The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default $80K for music?

and frankly. I thought it sucked.

I really really loved her last freestyle. The one with Anky's own Faaa Laaa Laaa Laaa Laaas.

This new one was booooring. I never even heard a music key change.

blech!!

Ulla had that great music with Rusty a while back. The one that used the Rolex theme for the canter work.
    Loved it!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Rolex theme????

Rusty's music was from pieces of Carmina Burana.

This was one of my, if not the, favorite kurs of ALL TIME, up there (for me) with Isabell Werth's kur for Antony (the beatles compilation) and Anky's west-side story kur for Bonfire.

I do cringe at the idea that top riders pay $80K plus for a kur. I mean, how many people have the $$$$ to compete with a orchestra performing specifically for your horse's gaits that is guaranteed to raise your score by a few points??

$80,000 for music, I don't get it.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    and frankly. I thought it sucked.

I really really loved her last freestyle. The one with Anky's own Faaa Laaa Laaa Laaa Laaas.

This new one was booooring. I never even heard a music key change.

blech!!

Ulla had that great music with Rusty a while back. The one that used the Rolex theme for the canter work.
    Loved it!!

We happen to disagree on this last one.

However music is just about taste, and discussions or remarks about what you like or dislike don't make any sense.

Visit the hundred of dressage BB's in the world and you will always get another favourite.

I'm amazed any pro rider has an extra $80K lying around. Other than those born into money, that is. Her clothing line must be doing veeeeeeeeery well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    $80,000 for music, I don't get it.
    This sounds as a lot of money, but since Wibi Soejardi brings out a DVD from this music and Anky's ride, she probably will earn some bucks on it

Theo
    Last edited by freestyle2music; Aug. 21, 2008 at 03:04 PM.

WHAT?. You telling me she didn't hire you?.
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchmike View Post
    WHAT?. You telling me she didn't hire you?.

No I was to busy opening 40 shops in China

Ok good comeback
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

I agree with purplnrpl, I thought it was verrryyyy boring, and repetitive. No discernable bridge, or anything interesting about it. Blahhhh, definitely not worth $80k.

I thought Steffan Peters Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil"/Men Without Hats "We Can Dance" medley was catchy, until the classical part was thrown in the middle, didn't really "fit". But then again, I didn't get to see the whole thing from start to finish! On TV the last 2/3rds of it was completely cut off and then went to commercial, and never showed the rest. Then on the video on the nbcolympics.com website a big chunk was taken out of the middle of it. I was really bummed, because I wanted to see/hear it all! Does anyone know where I can see the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    I mean, how many people have the $$$$ to compete with a orchestra performing specifically for your horse's gaits that is guaranteed to raise your score by a few points??

Probably not too many. But not really necessary with available "virtual orchestra" technology. Input a public domain score, manipulate the balance, tempo, entrances, everything that a conductor would use to interpret the music as appropriate for your horse, and you've got a custom work for $1000 worth of software.

Course, that interpretation part isn't too easy to do if you didn't go to conducting school , but in this day and age there's no reason to hire 50 musicians to actually play the music if it's just going to be broadcast over average loudspeakers in a venue not designed for acoustic considerations. An unfortunate state of affairs for the 10,000 students who graduate with Bachelor's of Music degrees in piano performance every year.

Of course--if anyone wants to hire a conductor and orchestra, send me a PM. I've got a great recomendation.

Speaking of taste, yes it was boring music. I muted it.

Quote Originally Posted by WBLover View Post
    I agree with purplnrpl, I thought it was verrryyyy boring, and repetitive. No discernable bridge, or anything interesting about it. Blahhhh, definitely not worth $80k.

I thought Steffan Peters Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil"/Men Without Hats "We Can Dance" medley was catchy, until the classical part was thrown in the middle, didn't really "fit". But then again, I didn't get to see the whole thing from start to finish! On TV the last 2/3rds of it was completely cut off and then went to commercial, and never showed the rest. Then on the video on the nbcolympics.com website a big chunk was taken out of the middle of it. I was really bummed, because I wanted to see/hear it all! Does anyone know where I can see the whole thing?
    I also really enjoyed Steffen's performance and the music choice and compilation, and the medalists' music choice did not stike me as interesting.

You can see all of Steffen's ride on the NbcOlympics.com, in the Dressage Freestyle rewind. His ride was somewhere in the middle of the 3.5 hr competition. After scrolling through some of it, I found him. Also, they show the order of go at the beginning of the "rewind", so you can figure out approximately where in the "tape" he is.

Default Men Without Hats

I CAN NOT get that electronic part out of my head...very catchy!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Rolex theme????

Rusty's music was from pieces of Carmina Burana.
    you know what I meant. that's what counts.
    anyway. Loved that music. it gives me goose bumps.

and Blue Hors Cavan's music from that same WEG. LOVED IT!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I agree with the post that the music sucked. It didn't add one bit of interest to me and seemed to be just one more part of some formula designed to win a medal, which was clearly the goal and clearly achieved. The performance didn't inspire me any more than a paint-by-numbers oil painting which is what came to mind for some reason while I watched it. As far as I am concerned she could have spent $20 to buy a metronome and have someone speed it up and slow it down depending on the gait.

Macs come with FREE software that you can put together electronic music with, I'll bet I could come up with something better...for NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by evntr06 View Post
    You can see all of Steffen's ride on the NbcOlympics.com, in the Dressage Freestyle rewind. His ride was somewhere in the middle of the 3.5 hr competition. After scrolling through some of it, I found him. Also, they show the order of go at the beginning of the "rewind", so you can figure out approximately where in the "tape" he is.
    Thank you, I was wondering if it was on that video, now I'll definitely look for it!

I thought ALL of the music sucked with the exception of Nadine's. That was the only freestyle that actually ENHANCED the horse's movement. I totally agreed with the Dressage Daily article on the Freestyles.