The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Trip Harting- Bless him

8/21/08
    Update
    I am so sorry; Trip passed away peacefully this afternoon... it has been an honor to read the messages from all of you. I am in awe of him-- how many people he quietly helped, and how many people loved him. Please keep sending your thoughts to my email, as we would like to make a book of them for his memorial (maybe also post them here to share, if you would like). Will have more details tomorrow re the service.Thank you all,
    Mary and Lori

8/21/08
    Update
    Lori feels Trip is getting pretty close; so we would like to ask for your prayers for him. She was able to read some of your messages to him last night;he gets tired so she may summarize them if he is able to hear any today. Then he managed to rouse himself and gave detailed instructions how he wanted these saved to his computer! He had several close friends in to sit with him yesterday- I know one or two flew in to LA to be with Trip.

8/20/08
    Hi,

Thank you for all the wonderful emails and stories about Trip. It is amazing how many people he helped and encouraged as he taught and judged all over the U.S.

Below is my original post but I was asked this am if I can appeal for donations.Flowers and cards are also welcome but you would need to send them quickly.

Trip was diagnosed two weeks ago with terminal liver cancer; a week ago they found out no treatment was possible, and to call in hospice. He is going very quickly...my dear friend Lori Lauver is one of his best friends and there is a wonderful roommate-longtime friend who just happened to rent a room from Trip in June. There is no family to help; just Lori and the roommate (note:later on more friends came). Lori has a busy 1-person veterinarian practice and she has cancelled all her clients to take care of Trip this week. She has hired a 24 hour nurse but that is $300 a day.

Trip cannot be left alone... so if any of you could consider a contribution (small or large, anything is wonderful!) to help pay for the 24 hour nurse; Lori is still having to take care of all the logistics for settling Trip's affairs, so sometimes must leave to run all the errands. (she has her own family too).

Hospice finally came and set up a bed for Trip around 8:30 last night; the oxygen did not get there til almost midnight.

Trip can still read or be read cards; but there is no insurance for the nursing care.

Cards or flowers for Trip:

Trip Harting
    2152 Reservoir street
    Los Angeles, Ca. 90026

contributions; please write on the memo line, for Trip Harting
    Lori Lauver, D.V.M.
    Community Veterinary Center
    10617 Burbank Blvd
    N. Hollywood, Ca.

Thank you,

Mary

8/19/08 Original Post
    Trip Harting is an S Level judge and a beloved coach and clinician all over the United States. He is going through a very serious illness at this time; if you would like to send him good wishes, please email me and I will do my best to forward them.

He may not be able to receive them, but we know there are so many people he has helped over the years who would want to know. Prayers and kind thoughts are always good.

Please email me at mary@magpiefarm.com; I will pass this on to one of his close friends who is seeing him daily. Also there are some photos of him on my website; if you have any you would like to share, I can add them.I know he did a lot of coaching.

Thank you,
    Last edited by maggiecat; Aug. 22, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
    Mary

Mary Baechler
    http://amorexswb.com/

Sending best wishes.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Best wishes to Trip! Has anyone set up a Carepages for him?
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Thanks to all of you; what is a Carepages?
    Mary

Mary Baechler

Here is the website:
    http://www.carepages.com/
    Very useful to keep in touch during illnesses.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

here is hoping and praying for an 'upward transition' very soon....

Thanks so much for the kind messages coming through. Also if you cliniced (can't spell that!) with Trip and have any photos you would like to share, I can add that to the webpage...
    Mary

Mary Baechler

Trip is a well loved figure in POny Club. He usually judges the freestyles at Nationals and is always as positive as possible!
    He spoke at the national examiners seminar a couple of years ago and I took alot of stuff away to use in my lessons.
    Best wishes for him.

He judged me once on my insufferable little pony.

Shall we just say that the remarks he gave me were no different from those my own instructor gave me every week

Live long and prosper, Trip. You inspired me to work hard, which is the best thing anyone can ever say about another person. Get better soon.

Unhappy Trip

Trip was such a part of our lives. He was the coach for the Area VI team (3-day) in the early 80's. He did a phenomenal job with us. The "team" was based on our ranch for 10 days prior to leaving for BC. We all had great fun, as Trip was more of a teenager than all of us put together. I can't print some of the things we did, but the memories still make me laugh.

Please count me in for a dontation.

Alden
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire.

Sorry to hear this. I never had the pleasure of meeting Trip, but it sounds as though he touched many lives. I wish him a peaceful passing.

Have you checked with Equestrian Aid to see if they could be of assistance during Trip's final days? ? http://equestrianaidfoundation.org/

BAnother Guest

I've scribed for him several times and always was impressed with his attempts to will even the most awkward pairs to do just that little bit better. I'm very sorry to hear this and wish him and those close to him peace.

Hi,

Eiren couldn't post, so she asked me to post for her...

Hi Mary,

Thank you for posting on the COTH BB and passing on warm thoughts for Trip Harting. I can't actually say I've "met" the man, but last year at a show at the New Jersey Horse Park I was competing in two classes under him, and also volunteered as a test runner. Mr. Harting had a kind, encouraging word or two for every competitor before he rang the bell, and you could see nervous competitors smile and relax suddenly, making this a little less scary. He was polite, funny, charming to the volunteers, again making volunteering a little less of a dreadful task. As a judge I felt he was accurate and fair, not afraid to use high and low numbers in the test, giving what was deserved for each movement.

I don't remember a lot of judges either that I ride for or cross paths with in the course of showing. Trip Harting made a wonderful and lasting impression on me in a brief time. Without knowing the details of his illness, I will keep him in my thoughts, with the hope that he will make a full and speedy recovery. Best wishes to Mr. Harting for a return to good health.

Kind Regards,

Eiren Crawford
    Mary

Mary Baechler

Default Trip to Hell and Back

BAnother, Do you know where or if this will be shown? I do not condone Trip's past, and quite frankly, I'm horrified by it. However, I do admire the courage it took to come forward, especially on film, and talk of his mistakes. I applaud him for that.

Godspeed, Trip.

Alden
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire.

Im very sorry to hear this. He sure has gone through alot over the years. I do wish him a quiet and peaceful passing.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Trip and I go WWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY back... longer than EITHER of us would like to admit too!!! He rode Jim Dandy and I rode Moga and we worked our way up the levels thru all of the trials and pitfalls that make up a lifetime of training and riding dressage... always laughing about our spooks and bolts... I'm ALWAYS glad to see Trip show up!!!! I love you Trip.
    jaye

I am so sorry to hear this... I always enjoyed him as a judge. My best to his family.

I've only met Trip once. I was at a horse show with my trainer, who was working on her "L" certification. He stopped to talk to her, and then sat down with her (and me listening in) to "judge" a bunch of rides, and mentor her through the process. He was unfailingly positive and kind, (though not neccessarily overly generous,) in his comments and critiques of those in the ring.

I was really looking forward to riding in front of him in Idaho a couple of weeks ago. I was so disappointed when he had to cancel at the last minute. Now I know why, and my disappointment seems somewhat trivial.

My best wishes for peace and comfort to him.

So so sorry to hear this news. Trip is an incredible asset to the dressage community, as someone who always worked to make dressage accessible and fun to everyone. I've never had another judge who could be so encouraging and yet give absolutely dead-on criticism at the same time. May he have a peaceful and easy passing, and rest comfortably, knowing that he leaves behind an amazing legacy.

Lori and Mary, thank you for everything that you're doing at this difficult time.