The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Derby Cross at Morven - Volunteers Needed

DerbyCross (c) is looking for volunteers to help out at this summer's competition! Oc fourse we encourage spectators too!

Derbycross is an exciting equestrian sport and will be held this year at Morven Park. It combines the speed and accuracy of show jumping and the bravery and endurance of cross-country could be showcased in a spectator-friendly format with a party-like atmosphere http://www.derbycross.com/main_opening.htm

Date: Saturday, August 16, 2008
    Time: 12 noon to 6pm (gates open at 1pm, competition starts at 3pm)
    Place: Morven Park, Leesburg, VA

If you can collect tickets, sell tickets, sell baseball hats, man the VIP access points, work on a jump crew or help direct people/host/hostess in the VIP tent, WE NEED YOU!

Most positions will allow for viewing of the competition! Come lend a hand and cheer on your favorite team at the same time!
    Please contact Dana Voorhees at "deenerv@aol.com" or at 202.236.5510 if you can help us out.

Maybe I'm just a moron and couldn't find it on the website, but how much are tickets?

Default tickets

Ticket prices are under "news and Announcements" - sorry I need to go reorganize that a bit!

TICKETS

General Admission Car Pass (up to 6 people) - $20

VIP - $60/person

Thumbs up

I didn't know about this, I'll be seeing if I can volunteer, thank you!

Default DerbyCross

Who are the riders and team captains this year??

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I may volunteer if I decide not to spectate and take pictures. I heard the VIP food was yummy.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Unhappy What might have been!

Oh My! Merry and I would have loved it!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by polo3day View Post
    Who are the riders and team captains this year??
    there's not an official release for them yet, but I know Nate Chambers and Alison Springer are for-sure captains. And one of the short listed riders who had an unfortunate hoof issue, but not naming any names..... (haha)

Do you get fed if you volunteer?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I went to the Derby Cross last year at Great Meadow. An honest question here, what is it for? Is it just an exhibition, a fund raiser or what? I might go if it's not too hot.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Quote Originally Posted by piaffeprincess98 View Post
    I went to the Derby Cross last year at Great Meadow. An honest question here, what is it for? Is it just an exhibition, a fund raiser or what? I might go if it's not too hot.
    Exhibition. It is supposed to raise public awareness of the sport of Eventing.

I see. I wish they'd do it more than once a year.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

RE: Volunteers - receive a DerbyCross T-shirt, drinks/snacks, and - for most - a great view of the competition.

RE: Purpose - Lex is right - it is exhibition for the sport for both sponsors and spectators, but - being a young endeavor - it is also developing, and I'm sure if you spoke with any of the organizers, they'd tell you they hope it'll end up being more, i.e. added levels, opening the competition, etc... But those are all eventual goals for down the road.

I have officially signed up to volunteer, so I'll do what I can to report back. I'm looking forward to it!

Finner Guest

Added info on what DerbyCross is for from one of the organizers......when the event was held at Great Meadow the beneficiary was the Great Meadow Foundation. Now that it's moved to Morven, the beneficiary will be the Morven Park Foundation. When the event was held in Ocala the beneficiary was the Thoroughbred Rescue of FL. As the event grows and gains momentum, we will want to expand and be able to give back in many ways to the equestrian community.

Finner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    I have officially signed up to volunteer, so I'll do what I can to report back. I'm looking forward to it!
    Hi -- Dana Voorhees here Tazzie -- did you send information to me on volunteering? If not, send to "deenerv@aol.com" and we'll get you on board. Thanks so much!!!

Can't decide what to get. Since it will likely just be myself going it is sensible to get a VIP ticket because I will get food (and we know how important that is to me! ) though I don't know if the viewing area is good for taking pictures or do I just get a car pass, hope I end up somewhere I can get some good photos, and snack on whatever treats I bring with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Finner View Post
    Hi -- Dana Voorhees here Tazzie -- did you send information to me on volunteering? If not, send to "deenerv@aol.com" and we'll get you on board. Thanks so much!!!
    Hi Dana - I've already corresponded with you through my work email yesterday. Can't wait!

Finner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    Hi Dana - I've already corresponded with you through my work email yesterday. Can't wait!
    Perfect! Thanks so much!

Finner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Can't decide what to get. Since it will likely just be myself going it is sensible to get a VIP ticket because I will get food (and we know how important that is to me! ) though I don't know if the viewing area is good for taking pictures or do I just get a car pass, hope I end up somewhere I can get some good photos, and snack on whatever treats I bring with me.
    The venue this year will provide for great viewing from wherever you are. Unlike Great Meadow, there won't be any blocked fences. We are using Weimert (sp?) Field at Morven, which is just a big bowl, really. The VIP will be up on little bit of a hill overlooking the course and will give you a great vantage point for photos. And the food will be fantastic! Beer and wine is included in the VIP pass for $60.