The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chocomare, EqT, JSwan: The Stalking thread, share you secrets

In light of the fact I ALMOST missed the neck threadworm thread, I wanted to start a little 'share your odd solutions, information and tidbits thread.'

We can start with double Equimax for neck threadworms...

EqT I added you because of your experience with adding Selenium to certain horses as well as your input on adding Lysine and other amino acids...care to share?

Those are two things I know you believe in and are things most people may not look to.

J Swan, as the resident stalker, perhaps you can share other secrets you have learned during you night job

Certainly there are more tips and tricks that may be getting lost in a thread that seems not to apply when you read the title.

Just make sure you bold the tidbit so it can be located easily!

Oh Dear God I'm watching Matt Lauer and Al Roeker do rhythmic gymnastics.

Let me get the name of a product I just bought and I'll write back. Just a sec - gotta look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Oh Dear God I'm watching Matt Lauer and Al Roeker do rhythmic gymnastics.
    Oh ick. That was a mental image I could have done WITHOUT.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Talking Wateryglen raises hand!

OMG! I had NBC on the tube while I was online this morning and THAT made me cry tears.!! Super funny!

Anyway, Can I play?!

Weird tips from Waterglen!

Use fine grit sandpaper on your suede to freshen up the nap or texture of the suede and clean it up. Works super on suede saddle knee rolls, suede seats and fabulous for half & full chaps that get shiney slick in areas of rubbing.

When going out in the pasture to catch your hard to catch horse....walk in his direction but DON'T look at him. Stop here & there and act casual. It will peak his curiousity and maybe he'll come to you. Looking directly at them can be sending a message. Look at the other horses. When getting close; stand sideways and look away. Hold out a carrot. Approach from an angle and go to his shoulder. The shoulder is a benign area and non threatening. Some of this was re-inforced with my wild pmu weanlings who were terrified and ran away when you looked at them. It took weeks before I could look directly at them in their presence. When taming them; my glancing/look direction was key.

If you need horse meds/treatments? Walmart! Their generic baby diaper rash ointment great for scratches. Has fish oil & zinc oxide in it which are the main ingredients in Desitin but half the price. Their generic mint antacids perfect for horsie with ulcers. Use about 90cc's. Elcheapo menstrual pads? Bandages! Vaseline? = useful for skin scrapes, boo-boos. I can go on & on!

To increase the oomph of flyspray- buy a cheap one and add a half ounce of high concentration permethrin to it. Get in farm supply stores in cattle section.

How am I doing? Is this what you're thinking of?!!!

The title pulled me in. Chocomare, EqT and JSwan are stalkers? And they're willing to share their secrets? Very cool!

But no. It's a tips thread. Carry on...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

If any of you have some tack, especially saddles, that are worn, faded, require refinishing, have nicks, water spots, or any other damage to the leather:

Contact Tandy Leather in Richmond, Virginia.
    http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

I know there are many horsey products to "restore" leather/old saddles. Tandy Leather has experts who provide a free consultation and will direct you to the appropriate product for your tack - especially damaged saddles.

They will help you do a real restoration of your saddles. Not oils, not shellacs, not goop. Real leather restoration from a company that makes and finishes leather. Western or English saddle leathers - does not matter.

ChocoMare says:

--Keep those old socks. They are great for cleaning tack/applying conditioner, cleaning inside ears, picking udders clean and for applying fly wipe.

--Never use ordinary duct tape ever again for hoof abscesses. Go straight to GORILLA TAPE. I can get a bootie to last 24-48 hours on my Percheron with that tape. Now for those of you with light horses (aka: smaller hooves), get a couple of Hoof Wraps www.hoofwraps.com and skip the tape all together

--Cat litter buckets are great to keep for whatever. Be sure to save the lid! I have one with my tack cleaning supplies (yes, including socks) and one for my grooming supplies (to which I applied a Bucket Jockey--a great idea in itself http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...e9820e_400.jpg)

--Athlete's Foot Spray is great for thrush. It gets into the crevices very well and stays put.

--Always keep a bottle of Sore No More Gelotion at home AND at the barn. Amazing stuff to pull the pain from abrasions, bruises, strains, etc.

ETA...for those who have chosen NOT to read the How to Kill Adult Onchocerca thread:

--For horses with sweet-itch, summer-itch, rainrot, itchies in general: Double Dose with Equimax. Wait 14 days and Double Dose with Equimax again. Don't believe me? Think I'm crazy? Well, just go read the thread.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Aug. 19, 2008 at 12:50 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I use dollar store Athelets Foot Cream for mud fever... works great and is cheap!

Oooh, more!

Instead of those horrible, big-hole/cheapie haynets that don't do much, go for a small mesh one like this: http://www.millerharness.com/product.asp?pn=X4%2D27286 - only 10 bucks!

It realllllly slows down their eating speed....almost slower than grazing speed. I can get 3 flakes to last over 12 hours in a stall....even for my biggest Hay Vacuum Mare, Penny!

To hang it safely, get a large Lehigh Swivel Eye Bolt Snap Hook (4 1/8" is the biggest I believe) - here's a pic: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...ecef6e_400.jpg -- Draw up 4 sections of the drawstring at the top of the net into the snap end. Hang the eye hook eye up and away.

--A related hint: To fill a hay net easily, take your 2 - 3 flakes and put them on an upside down 5-gallon bucket. Open the net and slide it down over the flakes like a sleeve. Now flip over and draw tight! Ta dah!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    ChocoMare says:

ETA...for those who have chosen NOT to read the How to Kill Adult Onchocerca thread:

--For horses with sweet-itch, summer-itch, rainrot, itchies in general: Double Dose with Equimax. Wait 14 days and Double Dose with Equimax again. Don't believe me? Think I'm crazy? Well, just go read the thread.
    But not just after you ate... ugh...

HAY KNIFE. I use an old stretchy, adjustable leg strap from a winter blanket and attach it to my hay knife. Then I use a fence staple and a clip to attach the stretchy leg strap to a post or wall in the barn near my hay stack.

Keeps the knife handy and moveable.

My biggest secret? If I told you, I'd have to kill you

Yup, I am not afraid of selenium and amino acid supplementation around here is the norm.

One of the things I truly believe - and it gets people all upset, really, it does (so if you are one of those, debate me on another thread, ok?) - is that high fat diets for horses are potentially bad news. We threw away the oil bottles a long time ago and never looked back. Unless a horse has been diagnosed by muscle biospy as EPSM, I would never feed it a diet high in fat to put weight on it. Over 40 horses, give and take a few, have had some come and go, but none of them eat a high fat diet to maintain weight. I personally think most horses who their owners think need a high fat diet are in dire need of deworming and a higher protein diet.. with amino acids and selenium, of course

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I can look back and identify some of the horses we fed high fat to as being metabolic and/or developing insulin issues. The last horse I fed a high fat diet to, to put weight on him, ultimately crashed and became the model for the feeding program we use today.

I did not say no fat.. just not HIGH fat. And I think there may be people out there who work their horses hard enough (eventers come to mind) that their horses do indeed need a much higher fat diet to maintain enough calories to maintain the energy they need to do their jobs. But your average skinny horse? Nope. Something else is wrong...

Anyway, that's a big one for me. Now I'm going to go out and feed 8 horses who are in excellent weight, a moderate fat, high protein diet.. except for one, who lives on air
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I agree with Eq Trainer about the high fat thing! I read somewhere (reputable) that feeding high fat could lead to insulin resistance.... I've never been a proponet of feeding a lot of fat. My vet told me a cup of oil a day was plenty for a horse weighing around 1,000 pounds.... Another vet remarked that feeding even half a cup of oil a day will put weight on a horse!

Since I bought a Thoroughbred fifteen years ago I've been doing a lot of reading about feeding.... I'm convinced if you have a hard keeping TB that a combination of regular deworming, feeding of amino acids (Tri-Amino from Uckele) or whey protein powder, a ration balancer pellet (unless you are feeding 5-6 pounds of a designer feed) and probiotics (yeast in the Spring, Summer and Fall; Lactobacillus in the Winter) is the way to keep weight on it. My horse goes crazy if I try to feed her grain (plain oats or the fortified pelleted stuff) or alfalfa pellets--I don't know what it is but she just can't tolerate the stuff (carb intolerant?)--so I've had to get creative over the years.... You heard it here first!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Very interesting. I would love to hear more about the low fat, high protein diet theory. I feed alfalfa hay and since it comes from out west, I do the added selenium but................ I am a huge fan of high fat feed for my old folks who depend on 90% of there diet coming from the bowl. High proteins go through there system like crazy resulting in high ammonia. They get enough protein from the alfalfa. I dont feed oil at all, ground flax is my fat of choice as well as TC feeds which have a high fat content.

I only have one horse with insulin issues and she came with them. In fact, she has never looked better since coming here and being fed anything at all because on pasture alone with a previous owner, she had more problems.

I would love more info on the subject as well as info on what type of horses and age you are feeding on a whole. My younger, capable of pasture maintenance guys get a low fat diet but, the toothless old folk, I would be hesitant to change there diets since I am having such success but....................would be willing to try your diets on a new horse.

To add to the tip line.

Eye infections, weepy eyes, eye ulcers. After you make your tea, save your bag. Use a slightly moistened tea bag to wipe the eyes with. Very very soothing besides the added medical benefits.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

snkstacres - funny about the tea bags. My grandpa used to use old tea bags to toughen up the paws of his hunting dogs. I guess nowadays you can buy all sorts of goop to do the same thing..... but there's still a place for simple home remedies, isn't there.

1)The dollar store is a horseman's best friend. I've not bought horse shampoo in many years.... I just go to the dollar store and buy large bottles of Ivory dishwashing soap for about 2$. I also buy Dawn.

2)For super grungy horses that need a srubbing, Dawn is great. It does not dry out the skin, really.

For regular bathing, Ivory dish soap. I slack off on occasion, but usually my horses are always squeaky clean. The field hunter is bathed several times a week during hunting season; plus a good rinsedown after hunting, of course.

3)Need to keep clean before a show? Some dollar stores carry surgical scrubs. If not there - try Mal-Wart. They are coated so they don't stain - which means your clothes also stay that much cleaner. Especially if you have a beagle who insists on jumping on you on a muddy hunting morning. Down, Peanut! Sit. Stay.

4)Do you braid your horses and want a really nice pouch to carry everything? Go to the hardware store and buy nail pouches. Cost - a couple of bucks - some hardware stores give them away. Ties around your waist and has a pouch for bands, another for a comb, whatever you want. And you can hang the bottle of quikbraid on it or use a pocket to keep gel in.

5) Stained white britches? Stains on your nice white saddle pads? Dingy stock tie? Can't make them pretty again? Soak them in a solution of Borax and Chlorine free bleach. For set stains, (grass, clay, etc.) mix Borax and chlorine free bleach into a loose paste and gently scrub. Soak. Don't be afraid to soak for a day or two if you've got a hopeless case. Then launder.

I foxhunt - trust me - I know how to get out stains.

6) Grungy chaps, half chaps or leather gloves? How do you clean them without ruining the leather? Wash them in cold on the gentle cycle with a touch of detergent and lots of fabric softener. Hang up in a cool area to dry (out of the sun of course). Don't mix light and dark leathers.

7) Already mentioned this but am including the name of the product this time. If you have a saddle with a damaged finish (water damage, age, scratches or other damage), visit tandyleather.com. For refinishing English Tack, try a product called Eco-Flo http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/p...number=2611-01

I know there are lots of products out there to restore moldy old tack. However, this stuff is what leatherworkers use. It's not an oil. You use it the way you would finish a piece of wood furniture - a hand rubbed finish.

Geez - maybe we should start a thread called "Hints from Horsemen" (a play on Hints from Heloise)

EqT, amen sister!

Being married to a feed dealer I've watched the pendulum swing over the years and it drives me crazy to see the fads! First it was the fat-pushing. Then it was the carbs and starches. Protein somehow became the devil too. People come in the store all the time asking what could be wrong with their horse and I want to stand on a box with one of those bull-horns and yell, "YOUR HORSES NEED PROTEIN, PEOPLE!"

I will say EqT's moderate fat, high protein diet has caused quite a stir up here in NY.

Dan The Man is on such a regimen and no one seems to understand why I have him on the "Atkins Diet" as they have dubbed it.

The BO is on the high fat, low carb kick. Ironically there is a TB stalled next to Dan who I am 99% sure is IR though it hasn't occurred to anyone yet, and another horse in the barn that has been diagnosed IR and they can't get it under control.

So I just keep bringing my feed, thankful that EqT had Dan all sorted out and all I have to do is implement the program. The folks at the barn have finally stopped trying to convert me to the barn's feeding program and have left me to my "Atkin's Diet" LOL.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

My favorite (besides the Gorilla Tape that ChocoMare already mentioned) is my tyvec suit!

It's a lifesaver when doing body clips I bought one of those white zip-up hazmat type suits at the local 'safety stuff' sture for about $12. I step into it fully dressed, zip it up, clip away, unzip, and walk away happy. No more itchy hairs stuck in my bra. One suit usually lasts for at least one season or 3-4 clips.
    Y'all ain't right!

That's what's so crazy.

"High fat" was never supposed to be what HUMANS considered high fat. People have been feeding a bit of extra fat for years and years and years.

When the high fat craze came around; I would see fellow boarders (this is back when I boarded) give their horses a handful of alfalfa pellets and pour corn oil all over it - and complain Pookums wouldn't eat it. No, really? 8 cups of corn oil on a smattering of pellets and Pookums doesn't dive into it?

A true EPSM diet is not even really high fat. In comparison, the highest amount a horse should get is less than what is considered a LOW FAT diet in humans. (in percentages) And that's for a horse with a real metabolic disorder.

People don't even read up on the science... they just go ooh ahhh neat - and over do it. Then when Pookums turns into a tub of lard, they spend money on supplements to cure the cresty neck and sore feet.

The opposite is folks who pour loads of grain into their "hard keeper" and then have to use supplements to get the horse to stop acting like it's got ants crawling all over it.

Crazy!

Balance, folks, balance! Balanced diet balanced nutrition!

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post

The opposite is folks who pour loads of grain into their "hard keeper" and then have to use supplements to get the horse to stop acting like it's got ants crawling all over it.
    J Swan this made me actually laugh out loud. It is so true!

Like feeding Senior to all and sundry. WHY???? Can't tell you how many TBs I know on Senior feed "because it will put weight on them." And make them crazy, too.

In general, I think there is a trend in horses (maybe in life in general??) of people wanting to throw solutions at the symptoms, without actually addressing the root problem. It drives me up the wall.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.