The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 1/2 * or Prelim?

Assuming you are qualified and ready to move up from training to prelim, would you rather run a 1/2 * or a prelim event. One being a traditional three day event and the other being the more traditional goal for most aspiring middle aged ammie eventers. If you could only prepare for one, which would it be?

I can't wait to hear the answers, as this is a dilemna I've been discussing with my instructor recently.
    "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

Do the T3D!!!! Get a taste of what eventing has always been and should be still. Your horse will thank you for it. You will learn more about your horse and how to care for it. You will have a blast and when you do take that horse Prelim, he will be so keen you won't believe it.
    I can't imagine skipping the T3D, now that full formats are so scarce. If people skip them, they too will become extinct.

Well, I'm sort of in that spot--I am technically qualified for both. I'm not ready for Prelim and won't be before next spring in the best case scenario (even that is doubtful). However, I can't do the T3DE in this area b/c I'm a teacher (still a new one), and it runs over the first few days of school. I had thought of heading to CA for the T3DE there, but my horse has struggled with illness the last few weeks. It would be unfair to her, and I'd rather save my days off for multiple HTs this spring instead. I may try for it next year, when I will be thinking more seriously about Prelim.

If it were a simple question of "you're ready, pick one" I would choose the T3DE hands down b/c it preps you for Prelim, it helps keep the sport alive, and it teaches you SO MUCH. I can do Prelim after the T3DE.

T3Day for sure. I was all set to do the one at Briar Fox but they cancelled due to lack of entries. Then I found out that I was going to have to change jobs and I couldn't do the one at Heritage because I haven't been at my new job long enough. I wish the HTs around here would have their T3Days later in the fall though...... heat is a huge factor for me and the one at Heritage made me nervous being in August and the one in Waco in May was reported to be tough due to the heat. My horse could handle it probably fine, but my asthma gives me fits if I get too hot......just a thought to organizers.

Bobbi

The T3D, without question. My reasons, in no particular order:

1. They really need our support in order to grow
    2. Preliminary HTs are a dime a dozen and you can always do those later
    3. Preparing for a T3D is so much more comprehensive and will teach you so much about your horse and the sport the way it's meant to be played
    4. Once you've done a T3D, that step up to Prelim will be a lot easier. Trust me on that one.
    5. Every horse deserves to do a three day. They feel like Godzilla (in a good way) after XC and I don't think that feeling ever wears off.
    Click here before you buy.

T3D for sure! The bonding with your horse will be amazing, and with phases A,C, and especially B as a warm-up you'll probably end up with an AWESOME XC ride. That kind of ride can be such a great foundation for a successful career at prelim and higher. I almost feel a T3D should be mandatory before moving up!

I almost feel a T3D should be mandatory before moving up!
    Hear, hear! That would be brilliant. Too bad there aren't enough of them . . . yet.

Hi, I'm confussed. What does T3D mean? WHat is the dfference between the Half star and prelim? I am new..so I hope you don't mind me asking about all this.
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

T3D= Training 3 day. It is training level height but follows the classic long format. So while heights are lower than Preliminary level, the difficulty would actually be greater. In the old long format, Prelim level 3 days were CCI 1* (Intermediate was CCI 2*, Advanced CCI 3* and 4*), so the Training 3day has been named a 1/2 * (though it is not recognized by the FEI).

That sounds fun. I cant wait to do one! thank you.
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    ......(though it is not recognized by the FEI)......
    Thank God. We have to keep it that way!!

Do the T3DE please!! Keep them in our sport, and it will prepare you for Prelim, plus it's a great opportunity to do a long format event. There really aren't many left! I would take the T3DE over the Prelim any day. Like others have said, there are so many Prelim HTs, but not many T3DEs.
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Default T3D!!

Do the T3d for sure, it made my move up spring sooooooo much easier and soooooo much more sucessful!!!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Quote Originally Posted by tlw View Post
    Assuming you are qualified and ready to move up from training to prelim, would you rather run a 1/2 * or a prelim event. One being a traditional three day event and the other being the more traditional goal for most aspiring middle aged ammie eventers. If you could only prepare for one, which would it be?

Depends on the horse and depends on the rider. If you have not had experience with a long format three day....either riding, or grooming....then def. do the 1\2*. At the end of the day...that is an educational experience and if you need the education you should do it.

For others....there could be reasons that it is more beneficial to run Prelim. While I do think a 1/2* is a very good prep for prelim...I do not think it is necessary either. Many horses and riders have moved up successfuly to run Prelim and do a CCI* without having done a 1/2*. Whether you run a 1/2* or a CCI*.....it is a big time commitment.....and will be a ton of fun when you are done!

I don't think either would be a wrong choice.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default Training 3 Day in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Pirate View Post
    Well, I'm sort of in that spot--I am technically qualified for both. I'm not ready for Prelim and won't be before next spring in the best case scenario (even that is doubtful). However, I can't do the T3DE in this area b/c I'm a teacher (still a new one), and it runs over the first few days of school. I had thought of heading to CA for the T3DE there, but my horse has struggled with illness the last few weeks. It would be unfair to her, and I'd rather save my days off for multiple HTs this spring instead. I may try for it next year, when I will be thinking more seriously about Prelim.

If it were a simple question of "you're ready, pick one" I would choose the T3DE hands down b/c it preps you for Prelim, it helps keep the sport alive, and it teaches you SO MUCH. I can do Prelim after the T3DE.

Hi - I'm in SW Washington and see you are in OR talking about a T3D. Just in case you are talking about the Lincoln Creek 1/2* at Training -- this is the LAST year it will be offered (and I'm not aware of very many in this area, which is why I'm sticking my nose in your business). So ... if you're even thinking about it ... DO IT!

Edited to add: They have, in the past, done an unrecognized all level (yes, even grasshopper, hopeful, beginner novice, and novice) full format - they are not doing it this year and it is not clear if we will do it next year.

This is my daughter's first year at Training level and she's been working her fanny off since Spring to ensure she can do the 1/2* since it will likely be the only one she will do for many years. She has done the unrecognized full format and it was a BLAST!

Looks like 1/2* is the big winner! My horse has run numerous (maybe 15) novice in England (like our prelim), one 1* (Hartpury College - 2d place) and 2 intermediates. All of those with, I think, only 2 cross country jumping penalties. I on the other hand, am a 56 year old amateur with a demanding day job who has never ventured above training. I always wanted to do a 3 day and then when I got my wonderful mare 3 years ago thought we just might make it. We have been very successful at training level and both are ready for more. Prelim seemed like the logical next step but I am really interested in the 3 day experience, for many of the reasons stated above. So, I guess it looks like FL Horse Park here we come.

Can anybody point me to a place where I can find out what the specifcations are (i.e., steeplechase speed & height, etc.)?

Steeplechase speed is usually 520 mpm (same as Prelim HT speed) and the height of the SC fences is 3'7", but the horses just treat them like speed bumps.

R&T is usually 200-220mpm for phase A, a bit slower for phase C. A steady trot for phase A, mix of walk and trot for phase C.

You will LOVE IT. I'm hoping to do one in 2010, sooner only if the planets align perfectly, etc.

3'-7" for SC? I hope some of that is brush! Thanks for the info. 520 is not a problem since we usually go just under that for x-country anyway (practicing for prelim). I'm getting excited already. Thanks for the info.