and experience it. Look at places such as Groton House and how they continue.

I agree the long format is dead from a IOC/WEG/FEI POV. Long live the long format. So why try to recreate it? Why not have just a few places where we go back 20 years, use those rules, use local judges and vets and make it something where folks come for fun and experience (and prizes). Why should it be difficult? Without FEI or USEF oversight, we can make this as fun as we wish. Why not run the courses on an honor system and have everyone where a GPS device?

Who cares if only a few show up? Make it about what eventing once was. Make is a social event where everyone works together for each other and we can all sit around and tell stupid stories at the end of the day. Hell, put in lunch breaks.

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    That is why I suggest the NALFHTA does NOT replace nor seek to add to the FEI/USEF. It is simply an entity where folks who appreciate the long format can come and play and have fun and those who never saw it can come and experience it. Look at places such as Groton House and how they continue.

I agree the long format is dead from a IOC/WEG/FEI POV. Long live the long format. So why try to recreate it? Why not have just a few places where we go back 20 years, use those rules, use local judges and vets and make it something where folks come for fun and experience (and prizes). Why should it be difficult? Without FEI or USEF oversight, we can make this as fun as we wish. Why not run the courses on an honor system and have everyone where a GPS device?

Who cares if only a few show up? Make it about what eventing once was. Make is a social event where everyone works together for each other and we can all sit around and tell stupid stories at the end of the day. Hell, put in lunch breaks.

Reed
    I love this idea.

Why let organizations, bureaucracy and politics get in the way of enjoying our sport? There's no reason we can't have it on our terms -- it just means we have to take the initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Sure. North American is fine with me (NALFTHA).

The point will be just doing the long format. I actually think there shouldn't even be jump judges (other than a zone steward) or even timers (we can use GPS data) and money should go to the facility use and organizer. We would use local dressage judges and vets. No FEI officials. There would be prizes and cocktails for the competitors.

There should never be more than a few venues to keep the focus on the social aspects as well as the fun.

The mission behind this is to provide a venue that brings together like minded riders in a SOCIAL environment. Competition is second.
    Ooh, this sounds like fun. Actually, sounds a lot like eventing used to sound like!

I agree entirely Reed. My concern is that in Ontario nobody even breathes the word long format. Last year a farm in Ottawa put on a 1/4* and 1/2*. They were not well attended and this year from what I understand it has been cancelled. I think in Ontario at least it is something that would need to be promoted quite a bit because there is zero dialogue about it.
    At least in the US and especially on COTH there is dialogue.
    I think the people best to contact here would be Belvoir and Oakhurst. I know if we had a long format here I would certainly attend. Unfortunately shipping down tothe US with these gas prices is a bit out of my budget.
    I love the idea though and if there is anything I can do to help I would be pleased to.

What about the people who own Hawkridge, the farm Selena and Morag O'Hanlon run their business out of... They used to have SPECTACULAR events, and have more than enough land and courses to do it! Someone should contact them...

Raising hand to be secretary and/or scorer for NALFHTA events.
    Have experience, will travel.

I vote lunch breaks be mandatory.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~